Mx-5 Question

Which?

The Mazdaspeed version is the ONLY turbo charged Miata (from factory).

There has been word about the newer MX-5's having a Mazdaspeed edition.

k-lea said:
Which?

The Mazdaspeed version is the ONLY turbo charged Miata (from factory).

damn... beat me to it :p

to add.... the new MX5 runs a N/A 2.0 running 177hp.

Last edited:
Did you race one or what? I'm curious how the question came about..

There are some pretty quick MSM's in Austin, so watch it.

*EDIT* I was one of them at one time.. :(

Last edited:
Nutari said:
2.3? I thought it was a 2.0

BAH - Typo... tired and have been typing 2.3 too many times today it just comes out once I hit the # 2. Thats what happens when you sell mazdas I guess (yawn)

has been corrected :p

k-lea said:
Did you race one or what? I'm curious how the question came about..

There are some pretty quick MSM's in Austin, so watch it.

*EDIT* I was one of them at one time.. :(

no I didint race one, Just was looking at them on auto trader one says its a Mazda MX-5 Mazda speed. hmmm... Interesting

Andrewsmc said:
no I didint race one, Just was looking at them on auto trader one says its a Mazda MX-5 Mazda speed. hmmm... Interesting

yes the Mazdaspeed models (04' & 05') were 1.8l turbocarged 4-cylinders.

sick suspension and awesome ride.

I drove one that we had as a trade-in, and if I had the money for a secondary "fun weekend car" that would been on the list (w/ the S2k)...

I feel like drivin one right now to be honest :p

Depends on which parts you are looking for. I seem to have a hard time finding used stock parts. Not many have gone down the shitter. IF they have they were wrecked pretty hardcore.

As far as aftermarket, there are few places that actually know about the MSM. Flying Miata and BEGI are your best bets. They have actually spent time with the MSM's and made parts for them.

Yeah, the Mazdaspeed MX-5 is sooo tempting. Here's the upgrade path as recommended by Flyin Miata. (http://flyinmiata.com/tech/MSM_upgrades.php)

Recommended Mazdaspeed upgrade path

We sell a lot of parts for the Mazdaspeed. It's enough to really confuse you, isn't it? Well, here's our recommendation on a good upgrade path to take.

1. Intake. Ideally the complete intake kit, but the intake only is a good start. This will give you a good boost in power for a low price.

2. Downpipe. It's probably the most popular upgrade for Mazdaspeeds and for good reason. It will smooth out the boost rise and make the car more driveable under all conditions. Why wasn't it number one? Well, it was a close call. It's a little more difficult to install than the intake, so it got number two.

3. Exhaust. Get rid of the last restriction in the system for more power and a nice purr from the tailpipe.

4. Intercooler. It's not going to necessarily make any more power, but it will prevent your car from getting slower as it heats up. Even stock Mazdaspeeds suffer from heat soak and the higher power from other upgrades only makes this worse.

Okay, there's the easy stuff done. The car is now at around 200 hp at the rear wheels, makes a great noise and doesn't get slower as you drive it. The stock injectors are at their limit, so now it gets a little more expensive.

5. Hydra Nemesis. Not a cheap upgrade, but one that makes a big difference to the driveability of the car. You won't believe how many little bumps and odd behaviours exist in the stock ECU programming until you feel the smoothness of one with a Hydra. Spoolup will improve as the Hydra will run more timing in the lower ranges. But to make any more power, you need...

5a. 550 cc injectors. With great power comes the need for great amounts of fuel. These will solve that problem. Not compatible with a stock ECU.

By this point, the car is able to run 240+ rwhp safely on the stock clutch. We offer all of these parts together as part of our Big Enchilada package.

Hi,
I'm new to the Mazda scene and to these boards...thusly my first post :)

I just purchased an '04 Mazdaspeed and I'm having some very interesting performance 'issues'...I could be wrong, I could not know how to drive it, it is my first turbo'd car etc... please be patient and bear with me...

Note: If this should be bumped to a better or new thread, please direct as necessary. TIA

Problem:
Infrequently when I am in 3rd or 4th and I decide to 'put my foot in it', the turbo spools up nicely, I start to scoot and then at about 4000 RPM I hear a big 'whooshing' sound like a sail on a boat that has gone loose in the wind...the turbo seems like it is trying to 're-engage' and sometimes catches the engine to give it some umph but I can be flooring it and barely getting above 4200 RPM...

Sometimes, IF I cycle through 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc really fast and don't let up on the gas or lose RPMs I can make it up and over 5000 RPMs and move into the power band thru 4th & 5th...however, as soon as I let up on the gas ONCE and then try to go again, I get the whooshing/flapping sound and I literally can have it floored and I am decelerating to ~60mph...

I had read somewhere that during some test runs of the first mazdaspeeds that a particular hose was known for coming loose or losing pressure at around 4000 RPM and needed to be 'locked on'...it really feels like at 4000rpm there is a baffle or damper that opens and I loose all of my boost...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

The "hose" I think you are referring to is your tb inlet. Not really a hose. It has been known to pop off. I've had mine come off a lot but then again, I never played with stock boost too much. Mine didn't blow off until I hit 17psi.

That's the only thing I know of that comes off.

As far as the whooshing noise, I would say it's just your turbo doing it's normal sounds. UNLESS you have an intake and you hear what I hear. Not so much of a "whoosh" more like a moan.

If it is the winding up, I'm cool with the sounds it makes, but its during the spin-up & @ 4000rpm that I lose all boost and hear this awful wind/flapping sound and I actually slow down with the pedal floored...

So, it sounds like something I could fix...any tips for newb?

Pics with arrows REALLy help

Last edited:
Back