Spark plug dilemma (2014 CX-5)

MichalP

22 CX-9 GT
:
Canada
I know this subject was discussed many times but I feel like there is a new development and I need an advise.

So my wife's CX5 from 2014 2.5L engine is due for the spark plugs change. I went to the local dealer here in Canada. I asked for quotes knowing it is going to be pricey. Well they asking $51 per plug($204 total). Another $175 for labour. That motivated me into doing the job myself. I don't know why they are charging over an hour for the process. Old times but on my old mazda 3 I paid like $160 for the whole thing at the dealer. $80 for plugs and 30 min of labour.

Anyway I went through all the forums to get a better understanding of the subject. I have got all the tools and I am aware of the topic for NGK OEM replacement ILKAR7L11. They suppose to be the exact same version as what the dealer sells. I found in the local Canadian Tire store the correct version for $22 a piece. Looks like a steal so I went to check and to my surprise they are manufactured in Thailand. Actually the clerk in the store told me that his system shows they are made in Canada. Well this model was engraved with Thailand.

It's $30 difference per plug but the country of origin is concerning. I am planning to go back to the dealer to check where their spark plugs are coming from. I am curious if they are still made in Japan. I know that in the end country of origin might not make a difference but if dealer's version is still made in Japan and being the proper Mazda version I am willing to pay extra for the plugs. I am still going to replace them by myself anyway to save on that crazy labour rate.

What's your opinion and if anybody had a chance to use the Thailand version or even did see them somewhere. This is the link to the website. Pictures still show Japan on them but obviously it's an old one.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-0183619p.0180317.html?loc=plp&rq=spark+plugs

The NGK OE Laser Iridium are the correct plugs. Just buy them from your local parts dealer, and you'll be fine. I'd kinda stay away from ordering online though, and I'd *never* buy them from eBay or Amazon. Way too easy to get forgeries.

The link I provided it is for the local store. That's why I was able to check and found out that they are being manufactured in Thailand.

This is my dilemma. Should I buy the Thailand version or pay significantly more for the Mazda dealer version.

Just ordered new spark plugs for my 2014 Touring. At $13.28 each is a much better price than the ~$26-$27 from online Mazda dealer price. Shouldn't have to be concerned about counterfeits.

ETA Advance and Autozone were $19.99 and O'Reilly was $21.99 for local purchase.

Last edited:
Just ordered new spark plugs for my 2014 Touring. At $13.28 each is a much better price than the ~$26-$27 from online Mazda dealer price. Shouldn't have to be concerned about counterfeits.

ETA Advance and Autozone were $19.99 and O'Reilly was $21.99 for local purchase.
But where did you get the NGK’s for $13.28 each?

I know this subject was discussed many times but I feel like there is a new development and I need an advise.

So my wife's CX5 from 2014 2.5L engine is due for the spark plugs change. I went to the local dealer here in Canada. I asked for quotes knowing it is going to be pricey. Well they asking $51 per plug($204 total). Another $175 for labour. That motivated me into doing the job myself. I don't know why they are charging over an hour for the process. Old times but on my old mazda 3 I paid like $160 for the whole thing at the dealer. $80 for plugs and 30 min of labour.

Anyway I went through all the forums to get a better understanding of the subject. I have got all the tools and I am aware of the topic for NGK OEM replacement ILKAR7L11. They suppose to be the exact same version as what the dealer sells. I found in the local Canadian Tire store the correct version for $22 a piece. Looks like a steal so I went to check and to my surprise they are manufactured in Thailand. Actually the clerk in the store told me that his system shows they are made in Canada. Well this model was engraved with Thailand.

It's $30 difference per plug but the country of origin is concerning. I am planning to go back to the dealer to check where their spark plugs are coming from. I am curious if they are still made in Japan. I know that in the end country of origin might not make a difference but if dealer's version is still made in Japan and being the proper Mazda version I am willing to pay extra for the plugs. I am still going to replace them by myself anyway to save on that crazy labour rate.

What's your opinion and if anybody had a chance to use the Thailand version or even did see them somewhere. This is the link to the website. Pictures still show Japan on them but obviously it's an old one.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-0183619p.0180317.html?loc=plp&rq=spark+plugs

Spark Plugs: OEM vs Aftermarket

I believe currently the Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110 / NGK ILKAR7L11 spark plug with Mazda imprint is still made in Japan; but the aftermarket NGK ILKAR7L11 / 94124.spark plug now is made in Thailand.

The NGK that I had put in last summer were made in Thailand, and the new spark plugs from Mazda today are made in Japan. On my drive to work tonight I noticed my CX-5 is smoother 👌😁

Last edited:
Just click on the NGK product that I linked. That's where I ordered them from. Doesn't it work for you?
My mistake. I saw the NGK.com and didn’t move down the page and see the price. And I didn’t know you can order the NGK plugs directly from the manufacture / distributer. It’s strange that the price listed at manufacture’s website is MUCH lower than authorized NGK dealers such as the Advance Auto Parts? How long does it take to receive the plugs? Let us know if the aftermarket NGK plugs for CX-5 are now made in Thailand instead of Japan. My guess is Thailand.

Last edited:
Back