Mazdaspeed3 Dyno Comparisons

Why is it that so many graphs do not have HP & torque intersecting at 5252rpm like they're supposed to? Are people using the wrong gear ratios in the dyno computer?

I always wondered about that... I wonder if the differences in gears is what gives all these differences HP/TQ numbers.

There should be a standard in what gear to do the pull in...it has to be the gear thats closest to the 1:1 ratio...anyone know what gear that is in the MS3? I know in my 99 Miata, it was 4th.

Any dyno computer should have the field where you just enter in that gear's ratio. What might be skewing things is how the MS3 has two different FD ratios (one for 1-4, another for 5 & 6). 5th gear is closest to 1:1.

The ratios are:

FD 1-4 = 3.941
FD 5 & 6 = 3.350

660 miles, AEM CAI, DSC on.

I thought the torque was a little on the low side, but that could have been because i left the dsc on.

ms3dyno.jpg

Torque and HP will always be the same number at 5252 RPM. If they seem to not cross on the graph it is because the torque and HP scale factors are not the same. Check both sides of the graph to see if the scales are the same.

Will post my graphs, but we did a few 4th gear dynojet runs with a fan on the IC (no cover) and on the radiator: Pulled 226whp/271wtq.

I don't believe the DSC being on would have affecting anything. I will edit this post once I get home.

Here's the Dyno I promised.

- Fully stock
- Removed the IC cover
- 2 fans: 1 on the radiator and 1 on the IC itself.
- 2 4th Gear runs (the 5th run that is without the Air intake to test the myth of the air filter itself being a factor)
- 94 Degrees

I'm working with PowerLab Engineering to get more options of fabricated parts for the MS3 and I get to be the tester :) More info soon! (dance)

Edit: I apparently was pinging a little bit :( (Stupid Chevron gas)

stockdynoyz4.jpg

Last edited:
So I was getting questions about why the numbers were so low and realized that I left the CF on Uncorrected whereas most Dynojet users use the public SAE CF. Here are my numbers again with the adjustment:

238.60whp/287.37wtq (Dirty 91 octane and Pinging)
stockdynosaenz7.jpg

Translate Torque #s, please.

Can someone re-scale the torque (from Newtons? WTF?) in the #5 graph? The one from Oz with only the K&N drop-in. I'm curious to see what effect this simple little upgrade has on torque.

we had a car club dyno day today and my buddy John pulled 270whp with his speed 3. i cant remember the TQ off the top of my head, but thought i would share that with you.

I'll get PDFs posted Thursday.

92* ambient/outside temp
60% humidity

3 pulls, first in 4th, 2 and 3 in 5th as tech guy said that was my 1:1, hood closed fans in front, but it wasn't those massive fans, it was the 15" tall or so fans with a little long oval outlet sort of 'aimed' fan.

It was a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

DSC off

I pulled 227.3hp on the best pull (I just have a printout of the 3rd pull).

That pull also yielded 319tq at 4000rpms.

12psi boost at 3400rpms curve to max of 13psi at 4100rpms back to 12psi at 5100rpms.

a/f 14 @ 3000rpms about a 45* angle downsloping curve until 10.5 @ 5500rpms and drop.

wisniaPl:
Now I KNOW the tech f*ed up the dyno because my numbers should be better than yours with my sig mods. It was very hot and humid out my day, what were conditions when you dyno'd?

Last edited:
I'll get PDFs posted Thursday.

92* ambient/outside temp
60% humidity

3 pulls, first in 4th, 2 and 3 in 5th as tech guy said that was my 1:1, hood closed fans in front, but it wasn't those massive fans, it was the 15" tall or so fans with a little long oval outlet sort of 'aimed' fan.

It was a Dyno Dynamics dyno.

DSC off

I pulled 227.3hp on the best pull (I just have a printout of the 3rd pull).

That pull also yielded 319tq at 4000rpms.

12psi boost at 3400rpms curve to max of 13psi at 4100rpms back to 12psi at 5100rpms.

a/f 14 @ 3000rpms about a 45* angle downsloping curve until 10.5 @ 5500rpms and drop.

wisniaPl:
Now I KNOW the tech f*ed up the dyno because my numbers should be better than yours with my sig mods. It was very hot and humid out my day, what were conditions when you dyno'd?
like before may but i had hood open next time I will try with hood closed for better cooling....wow you have a lot of mods...they had to ****** up something with your dyno ..btw one guy told me they set up dyno to read lower numbers to have idea what numbers you would get on mustang dyno....I had the same numbers like and stock evo that run later on and sti with intake had 5 more hp...i think its not bad for almost stock car....

Last edited:
like before may but i had hood open next time I will try with hood closed for better cooling....wow you have a lot of mods...they had to ****** up something with your dyno ..btw one guy told me they set up dyno to read lower numbers to have idea what numbers you would get on mustang dyno....I had the same numbers like and stock evo that run later on and sti with intake had 5 more hp...i think its not bad for almost stock car....

Well damn compared to mine one of the two of ours is screwed, lol! I'm going with mine, as yours is what I would expect for you car and mods. The tech was trying to tell me it was 77* out because he had a weather station thing, however in the back of the shop (2 car length wide/2 car length deep) in the shade which read 77* out. Meanwhile the dyno is pulled outside the garage doors and is in the sun. No fricking way it was 77* there.

So what dyno is considered holy and infallible? What is the 'benchmark' dyno manufacturer, I want to find one of those and dyno when it cools off or on a cooler, less humid, day.

Just thought I'd beef up the Ozzie numbers and post my Dyno results on my 3 MPS (2007) from Australia

using a CES Racing twin dump turbo back 3" system, Cobb CAI, Xede boosting at 18 psi = 205.9 kW at the wheels!

Thats a nice 274.5 HP (wiggle)

Cheers

Attachments

• MPS320Dyno1.jpg
    MPS320Dyno1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 403
Forgot pages again to scan at work; I will remember tomorrow. I wish someone could call me at 615AM est and remind me as I leave... LOL

Conditions:

85 degress
Hood open
4th gear
1 blower on radiator
No fan on TMIC (started to heatsoak on 2nd and 3rd runs)
Stock everything

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. If I'm reading 1st run correctly, it's about 227 hp and 260 lbs tq

2880022499_1e604d3197_b.jpg

2880856440_649225f90b_b.jpg

I believe the general difference is 20%. 263(.2) = 52.6 less hp. Or 210 WHP.

Why is there a discrepant difference between all these results...?
213HP....249HP...259HP...etc... Are people pulling in different gears?

There should be some HP loss due to drivetrain... but 213HP from a 263HP rated engine...? Isn't that a little excessive? I would have imagine no more than a 30HP loss...

Latest posts

Back