Msp factory set up is boosting at 10 psi.

rickyfinch07

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello gents,
Quick conundrum here. I have a stock 2003.5 MSP with injen cai, samco hotpipe, hard cold pipe, with dual bov, stock plus greddy. I installed a boost gauge today. Autometer, I'm pushing 9.5 psi with a spike no higher than 10.
Keep in mind this is with the stock turbo. No mdc or ebc. Is this a common occurrence with the MSP?
Thanks in advance,
Ricky

Also no overboost cel

Any intake or exhaust upgrades that reduce the air restriction will make slightly more boost.

Isn't ten pounds of boost is a little high for a untuned Msp? I plan on straight piping everything behind the o2 sensor. What do I do if it goes even higher? A new waste gate?

If it's just a spike it's not really a big deal. If it stays at 10 that's too high. What wastegate are you running? The ATP replacement runs about 9psi so spiking 10 would be somewhat normal. Upgrading the exhaust will raise the boost even higher

As far as I can tell it's a stock waste gate. It's actually holding at 9.5 psi. But yeah I thought it was high. I blew air into the vacuum line going to the waste gate and no air went through. I'm guessing the diaphragm is still intact.
Which begs the question why is my boost so high. Also their is no mbc in line. I have changed all the lines. Just to.ensure I was getting the correct reading on my boost gauge.

It's not spiking higher than 10 psi. But it is holding at 9.5 psi. Especially in the higher gear range.

But I wonder how long the car has been like this. And it also explains why I hit boost cut so often.

you really cant "lower" boost pressure unless you go back to bone stock or spend the extra time and money to get an EWG turbo manifold, take your IWG off, weld the flapper shut and run the lowest pressure spring which on TIAL is 4.35PSI or .3BAR. then if you ever decide to build, TIAL gives you all the springs from .3BAR to 1.7BAR or approx. 25PSI. many people say an EWG is overkill but IMO it would be a great investment to keep boost low until it's time to kick it up a notch and just pop in a stiffer spring. that's what i'm going to do.

Back