Need Some Help Here

:
2002 Mazda protege5
ok i just got my 2002,5-speed pro5 and love it, but need some help.

What would be some cost-effective ways to increase hp?

I ordered the Turbonator it was cheap and it couldnt hurt so wat the hell right?
Also wat would be a good air intake to get and exhaust system?

And finaly does anyone know if those brake capiler spaypaint works??
Also feel free to add anymore advice to help, besides you are the best to ask.

Please help me out i would really appreciate it

Welcome to the forums. :)

Most of the questions you're asking have been asked hundreds of times before--use the search function to find all your answers.

If you wanted a fast car you should have gotten something else. But the best addons are the MP3 ECU, intake, header, catback exhaust, underdrive pulley, maybe JDM cams--those extra 20 hp will cost you about $2K + installation.

I think what josh is talking about is the P5 does not respond well to NA mods. You can put a lot of work to get 20WHP more than stock and a lil more if you spend the money to maybe 60WHP total. When it's all said and done to get the extra 60WHP NA you could have gotten at least 100WHP with a turbo. Though turbos require a lot of prep to make your engine and tranny last.

Though if you want to go NA he is right there are few mods that will make your car work better:

(thumb) ColdAirIntake-The intake will make your car sound better and remove restriction. I personally have a Injen styled one that goes in the fender well to truly get cold air. $240-protege garage

(rockon) UnderDrive Crank Pulley-It will reduce unsprung weight on the engine allowing it to work easier and rev better. Also besides being light it's also 15% smaller allowing you to use less HP to turn the water pump, alternator, powersteering and AC. This helps with the loss you get from using AC and helps with freeway cruising! The one I am talking about is UR UDP-$190-protege garage

(alright) SLS Motor Mounts- I have the front & side and it does not techically add HP but adds responsiviness. Since it keep the engine from moving as much, it does not waste HP on traction. This will add slight vibration to the cabin at idle, but very light. I would only not recommend this mod if you sit in traffic all the time, as it would probably drive you up the wall after sitting in traffic for hours. This mod helps that delay you get when you stomp on the gas. $163+ shipping-SLS

(yippy) VTCS removal - The VTCS is that annoying metal fluttering you hear. They are metal valves in the intake manifold (there is a DYI). It is suppose to help swirl the air for better warm up of the prep cat when the car is cold. Though it not only heats the air, but it gets in the air flow's way in the upper range. A removal of this would help air flow and the upper power range. There should be no problem with using a stock ecu with this, most that have problems missed a vaccum line. Remember to leave the soloid and cap it off. While you have to take the intake off there is some other mods.....
~$0 I am not sure the cost of the metal proxy and caps needed should only be a couple of bucks, though you may need new gaskets

(cool) Intake Manifold spacers- It's a fact the intake manifold and throttle body will heat up from being attached to the engine, and thus heat the air before it get to the engine. Spacers will help stop the heating of these pieces by 20 degrees and help the incoming cold air from your CAI stay cold until it reaches the engine. This helps get more air in the engine. $55- NSN motorsports

(yes) Port and Polish of Intake Manifold- You need to becareful doing this as you can mess up and take too much material. There is a DYI if your interested in not paying someone else to do it. $0

(glare) Port and Polish of Cylinder Head- This help the flow of air as this is another big restriction. Our heads do not flow well stock. $500 and $599 if you do not supply head.

(drive) Flywheel- A lightened Flywheel will help the engine work better sort of like the lightened UDP. This will of course make it harder to shift, in the sense you have less time before the rpm's drop for matching. Obviously this will only work on Manuals $349.00-protege garage
(10) Stand Alone Engine Management- I have not looked into which one is the best, but I have heard that on a stock car alone there is more power and smooth power to be had! Now imagine you tune the car with all the mods on it! $1,199.99 microtech -protege garage

(poke) Losing Weight- This is a very broad statement, but the less there is to move around, the better the car handles, the faster the car can move, better braking, and better mpg! This could be take as two fold. Lightening the car and losing weight your self. Obviously this will not work for everyone. Though if you got extra crap in the car, get rid of it! I know you want thoughs awesome subs, but man do they weight the car down. That battery is heavy as all get out, replace it will a dynaBatt. That hood, go carbon fiber and lose some weight. Any other panels that are able to be carbon fiber go for it! Stock spoiler, carbon fiber buddy. Wheels, go light and not thoughs chrome 20" dubs you want. Seriously, chrome wheels weigh more and larger wheels will general weigh more as well. Why do you think though older civics, crx's and lotus's race so well-----weight and the lack there of. $varies on parts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now all these mods will help (except maybe the CAI) if you decide to go turbo later. These next mods will have to be replaced if you go turbo.

(headbang) Header- You can get the ODX 4-1 header, but it gives power to the upper RPM ranges. Our cars and daily driving is closer to low to mid range. The other problem is the mid pipe's restrictiviness. With a 4-2-1 header on E-bay for the MX-6 or 626 2.0 you are basicly getting the rare madza racing header. Yes there is more work to make it work, but thus is the case. You need to get the EGR bung welded shut and a new one weld in the correct place. Then you need a new mid pipe welded up because the new header is longer and takes up some of the OEM mid pipe. This is to your advantage as getting a bigger mid pipe and a high flow cat will help. The header in general will help because the pre-cat is holding heat in the engine and impeding exhaust flow. I am not sure about weight, but I think this setup should weigh less too! Something will need to be done about the second O2 sensor of course. $170+misc parts+weld labor+high flow cat=~$370-Ebay and a local exhaust shop

(band) Catback exhaust- Well you can get one of these and it will give a few hp, but mainly it's for sound. The most popular because of sound and not droning at highway speeds is Racing Beat Catback. If you get a turbo, you will want a exhaust and it wil help alot more then. $450-protege garage

MP3 ECU- This will only work on manual cars and I am told is hard to get a hold of. This will increase timing, and require you to use 91-93 octane gas. This will give you a big increase, probably 8. Would be pointless if you got the standlone route.

:eek: Cams- A more aggressive cam will help with getting more air in the engine. You need to do research on what type of cam you want depending on the goal your looking for. $549-protege garage

(burnout) Rods and Pistons- You might notice that our compression ratio is low compared to other cars. Well in Japan besides cams they also had higher compression to yield more power. You will definitely need a stand alone engine management at this point to be able to use the higher compression. It would also be wise to make sure the air/fuel ratio is good so you do not kill your engine. Some people have bored and got slight bigger pistions to increase displacement. $599-protege garage

For all this without installation, I think your looking at ~$4,620. Now mind you they will help your car be more efficient and get better gas mileage. Also with a turbo you still need to beef up the engine with rods and pistions and tranny. So if i take out the higher compression rods and pistions, you are about $4,220. Though there are increased problems with turbos because of vaccum and oil leaks, so it's not a trouble free setup. I hope this helps and remember, some of these mods can also be used when you turbo.

Magus

Last edited:
Oh to answer your questions, yes the brake caliper paint should work. The G2 where you paint it on works the best. I would recommend you clean them first of course. The turbonator is a waste of money, sorry man. Oh I am sorry I really went over board on the mods....hehehehe.

Magus

Magus your are AWESOME!!! I was wondering what that whistling sound was at 3000rpm, now I know. thanks. and if I did a CAI and Intake Manifold mod, would that remove the vtcs to get rid of the whistling?

another question on paint. How do I paint my stock wheels? I'm thinking about going gold with black accent stripes. would I use the same high temp spray paint as for the calipers? any special technique? will it be safe?

As for the whistling that is actually the roof rack if you have that on your car. I took it off and put the front caps on ($50 at the stealership). What I am talking about on the VTCS sounds like a metal fluttering. You should be able to hear this when you first start up your car and it's cold. You would also hear it about 3000 rpm's when they shut open and are fluttering with the increased air.

The CAI will do nothing about the VTCS. That simply attachs to the throttle body. If you take off the intake manifold you will be able to get the VTCS butterlies out and the rod. There is a DYI section that covers the VTCS removal. I would give you more information, but have yet to do this because this would put me in another class in Autocrossing.

Painting the wheels, there should be a dyi as well.

updated with some prices....

Magus

Last edited:
Also I pass on the right, because people think they live in europe.(hand) As long as they leave one of the lanes open for me to pass, it's ok. It's when the slow and the slower race and block the lanes that it gets me upset.

Magus

Magus said:
Probably the most comprehensive answer I have seen, and 99% correct! Well done.

I think it should be mentioned that some of the mods listed, such as head work, aggressive cams, and headers, for example, tend to improve high-rpm performance an the expense of everyday driveability--something to consider beforer going all-out on an FSDE NA build.

It might be better to take your car to Canada and have a KLZE 2.5L V6 dropped in for $4K. :)

Thank you Josh. Crap, I forgot all about the 2.5 V6 option. Kids don't try this at home (omg)

DSC01331.jpg

Magus

lol! left lane is passing. but I do pass on the right too. I jus don't like to because its deemed "aggressive". but what are all those wires????

how much power does that 2.5L v6 kick out? do I hear "road trip"?

blacklable4312@ said:
I ordered the Turbonator it was cheap and it couldnt hurt so wat the hell right?

It can hurt. its an object, blocking and changing airflow patterns. Mythbusters did a couple tests involving these.

They are a waste. Get your money back before you do harm. Also over time and wear, the small aluminum fins can break down and get into your intake manifold, and that would be horrible!

Return it.

Last edited:
Here is what your looking for:

K8DE 1.8V6 - 130hp-110tq
K8ZE 1.8v6 - 144hp - 115tq
KFZE -2.0v6 - 160hp - 132tq
KJZE - 2.3 V6S/C - 217hp - 210tq
KLDE - 2.5v6 -170hp-150tq
KLze - 2.5v6 - 196hp-165tq

Ah, doesn't that look sweet?
DSC02133.jpg

Though wires are the harness pulled apart to make the old harness work.

Here is my conversation regarding the swap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
OK here is the deal. I have a Protege5 02 with an auto. I would need the KL-ZE and manual tranny from a MX-6 (around 96?). So is what I am hearing that you mix and match an OBD II and OBD I wiring harness so the dash works right, or are you using the MX-6 dash?

Normally I would not care about OBD II, but I need them to be able to plug up and say it's good for emissions.

Also since your already droping in the engine and redoing the harness is it that much harder to drop in a manual in as well?

I Figure find a MX-6 front clip

Also do you guys have a website or address? I live in the US, but damn if this is not a cool idea!

ADDITION: If the TwoFast Racing is the right address your only a 8 hr 42 min trip north! How much would a conversion like this cost? And since I would be coming a pretty far distance, would it be easier to have your guys get the parts and would that be included in the cost of the conversion?

Magus

Domspun
A 98-02 626 V6 manual front clip would be the best in your case and it's about 3 to 4000 plus the KL-ZE, plus labor, so it would go up between 6 and 7k! A little bit pricey, but you'l have an OBDII KL-ZE, also you'll have bigger front discs from the 626(same size as the Mazdaspeed).

You can e-mail me at info@twofast.ca
An auto to manual conversion would be a little more work, but while we're at it, why not!!

blacklable4312@ said:
ok i just got my 2002,5-speed pro5 and love it, but need some help.

What would be some cost-effective ways to increase hp?

Also wat would be a good air intake to get and exhaust system?

And finaly does anyone know if those brake capiler spaypaint works??
Also feel free to add anymore advice to help, besides you are the best to ask.

Please help me out i would really appreciate it

PLEASE, tell us the results of the turbonator in a new thread when you get it. There are so many ppl here that blow it off. The rest of us are intrigued but don't have the balls to put up the cash.

why do the v6's have such low dispacement??? but anywho, thanks for the info. I'll stick with the stock 2.0 4 cylinder. is it a big difference between your newer v6 and the old i4?

P5inMD said:
why do the v6's have such low dispacement??? but anywho, thanks for the info. I'll stick with the stock 2.0 4 cylinder. is it a big difference between your newer v6 and the old i4?
Look at it from a design requirement (rather than a bigger-is-better) point of view. If your design requires a 2.5L engine, the V6 configuration is a natural choice because it's inherently free from second-order vibrations and its dimensions are compact, compared to a similar size inline-4.

25% increase in displacement is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you're starting with an engine as handicapped as our FSDE.

Back