Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

I bet they’ve been plugging at X for a while. It probably took longer than they expected. I’m sure this may have killed them if they couldn’t pull it off.

Think they've been doing it for several years and are the only manufacturer persisting with HCCI

Right if they hadn’t done this they’d probably have gen 2 on par with Toyota’s dynamic force engines already. So they bet on the long shot. I respect them for it and hope it pans out.

If they weren’t using the cycle they are it could have more power. But this engine is designed for efficiency before power.

I don’t really think the gears are the problem. The GTI has even taller gearing overall but it pulls just fine.
The GTI makes 250+ lb-ft of torque at like 1400 RPM? With an engine as stout as that, gearing is less of a concern. You could have a 5 speed and it will still feel pretty strong.

The 2.5 NA engine, feels strong/torquey at 2800-3500 RPM, then feels flat until you get to like 5000+ RPM where it makes the most horsepower. So a transmission with more gears could allow Mazda to keep the engine in its powerband a lot better. However with the coming of the SkyActiv-X engine, this is probably no longer a concern for Mazda. If I'm not mistaken, some reviews mentioned how gearing is less of a concern with the new engine because it feels strong across the powerband.

It could help sure.... but I don’t think I would help substantially. Having much more power and torque is what would really help.

I do remember reading that they said the X isn’t as sensitive to being in lower gears with regard to economy which would allow them to reach their efficiency goals without developing a new transmission.

Maybe adding two gears is just considered a mild evolution. It’s also probably a marketing thing as a lot of consumers will just think more speeds is better......

The GTI makes 250+ lb-ft of torque at like 1400 RPM? With an engine as stout as that, gearing is less of a concern. You could have a 5 speed and it will still feel pretty strong.

The 2.5 NA engine, feels strong/torquey at 2800-3500 RPM, then feels flat until you get to like 5000+ RPM where it makes the most horsepower. So a transmission with more gears could allow Mazda to keep the engine in its powerband a lot better. However with the coming of the SkyActiv-X engine, this is probably no longer a concern for Mazda. If I'm not mistaken, some reviews mentioned how gearing is less of a concern with the new engine because it feels strong across the powerband.

Long story short the Skyactiv-X will be designed to work in conjunction with Mazad's 6-speed auto.....in good ways. Power deliver, efficiency, and not to mention very little R&D funds using an existing proven system. I think Mazda's goal is to have this pairing compete with 8-10 speeds.

Skyactiv-X 2.0 NA is aiming towards 187bhp and 170lb ft. If the Skyactiv-x 2.5 were to have a 20% increase in HP it would take it 220hp+

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, some reviews mentioned how gearing is less of a concern with the new engine because it feels strong across the powerband.
SkyActiv-X has a supercharger which would help to smooth the powerband.

⋯ Skyactiv-X 2.0 NA is aiming towards 187bhp and 170lb ft. If the Skyactiv-x 2.5 were to have a 20% increase in HP it would take it 220hp+
Just remember any new innovation takes time to be materialized. Mazda is trying to use HCCI where nobody else successful. During development Mazda has to add more components even put the spark plugs back and a supercharger to make the new engine stable. Now no longer a true HCCI but a SPCCI, the SkyActiv-X 2.0L is still in testing mode and we don't know if there're more issues popping up. Even the SkyActiv-D 2.2L which is on the market for several years now is having overheating problem in Taiwan and Mazda in Taiwan has to stop selling their most popular diesel model for 2019 CX-5 there! A SkyActiv-X 2.5L? Wait until a SkyActiv-X 2.0L really coming out from production then we may think about a SkyActiv-X 2.5L.

A CVT has infinite gears, but most people think they're way worser!
8~10-speed automatic transmission mimics CVT's efficiency but with conventional transmission's performance! ;)

If anyone has read the articles I shared, the only reason we don't have CVTs on all cars is because people are used to the feeling of the transmission shifting when going WOT. I myself am guilty of that and that is the reason I have, when I say CVTs suck when going WOT. I'm just used to the sound of the engine hitting the redline then shifting, then revs pick up and rise back up to redline again. But if you really, really think about it, the process of hitting the redline then shifting to another gear is inferior to a car with a CVT that can stay in the power peak for as long as you are WOT. On a turbocharged engine, you won't even lose boost with a CVT because there are no shifts. I'm actually torn on this as I now think CVTs are better for a daily driver, but I hate how they feel when going WOT. Oh well, we can't have everything in the world. At least Mazda's auto transmissions are very responsive and highly regarded.

Just remember any new innovation takes time to be materialized. Mazda is trying to use HCCI where nobody else successful. During development Mazda has to add more components even put the spark plugs back and a supercharger to make the new engine stable. Now no longer a true HCCI but a SPCCI, the SkyActiv-X 2.0L is still in testing mode and we don't know if there're more issues popping up. Even the SkyActiv-D 2.2L which is on the market for several years now is having overheating problem in Taiwan and Mazda in Taiwan has to stop selling their most popular diesel model for 2019 CX-5 there! A SkyActiv-X 2.5L? Wait until a SkyActiv-X 2.0L really coming out from production then we may think about a SkyActiv-X 2.5L.

True. Skyactiv-X is actually nothing....actually the opposite of Skyactiv engine tech. I read that the Skyactiv-X works better on lower octane!

So the higher octane means it’s harder to ignite from compression which is normally good in a traditional gasoline engine. You are less likely to have pre ignition or knock.

With X they want to ignite it with compression so it’s literally the opposite! So lower octane would be better but 87 is what’s readily available so they’re constrained there.

I'm actually torn on this as I now think CVTs are better for a daily driver, but I hate how they feel when going WOT.

How much time do you spend "daily driving" as opposed to how much time you spend WOT?

You're right about the advantages, but many people have their minds made up.

Right your atmospheric pressure is lower so you can get away with it. I never buy that stuff though.

Back