My Oil Analysis Results

Since I bought the car last year around this time i've changed it 3 times. The first time at like 4k or so..the second time I did like at 7k interval and tomorrow im gonna change it again at a 6k interval. I use AMSoil and everything is fine. And i drive around Vegas all the week, already at 17k and running strong.

valvoline actually recommends 3k interval oil chages for ALL oils (and why wouldn't they? :) ). i think that is a bit overkill, so i'm just going to stick with 4-5k.....

Yea i changed it already and I had been noticing that my shifting was not as smooth as before. I thought that it was just me doing bad shifting but once I changed the oil, the shifting was waaaay smoother! So im guessing that it was the oil that made it like that. So yup, I think im gonna make 4-5k intervals now, just to be on the safe side. I really like the oil though, it made a huge difference. I do recommend it to everyone, AMSOIL the first in synthetics.

\ Very interesting. How do i submit oil to these guys for analysis? Is there a particular way you guys prefer to extract the sample and a particular way you store it for shipping? i'd like to do this as well.

I changed my oil at the dealership the first time at 1.5K then again at 6k with Pennzoil platinum. Then again at 10k with Castrol Edge, which i think i will be using from now on unless i find a reason not to. I'll be interested to see how the break in looks as my car has 14.8K on it now (2009 - 8 months old) I've gone to 3 Autocross events with it.

wix filters for me, and 5k changes with synthetic valvoline.... i thought to go to 6k or 7k... but i just can't seem to do it :)

i've always run valvoline in my chevrolet engines, with total sucess (racing 40w and 50w for the most part)... and now i'm running the synthetic 5/30 'synpower' they offer in the speed and the tundra. they offer some kind of engine damage warranty, but i don't care about that.

is anyone else running the synpower valvoline?

Yep, I am. I take it to the dealer and have them do the oil change; I get the oil I want and still have an established relationship with the dealer.

Oh, you can do that?? Take them your own oil and then just let them do the work??
If so, how much do they charge you for labor?

\ Very interesting. How do i submit oil to these guys for analysis? Is there a particular way you guys prefer to extract the sample and a particular way you store it for shipping? i'd like to do this as well.

I changed my oil at the dealership the first time at 1.5K then again at 6k with Pennzoil platinum. Then again at 10k with Castrol Edge, which i think i will be using from now on unless i find a reason not to. I'll be interested to see how the break in looks as my car has 14.8K on it now (2009 - 8 months old) I've gone to 3 Autocross events with it.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Oh, you can do that?? Take them your own oil and then just let them do the work??
If so, how much do they charge you for labor?

Off the top of my head, I don't remember. All they do is subtract out the price of the oil from the invoice and charge for the filter and labor.

Mmmm...I might consider buying the oil myself and taking it to them next time to do the oil change. Just like you said, to keep a relationship with the dealer.

Back