My 1st Quarter Mile experience...

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
1st off I wanna say I have a lot to learn about driving. The faster car doesn't always win. Anyways...

1st_quarter_mile.jpg

My 1st race was with a very fast eclipse. As you can see by my reaction time, I have never done this before! All I can say is that the near 100 degree temps, and the lack of propper fuel delivery/consistancy killed me. Oh, and let's not forget my gross inexperience. I lost soo bad that Pirana left the stands.:(

The 2nd race was with a cool Spec V owner who didn't talk s***, and was about having fun. I'm glad. This time I was on the left side, and when I launched, my reaction time was I think worse. When I did launch, I spent the 1st two seconds spinning my tires, while the Spec V was gaining traction before I did. Once I gained traction I spent the rest of the race catching the Spec V. He was ahead by a nose the whole way until the last 100 ft, where I started to feel more power kick in, and I started passing him steadily, but it was too late. Just as I was going to pass, the 1/4 mi was over and he beat me by 4/100th's of a second. Damn I need some fuel management so I can run more boost...oh yeah, and a LSD would help too.:mad: Without my mistakes and inexperience I know I still could have ran at least 1 second faster!!!

That's just pitiful but its ok and expected. Just work on it patrick ... It will get better.:D

Maybe try turning off the John Tesh and pumping something else? :D

Last edited:
PortCityMP3 said:
That's just pitiful but its ok and expected. Just work on it patrick ... It will get better.:D

Maybe try turning off the John Tesh and pumping something else? :D

John Tesh only gets play in MP3 format on my computer at home.:D ...and only that one song. Most of the time it's some kick-ass break beat tailor made for driving.

I'm sorry, but thats pitiful...lol(spank)

If I were you, I would go to the track EVERY weekend till I get one second quicker. I know your car can easily do it.

Oh yeah, lsd is your best friend.(burnout)

i guess im not going to post when i get my quarter times, being with my p5 and all...why do the tickets say 04MAR00?

Its an easy fix................ when your at a stop light late at night, pratice your launches, get yourself a rev/speed meter to help you out. I've done a 16.3 in my P5!!!!!!!!!!, but then again I wasnt at the track.

LinuxRacr said:
1st off I wanna say I have a lot to learn about driving. The faster car doesn't always win. Anyways...

1st_quarter_mile.jpg

My 1st race was with a very fast eclipse. As you can see by my reaction time, I have never done this before! All I can say is that the near 100 degree temps, and the lack of propper fuel delivery/consistancy killed me. Oh, and let's not forget my gross inexperience. I lost soo bad that Pirana left the stands.:(

The 2nd race was with a cool Spec V owner who didn't talk s***, and was about having fun. I'm glad. This time I was on the left side, and when I launched, my reaction time was I think worse. When I did launch, I spent the 1st two seconds spinning my tires, while the Spec V was gaining traction before I did. Once I gained traction I spent the rest of the race catching the Spec V. He was ahead by a nose the whole way until the last 100 ft, where I started to feel more power kick in, and I started passing him steadily, but it was too late. Just as I was going to pass, the 1/4 mi was over and he beat me by 4/100th's of a second. Damn I need some fuel management so I can run more boost...oh yeah, and a LSD would help too.:mad: Without my mistakes and inexperience I know I still could have ran at least 1 second faster!!!

dude, i feel ya! this weekend i went to the track and it was over 100 degrees. i just got my cams in and my mp3 ecu, well before i got these mods the best i pulled was 16.1 now with these mods i am only pulling 15.9!! :wtf: i no that the heat makes a big differance but i thought that the cams would help the low end a little more. i did notice a big differance on the top end, my car halls ass on the freeway now:D
***oh, ya my mods are cai,ext,header,cams,mp3 ecu***

you ran a 15.9? wonder what ill run with CAI, RM Header, no cats, and HKS axle back, and SS

hey dont sweat it man i had the same experience, never ran at at rack b4. stock msp on 1/8 mile ran agianst a zx3 focus
i launched rpms way to high i wheel hopped through first spun through second caught grip on third and caught the focus.
me
focus

second run
me
jetta 1.8t

alot better launch on the second run.

anyways, i'd love to hit the track maybe this thursday if im not working. see what i'll do with 13 psi :).

RazorP5 said:
you ran a 15.9? wonder what ill run with CAI, RM Header, no cats, and HKS axle back, and SS

well i would guess 16.2 or so... thats what i got before i got the cams and ecu.
**on my 15.9 run i spun my tires all the way trough frist, so that means if i can get more traction and colder weather i could get 15.6 or so.

supposedly shaneracing still has both, but they are in a set, and i think they are the only ones left...if you decide to get the set and you already have the intake, let me know if you want to sell

Wow Linux...That's really Bad times...But i can feel your pain...I went to the 1/4 mile for the first time about a month ago...I ran a 16.1...

Of course..than i realized that my bottle was empty..I was very pissed...

Definetly practice up on launching your car...I understand that with all that power...it's easy to spin out..but if you have to switch out of 1st early to get more traction out of second...that's what i do w/ the nitrous!!

I am planning to go to the 1/4 mile soon...Hopefully i can pull low 15's..

Chas

Just find a parking lot and practice take offs. Its the only way. Also if you still have the Dunlops on, REMOVE THEM. The Yokahamas I have now are far better at gripping form a stand still although they are crap in comparison on corners

Alright on the launch I learned that it is easier to hold the E brake and rev your car up to 2500 rpm. Feather the clutch till you feel the car move alittle. Do this to pre- stage, (first light) then pull up to till the stage light (both light on). I like to do it before the other car stages. When you are both staged, and the tree starts to go count to three and release the e-brake and hammer the gas. Then its all up to your shifting and where you set your shift points. GOOD LUCK Linux

Back