Mazda How-To Quick Links

Literally, the hardest part is getting the old O2 sensor out. Sometimes they can be pretty seized up. Use some anti-seize when you put in the new one.

Directions:
Unclip O2 sensor wire harness.
Unscrew O2 sensor.
Screw in new O2 sensor. (Brush a little anti-seize on the threads first.)
Plug in new harness.
Reset ECU.

If it's a universal harness, you will have 1 additional step, being to wire in the universal wires into the Mazda harness. This part is also easy. The wires should be properly color coded, but double check to be safe.

this isn't really the place for it, but I'm just going to add, for the universal sensor, cut the harness off of your failed sensor and splice it to the new one... then you don't have to alter the car side of the harness.

Cool, thankx for the info guys. I'm still trying to find a cat converter for my mp3, and will replace the o2 sensor's at the same time. Looks like nobody but the dealer in California is allowed to sell the cats now. I can't believe it. California regulations are basically gonna force thousands of cars off the road unless you pay the $900 to get a new oem cat.

btw, is there another way to reset the ecu besides disconnecting the battery?

Cool, thankx for the info guys. I'm still trying to find a cat converter for my mp3, and will replace the o2 sensor's at the same time. Looks like nobody but the dealer in California is allowed to sell the cats now. I can't believe it. California regulations are basically gonna force thousands of cars off the road unless you pay the $900 to get a new oem cat.

btw, is there another way to reset the ecu besides disconnecting the battery?

You can pull the ecu fuse. It's the fuse labeled "Head C/U."

Last edited:
is my FMIC DIY worthy?

Did you make a DIY thread...? If so give me the link and ill add it. If you dont give me a link im not going to go searching for it. I dont have time to search through the entire forum to look for how-to's that other people have done. Thats what the red text is for in my sig.....(cabpatch)

Edit: you need to PM me the link as I do not have time to check every thread that im submitted to.

yeah, stealth doesn't mess around... he deserves a thank you from everyone... as I'll bet money more than half of members have used this thread.

Thanks! I'm subscribed to the tune of 2175 threads. I do not have time to search and look at every single one. Thats even with me unsubscribing to a lot of them to.

Back