Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

"Refinement"... refinement of dollar spending lol. You find that on small cars like Mirage, Mz2 etc. Total end result is less performance. So up the engine engine output and then make the suspension less capable (uhm)

(iagree) doesn't make sense (hmm)

I was just going to comment about the twist beam.

Yeaaaah...

3oreum.jpg

Apparently this time around, the 2.2TT Diesel that has been upgraded here is supposedly coming to the 2019 Mazda 3

Source: 2019 Mazda3 to debut at LA show, featuring SkyActiv-X tech

Specifications for the final production unit are yet to be confirmed, but its understood Mazda may launch the new Mazda3 with a 2.0-litre supercharged SkyActiv-X unit producing around 140kW and 230Nm. A diesel unit is also expected, potentially adopting the latest 2.2-litre twin-turbo featured in the updated CX-5 and Mazda6, developing 140kW and 450Nm.

Apparently this time around, the 2.2TT Diesel that has been upgraded here is supposedly coming to the 2019 Mazda 3

Source: 2019 Mazda3 to debut at LA show, featuring SkyActiv-X tech

Specifications for the final production unit are yet to be confirmed, but it’s understood Mazda may launch the new Mazda3 with a 2.0-litre supercharged SkyActiv-X unit producing around 140kW and 230Nm. A diesel unit is also expected, potentially adopting the latest 2.2-litre twin-turbo featured in the updated CX-5 and Mazda6, developing 140kW and 450Nm.

I think they have a 1.8TD diesel elsewhere in the world. That would probably make more sense in the 3 than the 2.2TD.

Odd there's no mention of available AWD...

I think they have a 1.8TD diesel elsewhere in the world. That would probably make more sense in the 3 than the 2.2TD.

Odd there's no mention of available AWD...

We had diesel here for current model (2.2L) as a top spec variant but was removed due to low sales

AWD isn't coming at this stage as it's not aimed as a performance model.....

We had diesel here for current model (2.2L) as a top spec variant but was removed due to low sales

AWD isn't coming at this stage as it's not aimed as a performance model.....

Mazda noted they were looking at bringing available AWD to both the next gen 3 and 6 as they get re-designed as it's an in demand feature, particularly as they aim upmarket.

Mazda noted they were looking at bringing available AWD to both the next gen 3 and 6 as they get re-designed as it's an in demand feature, particularly as they aim upmarket.

Let's hope they do but so far, most of the information only relates to SkyActiv-X engine.

"Refinement"... refinement of dollar spending lol. You find that on small cars like Mirage, Mz2 etc. Total end result is less performance. So up the engine engine output and then make the suspension less capable (uhm)

You're looking for performance, Mazda is looking for less NVH. You think they're making it less capable, but they think they're improving it for the majority of buyers.

Thing is other makes have low NVH vehicles and use multi-link suspensions.... why can't Mazda (uhm)

Thing is other makes have low NVH vehicles and use multi-link suspensions.... why can't Mazda (uhm)

Yet, no one complained about a torsion beam on the Fiesta ST, everyone praised its handling abilities...a lot of it comes down to how it is engineered, Mazda wanted to make the rear space bigger, reduce weight, and reduce NVH and a torsion beam does all that, can't say for sure if it really is a downgrade until the 3 can be test drove after release date...the French Peugeot 308 is famous for its handling ability with a torsion beam, so we can't just automatically assume torsion beam is always an inferior setup.

Yet, no one complained about a torsion beam on the Fiesta ST, everyone praised its handling abilities...a lot of it comes down to how it is engineered, Mazda wanted to make the rear space bigger, reduce weight, and reduce NVH and a torsion beam does all that, can't say for sure if it really is a downgrade until the 3 can be test drove after release date...the French Peugeot 308 is famous for its handling ability with a torsion beam, so we can't just automatically assume torsion beam is always an inferior setup.
True maybe it is the answer for Mazda but from what I have read, pretty much every reviewer prefers independent suspension to torsion beam for overall handling and comfort.

Mazda has been using independent suspension in their 3 since 2004 when it first came out and now after 14 years, they are moving away.

I have my concerns but will reserve judgement until it is out and has been thoroughly tested and reviewed

the French Peugeot 308 is famous for its handling ability with a torsion beam.

Ahhh. Perhaps you meant the 306?. Those were the days. Back in the 90's I had one. Best handling car I've ever had. Pity about the French electrics....

Heres the CX-3 rear arrangement for the front and all wheel drive (the latter is mooted for the forthcoming 3). I had a CX-3 and the suspension was one of the major deciding points for coming to the CX-5. It was way too soft for my liking and I routinely bottomed it out over some relatively calm speed humps on the way to work. The CX-3 is on the 2 platform so I suppose it could all be beefed up but that wants careful testing before committing to a 3 IMO.

Attachments

• suspension rear.pdf
    146.2 KB · Views: 56
VW did this with the Jetta and then moved back to an independent setup. I think on really small and light vehicles a twist beam setup can work well enough. But I don’t believe it really scales up into larger heavier cars. But as others have said it might be fine. We won’t know till it’s out and people can drive it.

I do know for me it helped me decide the updated 3 wasn’t what I was wanting and just went for the GTI. I think I made the right decision.

You're looking for performance, Mazda is looking for less NVH. You think they're making it less capable, but they think they're improving it for the majority of buyers.

Meh...so which car brands are catering to performance these days?

VW did this with the Jetta and then moved back to an independent setup. I think on really small and light vehicles a twist beam setup can work well enough. But I don’t believe it really scales up into larger heavier cars. But as others have said it might be fine. We won’t know till it’s out and people can drive it.

I do know for me it helped me decide the updated 3 wasn’t what I was wanting and just went for the GTI. I think I made the right decision.
You made the right decision,and thats coming from someone that will never own another VW...

As for Mazda,not looking good to be a repeat owner here either...

Meh...so which car brands are catering to performance these days?

I hate to say it, but the mainstream brand you are looking for that is also increasing performance of their cars is Honda. That is, if you can get past their polarizing designs.

This should be a wake-up call for Mazda. Mazda, you cannot be losing performance minded customers to Honda. Need more zoom-zoom to go with along with the luxury refinements.

Ford actually is the most enthusiast centric atm.

Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Edge ST, Fusion Sport, Mustang (several levels), Raptor, GT.

I would say SHO but that’s dead atm I think.

And probably more coming as they transition to SUV brand. I mean if you want a sporty CUV........

Back