Musings (Gripes) About the CX-7

The one seatback pocket - in the back of the driver's seat. Duh - wrong seat if the driver wants to put his hands on something.

Forgot something - daytime running lights would be nice also.

Hope G-Papi is right about the mirrors - to be honest, I haven't RTM on that. Although it's a silly thing to worry about in August in Virginia.... (crazy)

I've solved the daytime lights by covering the light sensor on the passenger side of the dash, then setting the lights on the auto setting. No light into the sensor makes the lights activate with the ignition, and go off immediately when the car is switched off. You can change the gauge lighting to look as if there were no lights on. I haven't found it to be a problem - yet.

Mazda3 said:
I glad the doors don't lock when I put it into drive, very annoying feature on all GM vehicles.

Heated mirrors are standard in Canada, not sure about US.

I totally agree with the memory seat, that drives me nuts.

I live in canada but i don't have heated mirrors on my CX7???

the black one said:
Heated (and body color) mirrors are standard on the GT. All other versions get non-heated, black plastic mirrors.

the black one said:

The heated mirrors are standard on ALL models in Canada.
It doesn't say anything on the mirror, but they are heated. They are activated by the rear defrost button.

Drifting

"what about the e-brake! it would be nice to have a hand-brake instead of a old style foot-brake! its hard to get this thing sideways in a corner with that damn thing"
Your CX7 has a DSC(dynamic stability control) to prevent that sort of thing. It tries to maintain equal tire rotational speeds. Marty D

My wife wanted me to note that she echoes the "no lights on the vanity mirrors" as a gripe. She is also surprised that there is no light in the glove box - oh well.

She is also a bit put off that she cannot see the intrument cluster from the drivers seat!

I like the fact that you can turn the "beep" off on the Bose - every time she turns the volume down, I can notch it back up without her knowing too!

So far I only wish for memory seating positions, auto lock and unlock for all the doors when the driver locks/opens their door and auto on headlights when the wipers go on. I think that feature (which was on my last car) is far more important than DRLs. I can't believe how many people don't turn on their lights in the rain!
Other gripes are small and inconsequential, like more courtesy lights and exterior side turn signal repeaters ala Europe.

Platonium said:
So far I only wish for memory seating positions, auto lock and unlock for all the doors when the driver locks/opens their door and auto on headlights when the wipers go on. I think that feature (which was on my last car) is far more important than DRLs. I can't believe how many people don't turn on their lights in the rain!
Other gripes are small and inconsequential, like more courtesy lights and exterior side turn signal repeaters ala Europe.

I solved the lights/wipers and no driving lights for U.S. cars by covering the light sensor with a 35mm camera film case cover, and switching the lights to auto. Everything comes on whenever I drive the car, and it goes off with the ignition.

The manual has a picture of where it is located. There are 2 circles on the dash, one is the sun sensor for the auto climate control and one is light sensor for the auto headlights.

The CD player in the NAV DOES display song title information. At least on some CDs. The latest Linkin Park CD works just fine.

My previous vehicle was a Camaro Z28. My CX-7 makes me feel I'm driving a Lexus! Pound for pound, my CX-7 trumps my old Chevy. The only thing the Z28 had that is almost unbeatable is raw accelaration...12.99@108 out of the box is very impressive.

Gripes for the beloved CX7

Many have listed similar, I will list them in order of perference

IPOD interface (for tech package) - A MUST HAVE
HID daytime running lights (just like Acura has)
Auto Door Locks (locks at 20 mph)
Oh and speaking of door locks, why is it that you cannot lock your car manually if you dont have the smart key in your pocket? WTF - try to lock your car without your smart key....stupid
How bout the door locks that dont unlock automatically - like when you go to exit your car and you pull the handle and nothing happens till you physically press the unlock button. Gee that will help in the event of an emergency if someone has to get out of the car quickly - WTF

Cruise control - has anyone noticed that it stays on even if you shut the car off and cycle the ignition ? WTF never had a car do that

Aux Pwr outlet - in the cargo area....OH and while we are on the subject, what a stupid spot to put the outlet near the shift lever....works real well with my FM transmitter for my IPOD (not) the thing should be on the side of the passenger side WTF . stupid

Aside from that I love the way the car handles and looks, but these other things are just plain stupid....

You can't lock the car without the standard key either. It's a feature to prevent you from locking your key in the car. VW's have it too.

Many have listed similar, I will list them in order of perference

IPOD interface (for tech package) - A MUST HAVE
HID daytime running lights (just like Acura has)
Auto Door Locks (locks at 20 mph)
Oh and speaking of door locks, why is it that you cannot lock your car manually if you dont have the smart key in your pocket? WTF - try to lock your car without your smart key....stupid
How bout the door locks that dont unlock automatically - like when you go to exit your car and you pull the handle and nothing happens till you physically press the unlock button. Gee that will help in the event of an emergency if someone has to get out of the car quickly - WTF

Cruise control - has anyone noticed that it stays on even if you shut the car off and cycle the ignition ? WTF never had a car do that

Aux Pwr outlet - in the cargo area....OH and while we are on the subject, what a stupid spot to put the outlet near the shift lever....works real well with my FM transmitter for my IPOD (not) the thing should be on the side of the passenger side WTF . stupid

Aside from that I love the way the car handles and looks, but these other things are just plain stupid....

Wow, a 4 'WTF' posting :wtf:

• I'm with you on the whole IPod fiasco
  • Cruise control - isn't it a good thing to remember the setting when off. I mean you're driving from Seattle to L.A. and you stop for gas a few times. You're going right back to the setting when you get back on the I-5, seems like a useful feature.
  • Auto Door locks - I can lock my car without the standard key. You press lock on the door panel and close the door. I suppose it doesn't if they are in the ignition...
  • Auto Door locks 2 - not a fan of autolocking doors (don't have kids) but also not a fan of being unable to open a locked door with the handle either.
  • Auto Door locks 3 - sit in the car with doors open, remove the key (standard key), press lock on the door panel and shut the doors, then unlock the door without the key and listen to the fun begin. I realize it's a security feature, but it's annoying
  • Auto headlights are set too high and never come on during a daytime rain shower, then blip when I go under an overpass
  • HID headlights are maybe too focused. They don't illuminate roadsigns as there is no scatter up and to the sides. Also I get flashed periodically when the road bumps. ( I even have the leveling set to "2" much lower than the manual suggests at "0", and they are properly aimed )
  • Buffeting when driving with the front windows down, need at least one of the rears open a few inches - then forgetting to raise it up again
  • Oh, and no storage at all in the rear seats, no litter compartment, door pocket, nada. Just sit and be still until we get there

Still the goods far outweigh the gripes... looks, handling, turbo (when accustomed to each other), huge ground clearance

Last edited:
Now that you mention it the car I test drove may have had the key still in the ignition.

Agree with you on the locks on the doors... when I pull the handle from the inside the door should open, at least on the front doors.

Agree 100% on the auto headlights. They should come on with the windshield wipers. And there should be a longer delay so they don't come on under bridges. I've had people move over that were in front of me thinking i flashed them.

Latest posts

Back