Mazda5: Prices paid and related questions

My first post & seriously looking at a 5

Located in in the greater Vancouver BC area.

Dealer is listing a Mazda 5 GT Automatic with the luxury package for $22965 cash (after the $3000 cash incentive) or $25965 with 0% financing. Then add on the freight & PDI + smaller things like the tire tax, battery tax, wheel locks for $50 etc.

The model meets all of my familys needs but am not sure if I can get a lower price on the $25965 which I need to do in order to make the monthly $$.

Took a 5 for a good test drive and instantly felt part of group of a mazda family/owners! I wanted to flash my headlights and say hey to other Mazda drivers- corny or what ?!?!? Or is all the marketing actually working on me !?!

Would apreciate any guidance on pricing and anything I should know about the '09 model that I should be aware / wary of.

Dealer is listing a Mazda 5 GT Automatic with the luxury package for $22965 cash (after the $3000 cash incentive) or $25965 with 0% financing. Then add on the freight & PDI + smaller things like the tire tax, battery tax, wheel locks for $50 etc.

The model meets all of my familys needs but am not sure if I can get a lower price on the $25965 which I need to do in order to make the monthly $$.

Took a 5 for a good test drive and instantly felt part of group of a mazda family/owners! I wanted to flash my headlights and say hey to other Mazda drivers- corny or what ?!?!? Or is all the marketing actually working on me !?!

Would apreciate any guidance on pricing and anything I should know about the '09 model that I should be aware / wary of.

Hi there - my first post, but I've been dealing with three dealerships in the Halifax area this past week for the exact same model you're looking at. So far the lowest quote I've gotten (without the use of CarCostCanada or any real pressure tactics) was $25,750 financed (plus freight / PDI etc., and taxes). Unfortunately, due to the crazy Nova Scotia taxes, it adds up to a grand total of just under $31,000.
Additionally, we would be getting the $500 grad discount, and the dealer has agreed to include $1,200 worth of accessories at cost (which added up to $500).
By the way, I got the CCC report for the car, and the invoice cost of the GT with luxury pkg is $24,844 before the cash/financing discounts, so at the CASH price you were quoted, the dealer would be making $1,100. Interestingly, the financed price you mentioned is $3,000 more than the cash price. There is a non-cash factory to dealer incentive this month of $750, which you should be able to apply to the financed price as well.
So, in summary (sorry to ramble), I'd say the cash price isn't bad, but you can probably get some accessories thrown in (or at cost), but the financed price needs to come down by the $750 discount to be equal.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi there - my first post, but I've been dealing with three dealerships in the Halifax area this past week for the exact same model you're looking at. So far the lowest quote I've gotten (without the use of CarCostCanada or any real pressure tactics) was $25,750 financed (plus freight / PDI etc., and taxes). Unfortunately, due to the crazy Nova Scotia taxes, it adds up to a grand total of just under $31,000.
Additionally, we would be getting the $500 grad discount, and the dealer has agreed to include $1,200 worth of accessories at cost (which added up to $500).
By the way, I got the CCC report for the car, and the invoice cost of the GT with luxury pkg is $24,844 before the cash/financing discounts, so at the CASH price you were quoted, the dealer would be making $1,100. Interestingly, the financed price you mentioned is $3,000 more than the cash price. There is a non-cash factory to dealer incentive this month of $750, which you should be able to apply to the financed price as well.
So, in summary (sorry to ramble), I'd say the cash price isn't bad, but you can probably get some accessories thrown in (or at cost), but the financed price needs to come down by the $750 discount to be equal.

Cheers!

Hey, thanks for the detailed info. I'd seen CCC ad's online but don't really know what info they actually provide in their reports... thanks for letting me know about the invoice price.

So how do people use the CCC report to negotiate? In this example, if I had the report, do I have $1200 room to negotiate? Plus $750 you've mentioned? Would I show them the report? A couple of Mazda dealer I've visited did say that their profit was around $1500 - does that now negate the CCC edge??

Getting your accessories at cost was a nice deal!

Yeah, the BC taxes are a tad over $3000!! This amount is a killer...

On another topic: I was told this model 5 Auto GT + luxury has contact sensors for the alarm but no shock sensor! So the windows can be broken but no alarm goes off... also did not see any flashing warning light for the alarm to ward off would be thieves. The dealer said the shock sensor could be installed... can I get this down aftermarket?

Thanks rsexsmth and anyone else that can throw in their advice!

Hey, thanks for the detailed info. I'd seen CCC ad's online but don't really know what info they actually provide in their reports... thanks for letting me know about the invoice price.

So how do people use the CCC report to negotiate? In this example, if I had the report, do I have $1200 room to negotiate? Plus $750 you've mentioned? Would I show them the report? A couple of Mazda dealer I've visited did say that their profit was around $1500 - does that now negate the CCC edge??

Getting your accessories at cost was a nice deal!

Yeah, the BC taxes are a tad over $3000!! This amount is a killer...

On another topic: I was told this model 5 Auto GT + luxury has contact sensors for the alarm but no shock sensor! So the windows can be broken but no alarm goes off... also did not see any flashing warning light for the alarm to ward off would be thieves. The dealer said the shock sensor could be installed... can I get this down aftermarket?

Thanks rsexsmth and anyone else that can throw in their advice!

Hey IntoMazda,
CCC is excellent in actually letting you know what you're dealing with. It provides the MSRP and Invoice costs of the various trim packages and options. Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the dealer's cost of accessories, so I'll have to take their word for it - though it seems pretty good. They're giving me $1,200 worth of accessories for $500.
CCC recommends you meet directly with the sales manager, show them the report (so they know you have proof of their invoice cost), and then offer them a profit of anywhere between 3-8% based on the popularity of the vehicle. I'm not sure how popular the 5 is in BC, but it seems that they're everywhere here. I haven't bought yet, but have decided to settle on about a 6% profit for them - one of the other dealers wouldn't work with me, so I'm thinking they don't have a lot of problems moving them in Nova Scotia.
Anyway, good luck with the hunt!! I'll be sure to post the final deal I make!

Bit the bullet

Well, I finally made the plunge and bought my new 5 here in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Final price paid was $27,000 plus tax (13% here!) OTD
Mazda 5 GT with Luxury package
Automatic
Accessories included (installed):
Roof rack
Large roof box
Window visors
Remote starter

The dealer didn't have the color we wanted, so we're now awaiting its arrival :)

Cash for Clunkers Program

Have you all seen the Cash for Clunkers program about to go into affect in the U.S.? http://www.cars.gov/ Maybe be signed as early as July 1st.

I bought a CX-9 last year and found myself in the market for a new car for my wife now and am considering the Mazda5. She loves the car and side doors, but doesn't like that it's only a 4 cylinder.

How's the perfomance relative to other cars? The new CX-7s are a bit higher than we want to spend and the oil changing process on the CX-7 and turbo frigten me a bit.

Comments?

Well, I finally made the plunge and bought my new 5 here in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Final price paid was $27,000 plus tax (13% here!) OTD
Mazda 5 GT with Luxury package
Automatic
Accessories included (installed):
Roof rack
Large roof box
Window visors
Remote starter

The dealer didn't have the color we wanted, so we're now awaiting its arrival :)

Congrats !

Sounds like you went with the 0% finanace option?

Did you have to pay a charge to order a car from another dealership in order to get the colour you want??

I think the window visors make the look more sporty...!

Have you all seen the Cash for Clunkers program about to go into affect in the U.S.? http://www.cars.gov/ Maybe be signed as early as July 1st.

I bought a CX-9 last year and found myself in the market for a new car for my wife now and am considering the Mazda5. She loves the car and side doors, but doesn't like that it's only a 4 cylinder.

How's the perfomance relative to other cars? The new CX-7s are a bit higher than we want to spend and the oil changing process on the CX-7 and turbo frigten me a bit.

Comments?

BC, Canada has http://www.scrapit.ca/

Congrats !

Sounds like you went with the 0% finanace option?

Did you have to pay a charge to order a car from another dealership in order to get the colour you want??

I think the window visors make the look more sporty...!

Hey There,

No charge for getting the car from another dealer, but we haven't been given a deliver date yet (going to call them today) :(

And yes, I went with the 0% financing. I had the option of paying cash, but if I apply the same cash to my mortgage, the savings over 5 years would be bigger than the $3,000 cash discount on the car. All in all, it worked out pretty well - the dealer ended up making about $900 bucks profit (including accessories) and none of the other dealers in the region would match the price. Now we'll just see how long it takes to get the car ;)

The current dealer cash incentives make it tempting to buy now. They're currently advertising a $3000 cash incentive on the Mazda5 GS for June 2009 in Ontario. Do these cash incentives typically last year-round? If not, I guess it'll require some negotiation. If I walk into the dealer with the current advertisement, I should be able to get the GS for cash with the advertised reduction without really negotiating.

I most likely won't need the 5 until early next year so I'm leaning towards holding off to see what the 2010 model has to offer. Would it be reasonable for me to expect to pay less (compared to today) for a new or demo model 2008/2009 at that time as dealers are likely to clear out older stock?

The current dealer cash incentives make it tempting to buy now. They're currently advertising a $3000 cash incentive on the Mazda5 GS for June 2009 in Ontario. Do these cash incentives typically last year-round? If not, I guess it'll require some negotiation. If I walk into the dealer with the current advertisement, I should be able to get the GS for cash with the advertised reduction without really negotiating.

I most likely won't need the 5 until early next year so I'm leaning towards holding off to see what the 2010 model has to offer. Would it be reasonable for me to expect to pay less (compared to today) for a new or demo model 2008/2009 at that time as dealers are likely to clear out older stock?

From what I was told, these offer whether it's a cash incentive or 0%, they come and go without any warning... I guess it depends on how much product they have sitting around and how badly Mazda Canada wants to sell it... Everyone as targets to meet.....

From what I'm reading no one has a clue if the 2010 model will be that much different.... If a 2010 model comes out, will a '09 be cheaper - marginally - they may just offer 0% financing to sell off the 09's... Look at the 2009 / 2010 Mazda 3 offers - something similar would happen in my opinion.

More Car Deals ?

Is it me or are there a ton of manufacturers advertsing even more with more offers starting this week...??

Used 2008 GT +Nav in SO Cal

Paid about $18670 for a 2008 Mazda 5 Grand Touring with 8500 miles in Crystal White Pearl Mica. It was 14 months old and included the mats, bumper guard and NAVIGATION! Total OTD price was about $20400. No trade, cash price.
So Cal sales taxes had just increased, so if we were three weeks earlier it would have been about $200 cheaper. We got the best deal at the San Diego / Temecula dealer. We figure the 2 hour drive saved at least $1k compared to the same car in the Los Angeles market. The colors were very limited locally, and "premium colors" werent as marked down. We were trying for a red GT under $20k OTD. However, for $400 more, we got the NAV and pearl white (our second choice), so we jumped at it. (yes) After 10 weeks of ownership, we are very pleased with the car and the final price.

Mazda 5 Purchase

I bought a 2008 Sunlight Silver Metallic Grand Touring Mazda5 from the Star Mazda dealership in Glendale, CA in May, 2008.

I paid a total of $28,103.30. Of course I got almost every accessory with the car - Navigation System, Multi-Disc CD player, Roof Rack, Roof Box, Bike Rack, Heated Seats, Blue Tooth, Ipod Integration Module, Luggage Basket, Tinted Windows, All Weather Floor Mats, Interior Cargo Cover, Cargo Net (which I've never used!), and a simple ash tray (since the car didn't have one, and I needed a place for my change!)

This is a great car. My only complaint is that I see the dealer WAY too often! Just had my 25,000 mile service last week, then had to go back today to get the car checked out due to a shuddering when braking. Was told I needed new front brake pads. UGH! They gave them to me at cost, with no labor supposedly :)

Rosenthal Mazda, Vienna , VA
Black Mazda 5 Grand Touring
Black Leather interior
$21,300 with 5.9 for 72 months

Rosenthal Mazda, Vienna , VA
Black Mazda 5 Grand Touring
Black Leather interior
$21,300 with 5.9 for 72 months

Kschramm, was the $21,300 out-of-door price or sale price? I received a quote from them in the last two weeks $20,939 for a Sport model! Their "processing fee" is $399 alone. If you don;t mind, please PM me the sales person you were working with.

Thanks in advance,

FW

Great Deal

I bought a 2008 mazda 5 with all the options last friday with only 6, 000 miles for 13, 800. It was the best deal I could find around considering it is pratically new and it has a clean carfax.

Back