Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

I don’t feel like it really needs many more gears. The thing is adding those really tall gears for hwy only works if the motor can handle it...... If they put the 2.5T in the CX-5 it’d be fine but I’m not sure it would work all that well with the current.

Ergo probably not a lot of advantage over the current 6 which I also think does fine.

I don’t feel like it really needs many more gears. The thing is adding those really tall gears for hwy only works if the motor can handle it...... If they put the 2.5T in the CX-5 it’d be fine but I’m not sure it would work all that well with the current.

Ergo probably not a lot of advantage over the current 6 which I also think does fine.

Won't work with current but might go well with SkyActiv-X

I actually think more gears will work well with the current 2.5 NA engine. I mean have you guys tried to wind out 2nd or 3rd gear? They are freaking long and pretty slow to accelerate. More gears in between for faster acceleration would be great.

I actually think more gears will work well with the current 2.5 NA engine. I mean have you guys tried to wind out 2nd or 3rd gear? They are freaking long and pretty slow to accelerate. More gears in between for faster acceleration would be great.

This engine more than likely reached the end of it's tuning life. Don't think they can extract much more out of it be it fuel economy or power/torque (acceleration etc) and adding more gears might not help as people expect.

Hello 2.5T & SkyActiv-X :D

Whether you like these transmissions or not, your not going to be able to stop them soon thanks to legislation on emissions. A CVT might sound like its slippping but it holds the revs right in the middle of the high torque band and increases efficiency. The same for 8 and 10 speed transmissions. They will have a ratio right through the speed range to match torque and fuel efficiency. They are expensive to produce so it’s not a gimmick. It helps them meet their legal obligations. I wouldn’t base my opinion on even 5 year old test drives either. Look how far phones, TVs power tools have come in that time. You wouldn’t hunt round to find old tech would you? Give one a whirl, you never know.

Prefer conventional transmissions with 6-10 speed over CVT's anyway so long as they get it right.

There are some out there that are hopeless in choosing the right gear.

Depends if Toyota sees if Mazda is worthwhile for investing

They must think so enough to invest in the joint assembly plant going in Alabama. With domestic production, Mazda taps into Toyota’s US supply chain. Denso being one. The costs of course will be less and with possible tariffs on imports that lessens the impact as well.

The one thing the Japanese automakers do well is that they stick together as family. As they started manufacturing in the States they brought in their suppliers as well. The chain is unbroken.

They must think so enough to invest in the joint assembly plant going in Alabama. With domestic production, Mazda taps into Toyota’s US supply chain. Denso being one. The costs of course will be less and with possible tariffs on imports that lessens the impact as well.

The one thing the Japanese automakers do well is that they stick together as family. As they started manufacturing in the States they brought in their suppliers as well. The chain is unbroken.

True. Let's see how it all pans out

Yea I mean I was thoroughly impressed by the ZF 8 speed in the X3. If Mazda’s is anything like that I’m cool with it. It felt set up with 1-6 as close ratio which it worked through quickly and smoothly. Don’t really notice it unless you’re looking at the tach.

Yea I mean I was thoroughly impressed by the ZF 8 speed in the X3. If Mazda’s is anything like that I’m cool with it. It felt set up with 1-6 as close ratio which it worked through quickly and smoothly. Don’t really notice it unless you’re looking at the tach.

ZF are makers of very good transmissions.

Same in Mexico.

This engine more than likely reached the end of it's tuning life. Don't think they can extract much more out of it be it fuel economy or power/torque (acceleration etc) and adding more gears might not help as people expect.

Hello 2.5T & SkyActiv-X :D

The current engine is hardly running in its current state. It could easily throw out a good bit more power,but yes,bring on the 2.5T...

If they weren’t using the cycle they are it could have more power. But this engine is designed for efficiency before power.

I don’t really think the gears are the problem. The GTI has even taller gearing overall but it pulls just fine.

The current engine hardly running in its current state. It could easily throw out a good bit more power,but yes,bring on the 2.5T...

The recent power and torque increases have been incremental to the engine that has essentially been the same since 2012/2013 when it first appeared (2KW & 2NM increases for KF/KG) plus they've added cylinder deativation for better fuel consumption (this being last throw of the dice to negate decreased efficiency when KF came out). So if you go by these, it appears they can't do that much more to the motor.

Also note that SkyActv-X is "the next generation" which means funds research and development has moved to that.

Last edited:
The recent power and torque increases have been incremental to the engine that has essentially been the same since 2012/2013 when it first appeared (2KW & 2NM increases for KF/KG) plus they've added cylinder deativation for better fuel consumption. So if you go by these, it appears they can't do that much more to the motor.

Also note that SkyActv-X is "the next generation" which means funds research and development has moved to that.

I think they could but they are betting the farm on X and just keeping it going with small updates. They don’t have the R&D resources to focus hard on both I bet.

I think they could but they are betting the farm on X and just keeping it going with small updates. They don’t have the R&D resources to focus hard on both I bet.

If they could then should have been done much sooner and larger increases.

(iagree) with R&D resources are lacking

If they could then should have been done much sooner and larger increases.

(iagree) with R&D resources are lacking

I bet they’ve been plugging at X for a while. It probably took longer than they expected. I’m sure this may have killed them if they couldn’t pull it off.

Back