Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

To me both gens just aren’t a quick off the line vehicle. It needs 70 more hp in my opinion. So I just don’t see that as a significant enough to say it lost zoom zoom in that regard when it never had it.

Fair enough.

I am definitely the type to gun it when the light turns green and seeing the difference in acceleration between Gen 1 and Gen 2 in that one video that got posted a while back showed quite a difference.

That's really been my only concern on the zoom zoom front. Despite your "feel" it very obviously went down, not up/same looking at it from the outside.
That's the whole spirit of Zoom Zoom, though. Not: is fast. But: feels fast, feels tight, feels good...
Feel.... Alive...
Yea...I said it. [emoji16]

That's the whole spirit of Zoom Zoom, though. Not: is fast. But: feels fast, feels tight, feels good...
Feel.... Alive...
Yea...I said it. [emoji16]

(rofl)

Yeah, yeah. I'll give you that. I never considered my Gen 1 CX-5 a fast car. But it always felt fast to me. That's why I'm concerned that that actually went down with Gen 2.

Mazdas inspire confidence while in motion on a back road or twisty mountain. Not stoplight drag races :).

The CX-9 has good power. The 6 just got a major power plant upgrade with a sweet engine that can provide more HP if you run better gas in it. How cool is that? Very imo. I'm sure the CX-5 will get a stronger engine soon too.
I don't see why the 3 couldn't get it as well, if you're willing to pay.
Maybe I'll be disappointed when I finally test drive that 6, but I'm just not seeing this doom and gloom that you all are: fearful of losing our Zoom Zoom.

Zoom zoom should be there but don't expect it to be Mazdaspeed way

Yea, First was CX-9, then the CX-5, and now 6. In all cases they went from being below average on noise isolation and probably just average interior to best in class in both. I see that direction continue. Theyre basically offering near luxury car refinement as a mainstream brand.

I think its welcome as Ive always preferred a quiet interior and more refined styling. Think more like a European car than say a boy racer Honda.

(iagree)

Having driven Gen 2, that tiny loss of power is not even remotely noticable. And honestly at one point I was thinking it somehow felt a bit better on responsiveness to the pedal.

That is because they tweaked the throttle response to make it "more instantenous"

To me both gens just arent a quick off the line vehicle. It needs 70 more hp in my opinion. So I just dont see that as a significant enough to say it lost zoom zoom in that regard when it never had it.

Zoom zoom is different things to different people. The fun of a great handling vehicle to one person, more oomph to another :)

Zoom zoom is different things to different people. The fun of a great handling vehicle to one person, more oomph to another :)

I agree outright accelerating was never its thing. It’s confident and predictable handling. And in that gen 2 is better while also being quieter and more comfortable.

Pretend I inserted the why not both meme.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not an only oomph straight line person. I love the twisties in my CX-5. That's definitely one of the times I have the most fun with it, and I've expressed that on this forum.

But it's also at stop lights when they turn green. Both scenarios never fail to put a smile on my face. :)

EDIT: Sure back in 2013, I might have been better getting a Speed3 for my likes, but I wanted something with AWD and higher off the ground and with some practicality to it, but still fun as a 1 car person/household. CX-5 fit that category. And truth be told, I love the shape and styling of the CX-5 way more than hatch 3's of most gens. So to me it just seems disappointing when I see very noticeably and visibly that one aspect of the Zoom-Zoom factor I like in my Gen 1 appears to be worse off in the Gen 2. I guess responsiveness of the throttle would help the feel as a driver, but nothing is helping the styling (subjective, I know I am in the minority of folks with my dislike of Gen 2 external styling) and the very obviously worse throttling performance side by side with a Gen 1.

But hey, as you always say Xeler8, to each their own. :)

Last edited:
Pretend I inserted the why not both meme.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not an only oomph person straight line person. I love the twisties in my CX-5. That's definitely one of the times I have the most fun with it, and I've expressed that on this forum.

But it's also at stop lights when they turn green. Both scenarios never fail to put a smile on my face. :)

No arguements from me there :D

"Refinement"... refinement of dollar spending lol. You find that on small cars like Mirage, Mz2 etc. Total end result is less performance. So up the engine engine output and then make the suspension less capable (uhm)

Back