MX-5 Soft top or retractable hard top?

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a MX-5 and was leaning towards a Grand Touring model with the RHT. A question for those that have a soft top, if you were to replace your MX-5, what model would you go with and would it be another soft top? Why?

Thanks for your time.

Welcome, it sounds like you are looking at the NC (3rd generation) for which the power hard top is referred to as a PRHT (power retractable hard top). There was a RHT (removable hard top) option for the soft top. Some people prefer the PRHT over the soft top as it offers better security and is better insulated against noise than the soft top. Others don't like the shape of the car with the PRHT in the up position as they feel it ruins the lines of the car.

If you are talking about the ND (4th generation) the "hard top" option is the RF (retractable fastback) which is more of a targa top when the roof is lowered. There was no factory option for a RHT for the soft top but there are a handful of aftermarket options.

I have owned an NC and an ND, both soft tops. If I were buying another NC, I would consider the PRHT but for the ND, I would buy the soft top again. I do love the look of the RF with the top up but prefer the 'full' top down experience the soft top provides.

Yes, definitely need to clarify which generation or model year you're looking at.

When I was looking for my Miata, I was looking at 3rd generation cars. I wanted a year round vehicle, so hard top of some sorts was in my future. At the time, I had no where to store a removeable version, so retractile hard top was the one for me. I liked the added security and warmth in the winter, and the fact that I didn't have to have storage space for the summer.

We bought an RF because we like playing around at the track and didn't want to deal with installing a rollbar.
It's almost strange how many compliments the Miata gets at gas station and car meets. Mazda still has the ability to make good looking sports cars, that's for sure.

Interesting question with no easy answer (I think) other than personal preference. When I bought my 2018 RF, there was just no hesitation. The RF looks absolutely stunning with roof open or close. I also like the fact that it opens/closes with a push (and hold) button. All within 13s. Then I learned that you can open and close the soft top in a lot less time with one hand! I have no regrets but I must admit I drool each time I see a soft top MX-5 with open roof! I have no compelling reason to replace my 2018 RF but I'd be tempted when the next generation (rumoured to be a hybrid) comes out in 2025/26 (may be?). I would probably go with a soft top.

Soft top all the way for me!

IF security was an issue or I didn't have a garage, I would consider the RF.

I'm VERY happy with my soft top and if I had to, I would buy another.

I agree the 2018+ RF does look nice with the top up and, down. Reminds me of a 914 I had a few years ago. I was trying to a 2013 to 2017 MX-5 with the retractable hard top but they are hard to find and the ones I found are manual trans and very expensive.

I see there are more soft tops for sale so I started looking at the club as well as the Grand Touring model from 2008 to 2017.

Welcome, it sounds like you are looking at the NC (3rd generation) for which the power hard top is referred to as a PRHT (power retractable hard top). There was a RHT (removable hard top) option for the soft top. Some people prefer the PRHT over the soft top as it offers better security and is better insulated against noise than the soft top. Others don't like the shape of the car with the PRHT in the up position as they feel it ruins the lines of the car.

If you are talking about the ND (4th generation) the "hard top" option is the RF (retractable fastback) which is more of a targa top when the roof is lowered. There was no factory option for a RHT for the soft top but there are a handful of aftermarket options.

I have owned an NC and an ND, both soft tops. If I were buying another NC, I would consider the PRHT but for the ND, I would buy the soft top again. I do love the look of the RF with the top up but prefer the 'full' top down experience the soft top provides.
I'm with you on this, I think the RF looks good but I'm liking the soft top when it's down. I have to test drive one I guess.

Sure.
touched up.jpg
32317695713.jpg

Looks great! Pearl white, and is that tan interior? I don't think I've seen that combination in that model year.

Does it snow where you live and how long is the winter?

If you're in Chicago, then I'm ~60 miles west of you.

Yes, it snows here but my Miata never sees even one flake! (this is what the CX-5 is for) In fact, it's almost time to put my baby to bed for the long winter's night.

Back