More CF/MazdaSpeed goodness installed...Shiftknob......

VRMS6

:
2011 Kona Blue Ford Edge Sport
Was looking thru my copy of the Mazda Bible, (AKA as the MazdaSpeed parts catalog), and found an intresting gem. A aliuminum/CF shift knob. Unfortunately it was listed as a RX-8 part. PN: QNCA-46-030
After checking a used RX-8 we had on the lot I found that the shift knob thread pitch was the same between the RX-8 and the MZ3. I ordered one and it arrived today. Picked it up and first I must say its a nicely weighted piece. About 2x the weight of the stock MZ3 shift knob....The quality was superb with the aluminum machined nicely and the CF top notch...The MazdaSpeed logo was etched on the top of the knob. It came with 3 diff stick on shift patterns 2 6speed and one 5speed....They are a round CF cutout with the shift pattern edged on the top and sticky tape on the bottom....
Install was a snap just unscrew old knob and screw in the new one....Stick the shift pattern on the center console and your done....
Feels nice in the hand and looks awsome....Anyway on to the pics cause we all know :ttiwwp:

Box w/part# and top of installed knob....Ended up putting shift pattern CF piece to the top left corner you see here...
shiftknob50sc.jpg

Closeup of the top of the knob....
shiftknob67aq.jpg

side view of installed knob.....
shiftknob77fa.jpg

2nd view.....
shiftknob81ng.jpg

That looks really nice. It is really similar to the stock MSP shift knob, just with CF. Nice find. How much was it? (it would be my 4th shift knob though, so I'll stick to my greddy for now haha).

I'm planning on just yanking a new 07 Mz3's shift knob... and replacing... they arn't CF, but they are a good replacement :)

I like it though :)

Zano is the 07 knob the same as the 05-06?? Leather with the metal insert for the shift pattern?? If so I have mine.... Lets make a deal....

Chris the knob was a bit pricey but if you've seen my other threads Im fast becoming a CF *****.....

Earful said:
I wonder if these will fit on a MSP?

yes. I had the black/red leather Mazda3 knob at some point and it's the same threading as the Protege (except for the black sheep Protege MP3 with it's weird shifter)

Here are the pics of the shift pattern CF stickon and its relation to the shifter.....

closeup.....
dsc005664lp.jpg

knob/shifter pattern stickon.....
dsc005685dn.jpg

2nd closeup...gotta learn how to do better focus w/camera....
dsc005692pf.jpg

Thats nice! I like the fact that it is weighted and heavier than the MZ3 knob. I might just have to pick one up myself.

Its pricey at $120 my cost retail is in the $150 range... But it looks badass on the car...

TGM3 said:
Its pricey at $120 my cost retail is in the $150 range... But it looks badass on the car...

Or just go with the non-CF 7 shift knob and yes it will fit :)

havent graduated to Freak yet. Im just a CF lover....Now when I get the CF hatch door THEN you can call me a CF freak.... ;)

Zano said:
Is that your plan? That would be a pretty word mod ;)

Only if I can see the CF hatch door allready installed on another MZ3. So I can check fit/finish of the hatch door...My biggest fear is it will not fit properly and look like crap... The pics on the MFG webside is a far away shot with poor lighting and low resolution. Not very conducive to me spending big $$ on a item.....

TGM3 said:
Only if I can see the CF hatch door allready installed on another MZ3. So I can check fit/finish of the hatch door...My biggest fear is it will not fit properly and look like crap... The pics on the MFG webside is a far away shot with poor lighting and low resolution. Not very conducive to me spending big $$ on a item.....

I think that's the biggest reason why I havn't purchased a CF hood yet.

Back