Mazda on 2nd place?

Yes saw that....three more guys at work have purchased CX-5'S...
Mazda's hot right now..
Feeling really good about my decision..
We are now a 2 Mazda family...always had boring but reliable Toyota's...

Traded in my 228 BMW for my CX-5 about four weeks ago. Totally love the car and I do believe quality is better than the BMWs.

We've been married for 46 years, and out of all the vehicles we have had the CX-5 is my wife's favorite. Mine also, for that matter. The handling, the way the engine and transmission work so well together, and of course the steering.

Does anyone have access to the full article? I find it odd that Mazda and Lexis scored the same on the road test. They are both make very good vehicles but when it comes to handling, very different vehicles.

yes, full CR article available without signing in to the website - just click the CR link provided

it's from Feb 2015 though, so would exclude the 2016's i think

there is a disclaimer that scores are rounded and do not indicate a tie - even so, the rating is right up there

yes, full CR article available without signing in to the website - just click the CR link provided

it's from Feb 2015 though, so would exclude the 2016's i think

there is a disclaimer that scores are rounded and do not indicate a tie - even so, the rating is right up there

I click and get "Full report card and brand profiles available to online subscribers."

odd, i wasn't signed in (i thought) when i clicked the CR link
but when i logoff and come back here to click - yes, i get the abbreviated report
sorry about that Chief !

not really missing much - and it is based on an old report
the chart plus a brief writeup on each brand similar to mazda's

CRM_Page_12_Brand_Report_Cards_04-15.png.jpg

Mazda
Mazda is the sporty-car brand that really builds only one sports car. But from the iconic MX-5 Miata roadster, the Japanese automaker has been able to distill some form of its fun-to-drive identity into every new model it unleashes. That trend has extended to its growing SUV lineup, including the small CX-5 and even smaller CX-3. At a time when some automakers are turning their backs on what made them great, it is refreshing to see a brand that understands itself and replicates its sporty DNA in every new car it makes. But based on their poor scores in IIHS crash tests, we can’t recommend the CX-9 SUV or the Mazda5 small minivan.

Traded in my 228 BMW for my CX-5 about four weeks ago. Totally love the car and I do believe quality is better than the BMWs.

Not better than mine. My CX5 only has 37,000 miles with plenty of wind noise, rattles and dealer visits for things other than normal oil changes. My BMW has 107,000 miles and has been trouble free, including no rattles or wind noise. I love the CX5, but for me it's not even close. Let's see how well these cars hold up when they get some real miles on them. The great thing is that Mazda continues to make improvements each model year.

One-car durability records tell us only how well that particular car has fared. I'll bet even Fiat has examples of perfect reliability, and Lexus has lemons.

I am well aware as are many here that Mazda has been one of the upcoming car companies within the past few years with some stellar model entries offered, but what I fail to understand (as a newb Mazda owner) is - why don't they sell more volume?

I am well aware as are many here that Mazda has been one of the upcoming car companies within the past few years with some stellar model entries offered, but what I fail to understand (as a newb Mazda owner) is - why don't they sell more volume?

Nobody ever said the average consumer knew what they were doing!

People get swayed by upholstery color options, flashy dashboard styling and techy doo-dads like memory power seats or even convenience features like swiping your shoe under the rear tailgate to have it open automatically. Even the dumbest consumer can understand these things but mention a rigid, double galvanized, uni-body construction and they can't relate. Also, some people think they will be late to work if they don't have 250 HP in their compact vehicle.

Because Mazda had been criticized for poorer quality and reliability than other Japanese counterparts. The failure of rotary engines didn't help the image either. Although the quality and reliability are supposed to be improved for recent years after the Ford departure, but many people are still scared of Mazda brand. I have friends who bought multiple Mazda's before are no longer the fan of Mazda's. They even questioned my wisdom of choosing a new Mazda CX-5 as they usually consult me when they have needs of buying cars.

Here are the US sales figures for compact CUV in past two years. CX-5 is the best-selling model for Mazda, but its sales has been lagging way behind every other popular compact CUVs.

Top 4 US Compact CUVs Sales Figures20142015 YTD (11 Months)
Honda CR-V335,019314,462
Ford Escape306,212278,538
Toyota RAV4267,698283,546
Nissan Rogue199,199260,711

The Rest of Compact CUVs Sales Figures20142015 YTD (11 Months)
Subaru Forester159,953158,395
Hyundai Santa Fe107,906108,616
Mazda CX-599,122100,033

Those top 4 compact CUVs do offer memory seat and more interior color options which are desired by many customers. In fact, Mazda does offer memory seat and some other nice features to other regions world wide but the US market. This is the bad decision by Mazda North American Operations and hindered the sales for this market. If you couldn't figure out the desire and preference of the customers, it's your loss and someone else's gain!

They're not selling out their entire production run each model year. Demand is not sufficient to support significant increases in production. Why? Not enough buyers want the unique Mazda offerings, and prefer other companies' formulae.

They're not selling out their entire production run each model year.

What's that supposed to mean? They need to send the leftovers to the crusher?

Demand is not sufficient to support significant increases in production. Why? Not enough buyers want the unique Mazda offerings, and prefer other companies' formulae.

That's not true either. The CX-5 has seen VERY significant increases in sales every year since it was first released. Annual sales figures are in the final chart:
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures.html

Top 4 US Compact CUV Sales2012201320142015 YTD (11 Months)
Honda CR-V281,652303,904335,019314,462
Ford Escape261,008295,993306,212278,538
Toyota RAV4171,877218,249267,698283,546
Nissan Rogue142,349162,751199,199260,711

Bottom of the Pack ----------2012201320142015 YTD (11 Months)
Subaru Forester76,347123,592159,953158,395
Hyundai Santa Fe71,01688,844107,906108,616
Mazda CX-543,31979,54499,122100,033

Sales number speaks everything! The fact is that after 2012 debut for a 2013 Mazda CX-5, it's still sitting at the bottom of the hot selling compact CUV segment! CX-5 has very efficient and effective SkyActiv Technology and attractive Kodo exterior design, but why couldn't it just catch up any popular compact CUVs for four years? While everybody else have significant increases in sales one year or another due to new design or facelift, such as more than 30% increase on Nissan Rogue this year, I wouldn't call CX-5 has VERY significant increases in sales every year since it was first released. First year sale in 2012 is not a full-year sale, and the availability of 2.5L for 2014 MY, had helped a big jump on sales number in 2013. I was surprised CX-5 sales for this year with new facelift of 2016 MY has only increased almost nothing. There is nothing near the sales increase like Nissan Rogue!

If I were the CEO of the Mazda, I'd really think hard about why an excellent product couldn't sell in the US market unless I was in a non-profit business not trying to make any money. Sitting at the bottom for four years is not a good sign! You can't blame on average consumers who only like flashy dashboard styling and techy doo-dads. Last time I checked, the top 4 hot-selling compact CUVs don't offer that!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sales number speaks everything!

Not in the real world where things like gross margins and profit are the bottom line.

Mazda sells every CX-5 they can make, and they do it without offering deep discounts and expensive sales incentives. It takes years to bring new production capacity on-line and that could hurt average selling price and gross margins.

Current CX-5 owners should look on the bright side. There is a very strong market for used CX-5's relative to supply of good used examples.

Back