Musings (Gripes) About the CX-7

Now that you mention it the car I test drove may have had the key still in the ignition.

Ok, update on the Door Lock Situation,

I have the Standard key (not Smart key)

With the key in the ignition, you cannot lock the doors using the all-lock button on the door panel, but you can individually lock each door

If you are inside the car with the doors shut and press all-lock on the door, the doors lock but the alarm is not armed. You can open the doors any way you want and the alarm will not go off

If you are inside the car with the doors open and press all-lock, then shut the doors, the alarm is armed. Opening the doors without the key will set off the alarm

If the doors are shut and you press lock on the remote, the alarm is set, and will go off if you open the doors without the key

Last edited:
Agree with you on the locks on the doors... when I pull the handle from the inside the door should open, at least on the front doors.

This weekend I decided to do something about this, so removed the front door levers and rigged them to open properly when locked.

I used a few screws and a short piece of rubber. Highly inelegant, but does the trick and is invisible once installed. Now when I pull on the door lever, the rubber contacts the door lock and they move as a pair. Other than that, nothing else changes

Door lever.jpg

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123681889

Last edited:
Now that you mention it the car I test drove may have had the key still in the ignition.

Agree with you on the locks on the doors... when I pull the handle from the inside the door should open, at least on the front doors.

Agree 100% on the auto headlights. They should come on with the windshield wipers. And there should be a longer delay so they don't come on under bridges. I've had people move over that were in front of me thinking i flashed them.

I think they have a TSB out for that. It makes the delay a few seconds longer.

There's a procedure for adjusting the sensitivity of the auto headlights that has been explained here: see post #25 - doesn't adjust the delay
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123647605&highlight=delay&page=2

I've already made that adjustment. It helps, but I'm still flashing my lights at people when I go under bridges in the mornings or evenings.

I've seen other cars that I KNOW have auto headlights (like every GM car made in the last 5 years) not flashing their lights under bridges. So I know the technology exists, but it's a matter of whether or not Mazda implemented it.

Maybe there aren't many bridges in Japan???

new '7' owner

We bought a new 7 a few weeks ago and we are on our first road trip with this car. The most annoying thing about this car is the glare from sun shining onto the brushed stainless or alum bezel that surrounds the center section of console or dash.

I really wish an aux. Ipod jack was included...had this in my Civic Si and it was better than a CD changer, 400 songs at my disposal.

Sport model needs outdoor temp. somewhere on guage cluster.

CX-7 should have a better quality material for the headliner...what's up with the mouse fur??? That one detail about the CX-7 seems to make it feel a little on the cheap side...since all other interior materials are fairly nice. My 2006 Civic and the wife's CR-V have a very nice vinyl material for the headliner and it just makes the car feel more modern and upscale.

These are all minor gripes and I had to think hard to come up with these. Overall I could not be happier with my CX-7 and I got it for about $4,500 under MSRP! Gas mileage seems to be getting better now too with over 3K miles on her.

Ipod Interface

In order of priority

IPOD interface for tech package - this pisses me off beyond belief
Bluetooth interface - WTF every other manufactuer has it (toyota/nissian/infiniti/Acura)
Auto door locks
Better Heated seats with upper & lower heat
DRL - like the Acura front lights only

In order of priority

IPOD interface for tech package - this pisses me off beyond belief
Bluetooth interface - WTF every other manufactuer has it (toyota/nissian/infiniti/Acura)
Auto door locks
Better Heated seats with upper & lower heat
DRL - like the Acura front lights only

Do you mean that you can control the upper and lower portions of the seat seperately or do you want a hi and low setting?

I was a bit concerned that there wasn't a high and low setting since that's what I had before. But these seats always seem to be the right temperature.

Back