MS3 Custom CAI

Thanks redspeed. Here's my short-ram set up:

both3.jpg

both4.jpg

^^It's working out great. I'll be replacing the rubber hose with alum piping some time this week. Thanks man.

^^It actually feels a lot better than stock (seems to pull harder). I love the sound. After i replace the rubber hose with the alum piping, it'll hang down much further, not as far as standard CAI's (deathly afraid of hydrolocking) but farther from the heat.

Edited the original post. Made some changes to the cai to move the filter up for some protection against hydrolock. Still trying to get some dyno numbers. Apparently the shop closed or moved.

Inspired by Red, I decided to make my own custom SRI for fun (I can't stop playing with this car, it's great). I realize there may be next to no gains with it, but it was fun to install and only cost me $40. Pictures to come soon.

P.S. I am having a problem with hesitation though until the turbo kicks in. Perhaps I need to disconnect the negative battery terminal again, but for longer this time?

Last edited:
P.S. I am having a problem with hesitation though until the turbo kicks in. Perhaps I need to disconnect the negative battery terminal again, but for longer this time?
I've had the same problem, drive it around for awhile and recheck everything. It took a couple days until it started driving better.

Yeah, probably the short ram intake wont give you a big gain because of the hot air under the hood. Try disconnect the battery for like 5 min. I guess it should be enough to reset to ecu.

hydrolock is nto a problem with the ms3, i have the m s cai and it has the splash guard on top. ive driven in some serious rain where i couldnt even see where i was driving and i didnt get a cell or lock the car up...

Hydrolock happens when you submerge the filter, like driving over a puddle deep enough to suck water into the engine. Rain alone is not gona cause hydrolock. (thumb)

Hydrolock happens when you submerge the filter, like driving over a puddle deep enough to suck water into the engine. Rain alone is not gona cause hydrolock. (thumb)

i know, but i had a large fear because florida it rains aloot and i jsut saying that it hasnt happend and ive driven in some bad weather. I wouldnt drive in a large puddle in a car anyways.

Well, it seems the hesitation is not getting any better. I even put back on my stock airbox, which didn't help at all. I'm beginning to think that I did something bad to my MAF sensor. I headed to AutoZone and got some cleaner for it, sprayed it down some, let it dry and tried again. Might have been a little better, but it could also be in my head. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

I've got hesitation in every gear, until the turbo spools up and it takes off. When flooring the gas pedal, it feels like I'm in a much higher gear then I should be for the speed/RPMs (example, feels like I shifted from 2nd to 5th instead of 3rd). The hesitation only occurs until 3K RPMs, then the turbo spools and i takes off. But after reaching around 4k/4.5k RPMs, it sort of tapers off and I can't reach the top end of a gear for a while.

Check the fittings and make sure you arent leaking air anywhere.

Double checked all the fittings/seals on the stock airbox and also the rubber hose connected to it. Gave the MAF sensor another good cleaning and let it sit overnight in the back of the car. Nothing I did seems to have helped, so I have an appointment with Mazda next tuesday to have it looked at. I feel so stupid for possibly screwing up my car. Thanks for the tips though guys, I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's still around $90. I didn't bought additional parts, just switched around the 6in. pipe the run down from the maf, and put it on the filter. The 4in. pipe that was on the filter, was put in place of the 6in. pipe. The result was that the filter moved up about 4 in.

Back