My First Car is a MP5!

Connor

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Well being that I get my license real soon, Just the other day (Sunday) I bought my first car, a 2003 Mazda Protege5.
I've been researching different vehicles for the past 6 months and decided on the MP5. So far, it seems like the right car for me. The seats fold down so I can put my surfboards right in there, and it gets much better gas mileage than any other car I would be able to put my boards in.
We purchased the car in Orlando for $3100 with 188,000 miles already on it. But, with good maintenance this car should get me to college I hope!

The first thing I plan on doing is getting roof racks, so I can have the option of putting boards up there if there's more passengers. Then, I want to get a new stereo receiver with aux and USB on them (Any Suggestions < $80). And save up a little more money and look into doing yellow foglight mods. But that's the plan so we'll see.

I'll try to post some pictures soon once I figure the uploads out. It's not a perfect car, it's got some dents and scratches here and there but it should get the job done! Let me know any suggestions if you have them or any sites you guys recommend for parts in the future. Thanks.(lol2)

Oh and my avatar and profile picture is the car to get an idea...

Nice congrats. Welcome to mazda247.

Is it auto or 5spd? I have a pretty stock MP5 and its pretty fun. Good people mover, and has decent inside room. pretty easy maintenance, has a couple issues over time due to its design. Still good for another 100k miles as long as it doesn't already burn oil or something. Look at your timing belt. make sure its not about to snap. just take off the cover and look. Read up on that job, cuz its not that difficult but you definitely want to know it gets done on time. Don't run premium unless you go to an MSP ecu, it does great on the cheap stuff. I like the curves with this car.

Congrats and welcome! Luckily you are in FL so maint. will be all you need to stay up on. I'm currently fighting the battle against rust and hoping the car will get my daughter through college.

As Mookhaasa said, check that tb and if it hasn't been done, get it replaced! My snapped around 160K and took two cylinders with it so I ended up replacing the engine. Manual states it should be replaced every 105K. Also want to clarify his comment about the MSP ECU, I think he meant to say MP3 ECU. The MP3 Protg ECU is a direct replacement and will smooth out the power band but will only work with a manual transmission.

You can easily find a hu these days for around that price with the aux and USB. I put a JVC KD-HDR61 model in in 2012 and love it. Picked it up for $99 from Crutchfield and then bought the Bluetooth adapter for another $70. If I were you I'd spend a little more for one that has Bluetooth built-in.

Hey at 188K she's gonna have some dings and dents, just give her some TLC and she'll take good care of you. :)

Back