Mx-5 Question

hmm, I'll have to go read up on that, since
1. I'm not sure where my TB is and worse its inlet
2. I need to understand the airflow path from the intake
3. I usually hear what I think is the wastegate dumping air and then I get the stalled whooshing/flapping sounds...but don't know where the wastegate is etc...

Does that make sense? Oh, and I updated my previous post with some more info...

I really appreciate the dialogue!

1. Know where your Throttle Body is? It's the tube that comes out of it. It's right off the Manifold.

2. I'm not too sure about you losing boost. Unless, you are experiencing a bucking then it makes more sense. If you are experiencing that then you are basically having fuel cut.

The whooshing sound is normal. Usually when you are in boost and you instantly cut off the pedal you'll even hear a turkey. (this happens with me around 5k rpm) I've never just lost boost..

*edit* I just realized how hard it is to explain things via the interweb. I'm not much for these kinda things, heh.

Last edited:
Bucking...yes when I hear that strange noise, during boost, there is a 'physical reaction' like it wasn't getting enough air (or per your suggestion maybe fuel) and is starving...

Since I just picked up the car, I don't know its maintenance records, it only have 14K miles on it, I just put injector cleaner and 91 gas in it and have only used premium, could it be the injectors or the filter choking it?

Ok.

If you are bucking then that is also a kinda normal thing. Everyone will experience that at one point. This is basically your ECU cutting you off, from what I've been told, it's "protecting" your engine.

http://www.tmo.com/faq/diagport/970929.htm

If you REALLY want to understand what is going on..

OK, I can respect that :)

Not quite sure what the link was for...I did some searches but didn't find anything immediately helpful...is the link correct?

If it's fuel cut the link will give you a better understanding of what is going on during this. I didn't really "fix" my fuel-cut. It went away after some mods and when boost was lowered.

I apologize I must be doing something wrong, even when clicking a link...I'm just getting a search-engine for: flights, cell phones, health insur etc..:(

I'll look into it and start reading more on that...do you have any other good links for me to read up on?

P.S. I've been reading a lot of the forums and was pleasantly surprised (neh honored) to get your quick response. Thanks again.(headbang)

Last edited:
Whoa, that's odd..

It was fuel cut for a DSM. Wtfudge..

You aren't doing anything wrong, it's the link. Sorry. The forums has a ton of information on the fuel-cut, like I said, usually everyone goes through it. Mine was really quirky and annoying. I've only had it happen about 3 times (I know I said a lot above) but it seemed to fix itself. I'd have it at a certain level of boost and one time I had it when it was uber cold. Other than that, nothing. I can't really sit here and say mods fixed it, although when I installed the EMS I never experienced it, tehehhe, good ole' managements.

Check into the inlet though. If you do ever plan on turning up boost that'll be one of the first things to replace. Lemme tell you, sitting on the side of the highway thinking you just blew your motor is not a good feeling.

k-lea said:
Which?

The Mazdaspeed version is the ONLY turbo charged Miata (from factory).

There has been word about the newer MX-5's having a Mazdaspeed edition.

Sure, only in the United States. (wink)

k-lea said:
Whoa, that's odd..

Check into the inlet though. If you do ever plan on turning up boost that'll be one of the first things to replace. Lemme tell you, sitting on the side of the highway thinking you just blew your motor is not a good feeling.

OK, so my check engine light finally came on with a strange 2175 or 2178 code (I didn't write it down :( ) However, it's a 2004 and still under warranty so I took it in and got a rental to run around in :)

I explained to him everything above as well as the turbo intake tube might be the culprit...(thanks K-Lea!)

The Mazda 'guy' took literally all day to figure out that it was an 'air intake tube at turbo' that needed to be secured, so I'll bet it really was that....funny, I dropped the car off w/ 1/3 tank of gas and picked it up empty! I wonder how many test drives he had to take before figuring everything out...I heard he called Mazda like 3-4 times!!

It runs so smooth now, I can't believe its the same car...it revs straight and clear, used to bog down at the 4K rpm spot and at 80mph, now it is silky all the way to 95+ (first)

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction...

Back