Mazdaspeed6 VIN Breakdown

Rossim22

Hey I'm new to the forum and interested in buying a used mazdaspeed6. However, the issues with them have begun scaring me away. Smoking turbos, blue smoke after idle, rear differential, rear axle, random power loss... etc. I've been researching and found that most of these issues have been taken care of, either under warranty or from Mazda.

With that said... I've found that it's better to get a late '06 or an '07 speed6. I found a page that had the VINs of which mazdas had the issues and which ones were built with the fixes but can't find it anymore. Any help? Or if you have any info on the issues themselves, please do tell.

Thanks
Rossim

Last edited:
yes many late 06 models and most all of 07 had the turbos factory replaced cause of the smoking problem off the factory floor.
But if you do encounter a smoking turbo, most likely it hadnt yet been replaced and can be warranty covered.

random power loss, i believe is a very random/rare occurance usually not a pattern of any specific problem.
And i think the rear diff is the only REAL factory weakness in the car... its the bolts.
From factory the bolts are kind of small, and have been known to snap/sheer off under extended times of heavy driving.

Some people get heavier duty bolts and have to drill out the mounting wholes to fit em.
others simply get factory replacement bolts under warranty. depends on how you think you will drive the car.

I find that most speed6 owners that do conservative mods and take good care of their cars rarely if ever have mechanical failures. Heavy modding on the MS6 seems to often lead to problems...

yes many late 06 models and most all of 07 had the turbos factory replaced cause of the smoking problem off the factory floor.
But if you do encounter a smoking turbo, most likely it hadnt yet been replaced and can be warranty covered.

random power loss, i believe is a very random/rare occurance usually not a pattern of any specific problem.
And i think the rear diff is the only REAL factory weakness in the car... its the bolts.
From factory the bolts are kind of small, and have been known to snap/sheer off under extended times of heavy driving.

Some people get heavier duty bolts and have to drill out the mounting wholes to fit em.
others simply get factory replacement bolts under warranty. depends on how you think you will drive the car.

I find that most speed6 owners that do conservative mods and take good care of their cars rarely if ever have mechanical failures. Heavy modding on the MS6 seems to often lead to problems...

Well I do plan on spontaneous autocrossing events. And big turbo plans would be far in the future, if at all. I would be putting on basic bolt-ons just to have fun with the car. I love the fact that they're awd, and the motors are nice in the speed3, but the issues were scaring me a little. Would the smoking turbo issue come back after the turbo is replaced? I thought it was an oil flow problem.

Last edited:
All MS6s are in the affected VIN range for turbo smoke. Our car was the first to get the DISI MZR, and they made changes to the 07 model, but most significantly, the changes appeared in the MS3 motors for 2008.5 and beyond.

The loss of power is an intermittent issue, and can be fixed with a reflash.

Back