My Page Is Up, '03 Laser Blue Mica MP5

jrodhotrod

Contributor
:
2003 Mazda Protege5 (Mine) 2002 Nissan Sentra GXE (Wife's)
Hey guys,

I just wanted share, that I have got the basics in place for my website. I have some pictures up of my 2003 Laser Blue Protege5. Included also are pictures of the bug shield install, My first Mod! :D Let me know what you think, I'll be spending a lot more time developing my site and putting up pictures of everything I do to it along with directions where possible. Check it out here: http://www.surfergeek.net/protege5/

Last edited:
The bug guard protects the hood paint from scratches and what not. I drive 70 miles round trip every day for my daily commute and the roads I take are under pretty heavy construction right now. Thus I deal with more then your average amount of pebbles and crap getting kicked up off the roadway with the potential to hurt my new baby. So I thought it looked good, and it helps protect the car too.

Dexter said:
but doesnt it only protect, liek, that small area of the car? :confused:

Yep, just like a Magnetic Bra. The leading edge of the hood is where the majority of the rock chips will occur.. my car is a testament to that.

Your car and site look great Jrod... Was the install of the bug shield as easy as it looked? I am interested in getting one before too long... I almost forgot, welcome to the board!

fast drvr - The bug shield install was a piece of cake. The most difficult part is taking out the one-way plastic tabs that hold the hood seal in place and even that isn't too hard. It's really very nice, that's a reason I spent the extra money and got the Mazda bug shield.

Mr. Joel - The pictures were taken down in South County out in the Uvas Canyon area.

Nope. That's the paint from the factory. For 2003 Laser Blue Mica is a new paint choice on the Protege5. In the past it was only available on the MP3

hihi...nice color..i wish i have he 2003 p5...
just one quesiton..how come the headlight is not blacken?
there are pics in this forum that show the 2003 p5 has a blacken headlight..and i actually saw a 2003 p5 with the blacken headlight....
by the way..i live in canada though~~~

I have the same bug deflector. In my opinion I think It makes the car look better with it on. When I see Yellow P5s with out it, I think they look naked.

As far as the headlights go, I believe the balckened headlights are only in Canada. Mine and all the others at the dealer where i bought mine had the standard silver headlights.

Has anyone seen the 2003 Protege sedan? It also has that great laser blue paint job. Look's great. Saw one at the dealer when I was buying parts. A little confusing; I thought I was looking at an older MP3! Duh!:) :D

Nice car.. ;) (I have a similar one on order )

In Canada they are coming with LEather Wrapped Stering wheel and 5 speed shift knob. Are they doing that change to the US version?

Also found out from Mazda Canada that the US roof rack may be discontinued as it produced a lot of wind noise. They removed it off the Canadian version.

I personally like the look of it and would like it on mine.. but you cant please veryone.

I'm trying to decide to get the MAzdsa Bugsheild or the magnetic bra...

b

My fisrt set of pics, large file sizes.

2003 Canadian model.

Attachments

• kif_0009a (58).jpg
    kif_0009a (58).jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 175
Where did you purchase the bug shield? I bought a Magnetic bra about 1 year ago, and it started cracking about 3 mths ago. Ive also heard other people have discoloration problems with the magnetic bra and regular leather bra.

How does the bug shield hook on the hood? Does it use metal clamps? I notice with my moonroof deflector, the rubber gasket actually ate into the roof a little bit.

Rawny 12017,

I got my custom enclosure from a guy on the ProtegeClub forums. It actually looks almost exactly like yours, I'll have pictures of it installed when I get the rest of my system down. Here is a thread on here with links to the protegeclub forums: http://www.protege5.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7335

The bug shield I bought from Mazda of Wooster on Ebay. Great to deal with and fair prices. It's pretty easy to put in, you pull 4 plastic tabs, and screw the shield into the holes, then you put some special 3m tape on the hood towards the outer edges and plastic clips go on there. Its supposed to not damage the paint.

Back