Mazda Mobile Start

You can already do that from just about any cell phone. There are various GPS apps one can get (some even free), that allow you to accomplish what the above title of the post wants you to do.

CX5T Lover

Hmmm....I don't think I need an app to do what I've been doing very successfully for over 30 years. I haven't lost a car yet (knock on wood).

These are port installed and you can buy them at a dealer

Thanks MCM appreciate the Info, Seems some of the Dealers aren't aware of that !!!!!

Can't wait to get mine, I'll be ordering a bunch of items that I was going to have
the Dealer Install for me and got Shamed into putting them on Myself ;)

Take Care,

CK

Mobile start does not allow you to "control" your climate system. It only does
whatever you left it set to. Another reason I opted out is,
both the car and phone needs to have a cell signal.
What happens if you park in an underground garage that has no signal?

The main box is under the hood. It is a black box with tie straps holding it down there is a long number on a white sticker that is the serial # . The black box has a part # of 0000-8F-Z80 on it.
Maybe this will help

Keep seem to find the box under the hood.

anyone know if the app works with the OEM Mazda remote starter they would have been using just before this app came out? I had the remote starter installed on a 2016 cx-5 touring. At that point the dealer did not know what MMS was.

I'm working on finding this out myself. I have the remote start on my GT. I just emailed my salesperson to see if she knows the answer or can find out for us. If and when I hear back I'll post it here.

I'm working on finding this out myself. I have the remote start on my GT. I just emailed my salesperson to see if she knows the answer or can find out for us. If and when I hear back I'll post it here.

Thanks. They seemed clueless at my dealership. I only wanted Remote Start added for the MMS. They installed it anyway. When questioned no one even knew what it was.

The main box is under the hood. It is a black box with tie straps holding it down there is a long number on a white sticker that is the serial # . The black box has a part # of 0000-8F-Z80 on it.
Maybe this will help

You guys were great getting my cargo liners to me so quick. Thanks. Would you know if the OEM Remote Mazda start would work with this app? I have pic of the FOB for remote on the first page of this thread.

Definitive answer is no. I just had an in depth conversation with the Service manager at My Mazda dealership. I took the hour ride there to sort it out. He said the MMS comes with it's own 2 piece unit to be installed that has noting to do with the OEM Mazda remote they installed on my car that uses the big key FOB. They did agree to remove the one they put in and replace it with the MMS remote.

So the remote start that you put In with the big key fob and the little screen on it has nothing to do with the app?

So the remote start that you put In with the big key fob and the little screen on it has nothing to do with the app?

That is correct. I went to dealer. I had a conversation with head of parts department, and head of service department. Since I wanted the remote to work with the app, they agreed to replace it since it was only put in 2 weeks ago when I purchased the vehicle. They advised me they did not know 2 weeks ago, and only just today got then new 2 part remote in.

Yep, got the reply too that it would need the new install. The only benefit for me is being able to start the car from inside my workplace as it takes several minutes to walk to the parking lot. Nice to have it warmed up or cooled down but I don't think that makes it worth the $500 or so that I was told it would likely cost. If I had the option to swap out my regular remote start for the MMS at no charge I'd do it but both is overkill. As I had a remote start in the Tribeca I traded I'm used to leaving the climate controls set to where I want them when the car starts. I'll live with spending an extra few minutes in the heat or cold. The only other option that makes it tempting is the ability to lock the car remotely but in retrospect I don't think I've ever accidentally left my car unlocked. I'm a creature of habit, I always lock my car as I walk away from it. (Not to mention the ability with the Advanced Keyless to auto lock the doors when walking away.)

Yep, got the reply too that it would need the new install. The only benefit for me is being able to start the car from inside my workplace as it takes several minutes to walk to the parking lot. Nice to have it warmed up or cooled down but I don't think that makes it worth the $500 or so that I was told it would likely cost. If I had the option to swap out my regular remote start for the MMS at no charge I'd do it but both is overkill. As I had a remote start in the Tribeca I traded I'm used to leaving the climate controls set to where I want them when the car starts. I'll live with spending an extra few minutes in the heat or cold. The only other option that makes it tempting is the ability to lock the car remotely but in retrospect I don't think I've ever accidentally left my car unlocked. I'm a creature of habit, I always lock my car as I walk away from it. (Not to mention the ability with the Advanced Keyless to auto lock the doors when walking away.)

In my case I emailed the dealer about adding a remote with the mobile app ability before delivery of new cx5. He said he didn't know if it had a mobile app. He then emailed me your car is in and we installed the remote start. After finding out it IS NOT compatible with MMS the service manager agreed to swap them out.

Morning,

Well, my wife I'm sure would agree with you
about not being in my right mind, but it's nothing
to do with a Remote Start !!!!!!!!

On the Mazda Mobile Start, I for one, am excited about
getting it on my new car. While I'm not super excited about
having to pay an annual fee, I do like the fact of being able
to control the remote start with my Iphone instead of having
another remote. I've never had anything like this before, but it's my
Retirement Gift to myself, and will be nice to have a cool or warm
car to get into.

Take Care,

CK

Hyundai has a similar feature, using an app to control hvac and remote start. No monthly subscription. But to each their own. Who am I to dictate what others do with their money. Just doesn't cut the mustard IMO.

Hyundai has a similar feature, using an app to control hvac and remote start. No monthly subscription.
That sounds too good to be true. The Hyundai website FAQ here states that there is a monthly fee after the trial period. And the annual fee is quite a bit more than Mazda:

What Blue Link packages are available and how much do they cost?
There are three Blue Link packages: Connected Care, Remote and Guidance. After the trial period is over, each package is available for $99/year. The Connected Care Package comes with a complimentary one year trial for all new Blue Link equipped vehicles. A three month trial for Remote and Guidance is available when you sign up using your credit card.

I figure they've got to charge something because they have to pay the cellular carrier for the data use. Think about how much people pay for a simple cell phone line or a tablet that has cellular access for data? It's a lot more than what Mazda is charging.

But, this all doesn't matter because in the end it is not worth it for most readers here. For the minority like me, it is worth it. Last winter was brutal where I live and I have a long walk to the car after a long days work. It will be real nice to get into a warm vehicle and not have to chisel the ice off the windshield. Although, I probably won't use it much during the summer months and I am a little bummed that the subscription can't be paused during that period.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

The data transmitted for these commands is negligible. Reminds of the 10 cents a text message days.

I have an appt. this afternoon to have the MMS installed. I will give feed back later.

I had it installed. It works well. The dealership is over an hour away. I arrived at appointed time. I was then asked for BOTH key fobs. I only had mine, my wife(at work) had hers. I was told it absolutely can NOT be done without BOTH FOBS. No one told me this when I was there making this appointment. No one advised me of this when I called yesterday to confirm today's appointment. My only choice was to go ride another hour and a half to get my wife's FOB, then drive same hour and half back to dealership. so all in all FIVE hours driving. Three of those hours could have been very easily avoided if they informed me they needed both FOBS.
The install was quick, the software part of registering on https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/index.jsp?locale=en_US and then getting the app up and running on 2 phones was HORRIBLE and took more time than the install. Maybe because I was the first one they have done.

I had it installed. It works well. The dealership is over an hour away. I arrived at appointed time. I was then asked for BOTH key fobs. I only had mine, my wife(at work) had hers. I was told it absolutely can NOT be done without BOTH FOBS. No one told me this when I was there making this appointment. No one advised me of this when I called yesterday to confirm today's appointment. My only choice was to go ride another hour and a half to get my wife's FOB, then drive same hour and half back to dealership. so all in all FIVE hours driving. Three of those hours could have been very easily avoided if they informed me they needed both FOBS.
The install was quick, the software part of registering on https://www.mazdamobilestart.com/index.jsp?locale=en_US and then getting the app up and running on 2 phones was HORRIBLE and took more time than the install. Maybe because I was the first one they have done.

Howdy Johnj,

Thanks so much for letting us know how it went.
Glad you got it all taken care of, sorry about all the
run-around.

I've Special Ordered a GT AWD with MMS so just
curious how all that will work especially the setting
up of the App.

I look forward to hearing how you like it and how it's
working for you.

Take Care,

CK

Back