MS3 Custom CAI

Update from my last post. Took it into Mazda, they said nothing's wrong with it. Updated my ECU apparently and gave it back to me. It still doesn't throw you back in your seat anywhere near as fast as it used to though. Thanks for nothing Mazda.

What do I need to do a SRI? From quickly reading through this thread it looks like a MAF adapter, filter and 4" pipe?

Update from my last post. Took it into Mazda, they said nothing's wrong with it. Updated my ECU apparently and gave it back to me. It still doesn't throw you back in your seat anywhere near as fast as it used to though. Thanks for nothing Mazda.

drive it around with the stock aribox for a few days. the computer should adapt back to normal..if not jsut keep taking it back to mazda and drive a tech with u in the car

drive it around with the stock aribox for a few days. the computer should adapt back to normal..if not jsut keep taking it back to mazda and drive a tech with u in the car

I took off the SRI before taking it back to Mazda. I did not bother to put it back on after I got it back though. Currently I've got the cut airbox and the K&N drop in filter replacement installed.

Hesitation is minimal if it's there at all any more. At this point it's so little hesitation it could all be in my head. My only "measuring stick" for my complaint to Mazda is that it just doesn't leap forward like it used to. I just don't get thrown back in my seat and anywhere under 3k RPMs is still quite lethargic.

If I do take it back to Mazda I may take a test for a test drive and then take them for a test drive in a brand new one to see if there's a difference...if they'll let me do that.

^^^
That sounds like a symptom of the A/C being engaged.
Just for reference, at least for a standard 3, the butt-dyno power band is roughly between 2800 & 6000 rpm...

my .02

the turbo doesnt even kick in till 3k totally...ur prolyl jsut used to the car or some s***..... bad gas? u got fat? lol i duno

the turbo doesnt even kick in till 3k totally...ur prolyl jsut used to the car or some s***..... bad gas? u got fat? lol i duno

lol, it's very possible that the whole getting used to the car culprit might be at play. I remember when I first got the car that it always felt like the steering wheel wanted to leap right out of my hands, but no more. I suppose it's likely I'm just accustomed to all those horses now. :)

I feel the same way, after a couple of months of driving, it just don't feel as powerful. Now I drive it almost normal most of the time, so when I floor it it feels pretty good. It's all in our heads! (silly)

Last edited:
I just did a custom SRI. I love it. I think the car spools quicker than before. The sound of the car spooling is nice to have again. THis was a great mod for 50 bucks. Thank you Redspeed for attempring this on your on and sharing it with us. You saved me some money:)

I just did a custom SRI. I love it. I think the car spools quicker than before. The sound of the car spooling is nice to have again. THis was a great mod for 50 bucks. Thank you Redspeed for attempring this on your on and sharing it with us. You saved me some money:)

What parts are you using? Got pics? Got cel's? Do you have any data log for the fuel trim adjustment?

I tried the a custom SRI w/ SCEPTER 3" MAF adaptor pipe w/ an Injen 3" cone air filter and my MS3 fuel trims got out of wack. The diameter on the 3" MAF adaptor is about 2-7/8", which is larger than the stock piece (closer to 2-3/4") my fuel trims at idle reached %22 so I eventually got a CEL. Checked everything did not appear to be leaks -my idle was good. Transition from closed loop to open-loop was not smooth -but past 3K the car pulled like a monster! My boost was spiking all the way to 20PSI.

Heard the turbo and by-pass valve for the first time, I have to admitt I like hearing the turbo -but I put back the stock air-box until I can make some adjustments to the my MAF pipe. I think that If I do measurements I may be able to install a plastic liner inside the SCEPTER 3" MAF pipe so I can get it to flow exactly like stock.

I also noticed that the stock air-flow straightener is removable so I may be able to design a holder to allow it to be placed inside the SRI MAF adaptor.

Did you disconnected your battery to reset it? I have been using my custom cai for months now, no CEL!

Yes, batt was disconnected for a few hours -Had to go back to Autoparts store -forgot to get some other odds-n-ends.

Keep in mind that I was running SRI not CAI. I've read of more that a couple folks running my same setup -Some say it's perfect...others had the same issues as me.

I guess some of the Autozone MAF pipes must be special ?

No problem bro. I actually did the SRI and love it. I did however have a CEL come on last night when I was driving home. Once I disconnected the battery the light went away and it seems fine. did you ever have a CEL come on? What would have casued it to come on?

I haven't had any CELs so far. You can get a obdII scanner pretty cheap and pull the code. What caused it? I don't know, a/f ratio, maf sensor getting to much air or something.

I disconnected the battery and the CEL went away for almost 300 miles and then came back. Any ideas guy's? Should I go back to stock:(

Back