Mazda on 2nd place?

One issue that Mazda is overcoming is it is now standing on its own two feet without Ford's money. They are investing, but it will take time and more published wins for the public to take notice of them. Thier sales were not great when Ford owned a large percentage, when they were nothing more than rebadged vehicles. Toyota and Honda are Americas sweethearts as they make a boatload of models to choose from. They also have dealerships on every street corner! Mazda may never be a high volume car company, but does it matter? Who wants to see themselves coming and going all the time. Enjoy before they are everywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who wants to see themselves coming and going all the time. Enjoy before they are everywhere!

Agreed. In the past after I bought a new car, I would start seeing them everywhere. This has not been the case with the CX-5. I like that it is not the generic small SUV.

To address the question of why Mazda doesn't sell more cars, it is probably a case of customer perception lagging reality. It takes many years to build a reputation and Mazda may need a few more years of building great cars before the buying public realizes it.

Last edited:
In a way I am pleased Mazda is down there. The CX-5 is one of the most common cars I have owned. (Grin)

I think there are a few factors for the low sales.
1. People only buy a car every few years so it takes a long time to change perceptions.
2. Many people buy what they have owned before or what there family owned.
3. If I believe the adds (and I do because they wouldn't spend all that money on adds that don't work.) People buy cars based on looks, being as good or better then there neighbor, and toys like WiFi. I have noticed that GM doesn't show any of there cars being driven, or moving at all. They also don't say anything at all about handling, fun, or any other mechanical things. It is all about looks, toys, and luxury.
4. People on this forum are different by virtue of being on the forum. we research cars and buy based on research.

Story. I owned 4 Peugeots. Everyone knew Peugeots were unreliable. Everyone at work, the other dealers, car guys. I checked with a couple of independent foreign car mechanics. They told me that the only major problems I was likely to see was a head gasket every 100,000 miles. I asked, "Good grief, how many 100,000 miles do I get." The answer, As many as you want. It is a wet sleeve engine. after about 500,000 you can pop in new sleeves and keep going. Research showed the model I was buying (504) was the most popular taxi cab in Africa, and second only to Mercedes in Europe Each of those cars ran over 100,000 and a couple of them needed head gaskets. That and one water pump were the only non consumables I ever put in them. But my coworkers were still convinced they were unreliable because someone had told them so. I suspect that when Peugeot first came to the US they must have been unreliable.

I couldn't care less about sales figures. You can show all the charts you want, but as long as Mazda keeps putting out vehicles like the cx5, 6, mx5, and the upcoming cx9, thats all that matters. I think your average consumer just goes to Honda, Toyota, nissan because its all they know. I like to compare it to apple and Android. You ask any apple(Honda, Toyota) person why they picked their device/car, you hear oh well a lot of people have it, or I don't know, or its a good brand. Ask an android(Mazda) person, they know exactly the reason they picked their phone/car, and have specific reasons.

Another reason which was mentioned above is that I think it wasn't till the departure from ford that Mazda stepped it up. People need to learn about the improvements and reliability.

Lastly, Mazda pretty much never offers any worthwhile incentives. Every other company offers 0% financing, cash back, etc. You saw that this summer. All Mazda offered was your first two payments on them.

Not scientific by any means!

Agreed. In the past after I bought a new car, I would start seeing them everywhere. This has not been the case with the CX-5. I like that it is not the generic small SUV.

To address the question of why Mazda doesn't sell more cars, it is probably a case of customer perception lagging reality. It takes many years to build a reputation and Mazda may need a few more years of building great cars before the buying public realizes it.

I have noticed a distinct increase in the number of CX-5's that I see daily around these parts. Last year it was a rare sight to see another one in the same week. Of course these sightings are never a real indicator. Another item of interest is the newer facility that was built for the "new" owners of the only Mazda dealership in Northern Nevada. The Dolan family purchased Mazda dealership under 10 yrs ago. They owned Reno Toyota for over 25 yrs (that I know of) and began branching out with additional brands back then; adding Lexus, Kia, and Mazda

Also I have been noticing a large increase in the number of guests visiting our forum at all hours of the day. Sounds like interest is growing.

What's that supposed to mean? They need to send the leftovers to the crusher?

No. They sell them as last year's model. Ideally, they'd sell out the day before the next year's model arrives. They don't.

That's not true either. The CX-5 has seen VERY significant increases in sales every year since it was first released. Annual sales figures are in the final chart:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures.html

True, though the entire category has increased. Mazda is slightly ahead of the average annual increase. The CX-5 ranks 17th in sales in the category.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/0...uv-crossover-june-2015-sales-figures.html?m=1

I see more than enough CX-5s. I don't like being part of the herd of cowsumers (you'd have to pay me to drive a CR-V). My previous vehicle was a VW Tiguan which sells far less than the CX-5.

I have noticed a distinct increase in the number of CX-5's that I see daily around these parts. Last year it was a rare sight to see another one in the same week. Of course these sightings are never a real indicator. Another item of interest is the newer facility that was built for the "new" owners of the only Mazda dealership in Northern Nevada. The Dolan family purchased Mazda dealership under 10 yrs ago. They owned Reno Toyota for over 25 yrs (that I know of) and began branching out with additional brands back then; adding Lexus, Kia, and Mazda

Also I have been noticing a large increase in the number of guests visiting our forum at all hours of the day. Sounds like interest is growing.

Mazda isn't considered as highly as Toyota, Honda, and even Nissan in the U.S. Face it, the US in general wants space, numb handling, and CVTs lol. In Canada and is Australia Mazda appears to have a greater market presence. That said Mazda has produced Car of the Year models in Japan 2 years in a row.

Traded in my 228 BMW for my CX-5 about four weeks ago. Totally love the car and I do believe quality is better than the BMWs.

I disagree, different markets, however I've never sat in a 2er, which is advertised as the entry model for 20 somethings.

Back