My new CX-5 is already in the shop :(

A tech I know said that Mazda was taking any Skyactiv issue VERY seriously. To the point where they did not want any tech to touch Mz3's with Skyactiv when they first released them. All they could do was change the oil. Not surprising since Mazda has a lot riding on Skyactiv. FWIW the techs in my areas have said that except for a flash update to the Engine PCM there has been ZERO issues with Skyactiv (at least in our area) since the Mz3 came out a year ago.

FWIW it's worth I also noted how close the right stalk was to the Start button during a test drive. If this becomes a big problem I expect Mazda will reposition/redesign the dashboard for the button. I also find it funny that people start mentioning the lemon law right away. Jeez, give the company a chance. Issues are inevitable, it's all in how their handled that really separates the good companies form bad.

Last edited:
AFAIK Mazda has a good track record with new vehicle releases over the last five years. I would not have been comfortable buying a new Sonic, for example, because GM can't say the same. But really the last big problem I heard about Mazdas was the RX8 rotary engine issues. And Mazda seemed to do a good job at a corporate level of cleaning up after that mess by extending the warranty on the motor.

By comparison, I was kind of interested in the Ford Mustang for awhile, but I'm pretty uncomfortable with the manual transmission. There's been a lot of reports of problems and Ford's response so far has been to kind of sweep the issue under the rug.

I'm more confident in Mazda's new product launches than Ford's easily.

I recently had a 2007 Ford Explorer V8 that was average/mediocre. And the 2011 redesigned Explorer was even less reliable (below average), multiple issues.

I would just put my hand under the lever to turn the car on and off. They think that I might have accidently hit the button when I was going for the windshield wiper. It is quite possible. They also showed me what happens when you are stopped and you press the button. It was identical to what happened to me. So.....I think the issue is solved.

My baaaad. But if it happens to one of you at least you will know what it's from.

So after that whole ordeal, you were just turning it off yourself?

I appreciate the honesty of the OP and the quick feedback provided after the service visit. Again, thanks Barbaracj.

I'm willing to bet the wiper stalk will be changed at some point so it won't be so close and in front of start button, simple enough fix.

When they first came out with these push button starts you had to push and hold the button on most of them to turn the engine off. I wonder if that deal with the Lexus and the trooper not being able to figure out how to shut the car down and people got killed made the car companies change it to turn off very easily......maybe too easily.

while test drive a cx5, i actually had the thoughts and asked the sales person that what would happen if the start button was pushed while he was driving and he was nice enough to test it since he didnt know the answer to that and the engine turned off itself as soon the button was pushed while we were cruising around in the parkin lot, lol

The rep told me that while driving, you won't be able to turn the car off if you hit the button. But, if you needed to shut it down for some reason then press the button 3 x and the engine will go off.

I guess consulting the OWNERS MANUAL instead of a salesman is out of the question?

Take it easy. How many people have owner's manuals in front of them when they are taking a test drive? It is very natural to ask a salesman about something like this but with the understanding that a lot of them don't have a clue. I wish they would just say "I don't have a clue" but I guess that is human nature to want to appear more knowing then we really are. Now, if you already own a CX-5.....you have no excuse.(eyeballs)

Agreed, let's be nice to OP, she gave us honest feedback on a issue that originated due to poor ergonimics of a couple key controls. No need to rip her for not reading owners manual, blah, blah, blah.

love to see said button?

That's exactly the point, there is nothing to see.

Sitting in the drivers seat properly, the wiper stalk nearly covers or hides the START button, it's right on top of said button. I noticed it the first time I drove the CX. But it actually works fine and I haven't given it a second thought in 6 weeks (until I read this thread that is).

Juuuuust sayin. and ill be damned if i go to a dealer and they know more about a particular model i am there to see than i do. in fact, i welcome the arguments

one guy argued with me that they all had HIDs

anyway...im trolling the cx5 stuff cuz im seriously considering one. and i hate to say it, but its the first model year gunea pigs that make waiting to buy a car worthwhile

just saw a video of the cx5 and yes, that start button is very close to the stalk, i could see this happening very easily

Personally I dont think the button is any closer than any other push button car ive driven. And I dont see how I would hit it either, but thats just me i suppose.

Personally I dont think the button is any closer than any other push button car ive driven. And I dont see how I would hit it either, but thats just me i suppose.
well in a new car when you're not as familar with the placement of everything it would be real easy reaching for the stalk to hit the dash and because said button is right behind it could have happend....after some time in the car and certainly after doing this once, the OP will be a lot more careful i'm sure!

Back