My new CX-5 is already in the shop :(

barb, keep us posted on you likes and dislike....a cx5 could be in future, thanks!

Can you say LOVE? Plus... I drove a lot on the highway yesterday and got 35.5 mpg. Awesome!

Maybe a dumb question but it's never stopped me before. If you do hit the start/stop button by mistake when moving, can you just press it to restart or must you be in park/neutral?

Total non-issue. Anyone talking about the positioning of the wiper stalk and the push start button is exaggerating. I'm 6'3" and have no issues whatsoever with the placement.

Personally I dont think the button is any closer than any other push button car ive driven. And I dont see how I would hit it either, but thats just me i suppose.

It is closer than most, especially if steering wheel is adjusted fairly close to dash. I just looked at my Lexus this morning and the START button was much further away from wiper stalk and more visible.

But for a vast majority of drivers it's a non-issue.

I agree this is a bit too close to the wiper stalk from the photo. From my test drive I didn't notice it though.

In our bimmer the start/stop button is much lower than the stalk. In the E90 3 series, the button is quite high on the dash.

As with the Toyota cars, if people can hit the gas pedal when they mean to brake, then it's possible there might be a couple of cases people accidentally hitting the button when it rains. It'll be a hard decision for Mazda - whether to relocate it.

Juuuuust sayin. and ill be damned if i go to a dealer and they know more about a particular model i am there to see than i do. in fact, i welcome the arguments

one guy argued with me that they all had HIDs

anyway...im trolling the cx5 stuff cuz im seriously considering one. and i hate to say it, but its the first model year gunea pigs that make waiting to buy a car worthwhile

Like you, I have low expectations for car sales people and discount and filter-out just about anything they say.

Being a first year genea pig (not to be confused with Kia hamster) is a non-issue, especially if you read through this thread about this non-issue. Mazda has a good history of product launches in recent years, so CX-5 will probably be similar. The better automakers can release new products successfully because they do the thorough reliability/durability/quality testing prior to first production run.

Total non-issue. Anyone talking about the positioning of the wiper stalk and the push start button is exaggerating. I'm 6'3" and have no issues whatsoever with the placement.
maybe for you, it's close enough that you could hit it back accident as she apprently did (not sure how your height plays into this?)

maybe for you, it's close enough that you could hit it back accident as she apprently did (not sure how your height plays into this?)

How can you say this? you only saw a video of the CX5 interior. Maybe go out and sit in one, it takes effort to move the hand to push it. unless you have gorilla hands or something

I dont care how much something is tested, the REAL test comes from the consumers. there is always another way to neglect or break something. there are always a million more environmental factors not taken into accoubt. etc etc etc. if every car were perfect there would be no need for mechanics, and there is no shortage of mechanics

and thats another thing i love about dealers, they like to say the car was extensively and thuroughly tested. blah blah blah, the FDA tests food too and suddenly an outbreak of ecoli happens

ill wait till the tsb's and recalls die down before i open my wallet

It's actually rather simple how my height plays into it. At 6'3', my arm-to-arm length is just under 7", so logic dictates that with that kind of arm length, accidental presses of an allegedly ill-placed start button would be more the norm rather than the exception. Clearly, I don't have any issues with the placement. There are other variables to consider as well, such as steering wheel and driver seat placement. In my case, the steering wheel is angled as high as it can be given my height with the drivers seat set almost half way back from its default position. The button is not placed in such a poor place that accidental touches are going to be the norm.

It really boils down to one thing: people who don't own or haven't test drove the car looking for reasons to justify their own opinions.

Can someone please submit a large photo of the button related to the wiper stalk? I think visibility of the button is also important, so that user doesn't touch it when they shouldn't. With BMW 3 series (E90), it's high on the dash and you have to specifically reach for it.

is350+start_button.jpgdash start button.jpg

Yep, there's the start button. See the 2 images I put up at the top of this post.

1. First image is the IS350 START button (I have one of these cars in garage and I looked at it today), notice how it's away from the steering column and below wiper stalk.
2. Second image is the CX-5 START button, notice how it's closer to steering column and for most drivers of average heights completely blocked by wiper stalk .

In short, no not all cars are the same with the location of START button.

Last edited:
It is closer than most, especially if steering wheel is adjusted fairly close to dash. I just looked at my Lexus this morning and the START button was much further away from wiper stalk and more visible.

But for a vast majority of drivers it's a non-issue.

Also, female drivers tend to have longer fingernails...

2007 IS350 old gas pedal.jpg

Here's an better picture of dash and START button in a Lexus, it is not blocked by wiper stalk. (START button is mounted closer to center of dash and lower)

Back