Mazda 626 Intake Mani Info thread

flat_black said:
Cool, I'll have to stop by there tonight. Thanks!

here is what you need, left side 1/2" flare, right side is 5/8" flare on the top one, and 5/8" on the bottom one, the pipe I used is 1/2" SS

IMG_2844-vi.jpg

tekkie said:
here is what you need, left side 1/2" flare, right side is 5/8" flare on the top one, and 5/8" on the bottom one, the pipe I used is 1/2" SS

IMG_2844-vi.jpg
Just to let you know....Those pieces are adapters for FLexible Gas SUPPLY lines.They are only used to connect things like stoves and water heaters.Those flexible gas lines only run about a 1/2 PSI through them and have no heat applied to them. I dont see whey this wont hold up, but its possible that it wont. The only other thing I was considering was splitting the factory 626 or protege EGR pipe and adding the needed length by welding in a section...I am all about making things look factory.I am not sure if the 626 EGR pipe will work but I am going to do some research and maybe check this for myself.If your Dyno shows positive results then I will order my Intake Mani and I will order the 626 EGR pipe to check the fitment of with this set up.
Nice work Tekkie...And props for being quick about it!(thumb)

BTW...I have an assload of these connectors and lines at work.I use them at least a couple of times a week.These parts are readily available at lowes or home depot or any appliance store.We should get a part # list together for home depot (located everywhere) for those who may not know what to buy.

yeah I know that it may not hold up, we will have to wait and see, I am going to switch to the 626 egr if I keep the mani on anyway :)

I am going to try and contribute. I dont know if this was said in the other threads but hear you go. I went and got a intake manifold from a junkyard today. I asked for a 99 but it came of a 98, but their is no difference between 98 and 99. 2000 and up their is. Just to make this clear to everyone. First on 99 and below runners seem to be the same as the 2000 looking at pics provided but egr is in the middle of the manifold instead of being next to the throttle body. Second here is wheir I think people were saying it wouldnt work the fuel rail bolts on differently on the 99 and below then 2000 and above so you cant use your old one. The size of the fuel rail doesnt look to much different. Egr is in fact the same one. I still might try to use it. The runners are shorter then with vics if you look at pics the plennum in the pics on page one you will see that it sits further down on the vics manifold making the ruuners a little longer. Now what happens is the butterflys open to the extra chamber to create a inertia charge to ram in the air like a shorter runner efect ( may not be explaing effectively) Buth their is no long short runner. Take apart your manifold and you will understand. Now Mazdas vris Is alot better design then vics and the older designs were better in my oppinion. I want to try this manifold becaus after I ported out the vtcs and ttok apart the manifold I personally didnt like the design. I am na I will try and let you know the difference if I decide to use this manifold ( questioning due too different rail) Also this manifold port are a little smaller I think because of it not having the vtcs, but I am probbaly wrong. Will try to post pics. I also added this info to add to the informational difference of the manifolds. Hope this was helpfull info.

Last edited:
After trying to swap my injectors onto the 99 and below manifold I found some good info. The 99 and below have much bigger injectors so you have to take out the spacer to make them work. Alright no problem then next problem injector tip on 99 and earlier is much longer so to much grinding and modification would have to be done to make them work. So you have to use a 2000 and up federal emission manifold to make it bolt on it is much worth it. Here are pics.

inj1.jpg
inj2.jpg
pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

I am going to try and get a 2000 manifold. I found one, well see. This is for NA by the way.

Last edited:
yeah I was told the older mani would not fit now we know why :)

I should be getting my dyno done on saturday

Got the EGR out and new one in by taking out some coolant hoses. Now it's just remembering where all the vacuum lines go...

this company was having a dyno day on saturday, 55 bucks for 3 pulls, well I show up and they said its cancelled :( I asked if I could get one done anyway and they said no because they had 2 cars they were getting ready for Sema :(

this week they are getting ready - going to Sema so thats out of the question so hopefully I will have time to go next week

Got mine up and running. Couple things that I ran into were that the VICS/VTCS solenoids had to be hooked up or I got a CEL. To cap them off I dipped a couple small screws in goop glue and screwed them into the top and the new EGR tube came out last night, so I put some thread locker on it and torqued it down as tight I could. Another thing I noticed was that an oil line for the turbo runs right underneath the EGR tube. The heat from the old EGR tube was corroding the oil line so while you've got things out of the way I'd suggest putting another bracket or spacer on the line to prevent it from touching the EGR tube as mine had been.

tekkie said:
this company was having a dyno day on saturday, 55 bucks for 3 pulls, well I show up and they said its cancelled :( I asked if I could get one done anyway and they said no because they had 2 cars they were getting ready for Sema :(

this week they are getting ready - going to Sema so thats out of the question so hopefully I will have time to go next week

Thats kinda weak. What's a dyno session 1 or 2 two hours depending on your needs. Yeah lets turn buisness away and possible word of mouth buisness so we can tinker with our toys just a tad more.

ND4MSP said:
Thats kinda weak. What's a dyno session 1 or 2 two hours depending on your needs. Yeah lets turn buisness away and possible word of mouth buisness so we can tinker with our toys just a tad more.

well the customers had spent alot of money on the cars there, so I dont blame them for doing that

but it would have been nice if they had posted that it was cancelled cause I drove 40 mins each wayout there :(

and the EGR pipe is still working so far :)

Copied my post from the MP3 section:

I would think that having a manifold with VICS (but the buterflies removied) and no VTCS would be ideal. That way you get no restrictions from the VTCS tumblers and no restrictions from the VICS butterflies, yet you get the advantage of the VICS resonance chamber. I think that maybe the gains people have seen come from the lack of VTCS tumblers. I'd like to see a test between a 626 IM (no VICS / no VTCS) and an MP3 IM (yes VICS / no VTCS). I was actually thinking about getting an MP3 IM and taking the VICS valves out to have the VICS chamber exposed all the time, but without the valves covering part of the runner.

Any thoughts?

Back