My 1st Quarter Mile experience...

Hey...you may have crap times....sure, that will depend on drivers experience.
BUT...

take a look at your speed :wtf: 85MPH?

Im sorry but that trap speed is crap, and its not you, its the car.
Your car is not running fast...

For example, N/A my Protege5 was doing 16.7 @85MPH
with Turbo 7psi was 15.1 @ 97MPH

97MPH <--- there you see the increase in power...not the trap time.

1st MP3 in NH said:
So the question is what would make a turbo car run so slow?

Anyone here should know better than I, but knowing the engine is in good working order, I think is a timing issue...fuel or ignition or both not tuned well.

one day im going to be the fastest NA MP5, but ill still be around your turbo times lol

hey, good luck on that fastest N/A p5 razorp5 i think i may be in contention for that title. i have short throw shifter, unorthodox underdrive crank pulley, jap spec intake and exhaust cams, full exhaust including a racingmazda header, warm air intake, 10.7:1 compression pistons, and my clutchmasters clutch and fidanza lightweight flywheel will be here in two days, also i have significant weight reduction, i have no a/c or power steering, i am going to the atco raceway in new jersey in september to get some time slips

jesus...well dammit ive only had my car since jan and i was at war for awhile, but wait until i get promoted to sergeant and then its on lol!

cool man, my next mod after the clutch and flywheel is gonna be some engine management because i have been a bad boy and have not tuned for the high comp pistons yet

MacProtege5 said:
cool man, my next mod after the clutch and flywheel is gonna be some engine management because i have been a bad boy and have not tuned for the high comp pistons yet
how you going to do that?

i was figuring getting the computer from perfworks tuned for n/a, if i can get the extra injector kit from tripoint engineering or whoever has it ( i know someone does) and obviously some larger injectors and fuel pump

igdrasil said:
Anyone here should know better than I, but knowing the engine is in good working order, I think is a timing issue...fuel or ignition or both not tuned well.

Exactly!

RazorP5 said:
wait, before you ran the 15.9 what were your mods?

before-rm header,cai,hks (16.1)
now-j-spec cams,rm header,cai,hks,mp3ecu (15.9)
but..... i will do better on my times, sence i got cams and the ecu my car's power curve has changed and i need to learn how to drive it all over again.;)

Ryan said:
anyways, i'd love to hit the track maybe this thursday if im not working. see what i'll do with 13 psi :).

Is there a track up there close to Knoxville?

My g/f goes to UT, and next time I ride the bike up there, I'd love to check out the drag strip... Thanks...

igdrasil said:
Hey...you may have crap times....sure, that will depend on drivers experience.
BUT...

take a look at your speed :wtf: 85MPH?

Im sorry but that trap speed is crap, and its not you, its the car.
Your car is not running fast...

For example, N/A my Protege5 was doing 16.7 @85MPH
with Turbo 7psi was 15.1 @ 97MPH

97MPH <--- there you see the increase in power...not the trap time.

I had the same reaction when I first saw the time slips. Ok, yeah, the 60' times kinda suck, but the trap speed sucks too. So it's driver AND car. Get it on a dyno, linux.

LinuxRacr said:
1st off I wanna say I have a lot to learn about driving. The faster car doesn't always win. Anyways...

1st_quarter_mile.jpg

Try launching around 5,000 rpms...feather the clutch out, using it, NOT the gas pedal, to control wheel spin. You can find a full second that way, with practice. :)

if you are using those 10.4 to 1 jap pistons with the jap cams, The ob II do learn a little. If you are short on change then get an ob I from a 93 to 96 ford probe fs or mx6 fs.

The other issue if you go engine management you will have to get from the 2.0 fs 626, 1999 to 2000 1.8L protege wires and coil packs. Talking with mark you will need these to run engine management. Especially for the MoTech m4.

Also why add an extra injector when the car dumps alot of gas in open loop. Just need to control your fuel and air mixture.

Back