Mazda 3 or Chevy Cruze, or ???

When did this become a CLA bashing thread? I didn't ask for anyone's opinion of my CLA. I'm not disagreeing with anyone here but then, my preferences are different and I don't feel like I need to justify why I got it. If everyone cared about how a vehicle is rated then Range Rover, Jaguar, and many other brands would be out of business but they're not. Again, I didn't ask for anyone's opinion about the CLA so any unsolicited comments are just mean spirited and I hope that's not where this forum is going. I'm only here to try to provide what I can about the Gen3 Mazda 3, which I also chose, purchased, and love. As soon as I mentioned my other car people just started to pile on. Why don't we just stick to the topic?

Last edited:
I think that's the problem - you never asked anyone's opinion before you bought the car. (outie)
One of my brothers-in-law told me he was looking at SUVs and had checked out the Highlander and Highlander Hybrid. I complemented the vehicle and told him they are at or near the top of their class in ride and reliability.

2 weeks later I found out that he bought a Nissan Armada. I checked its ratings and found it to be described by CR as "The WORST of the WORST" - horrible gas mileage, very unreliable, and at the bottom of its class.

Many of us here are car enthusiasts who do quite a bit of comparison and rating reading. On a personal face-to-face basis I try not to bash someone's car, but if that person is telling others about what a wonderful car/vehicle it is, I feel that I have to step in and set the record straight, primarily to warn potential copycat buyers that they should research thoroughly before buying on impulse or based upon one person's rating that is often biased.

There are many Corvette owners out there who swear that the Corvette they have owned for 2 years is the most reliable sports car out there - yes, more reliable than MX5s, Honda S2000s and Nissan Zs. On the other hand, if someone mentioned that their Honda Accord was a piece of junk, I'm sure you'd feel the need to present your (and many magazine writer's) opinion to counter the (mostly rare) negativity many other forum members would see and potentially be influenced by.

OK, I'm not sure if you're calling me a liar or not for claiming that I haven't had any issues with my CLA but that's fine. I really don't care about that because I'm not trying to sell that car to anyone. But my point is I wasn't looking for reliability when I bought that car. I don't care about anyone else's opinions but my own. If I cared about all that then I would be driving a Camry or another Accord. I never claimed that the CLA is a wonderful car. All I said was it's been great for me. If you actually read my previouse post you'll see that I've acknowledged some of its faults. I knew about them and I accept them. Many won't but I will. Many seem to focus on reliability as the only, or at least the major, criteria for rating a car. I do too which is why I got my Mazda but I don't need reliability for all of my cars. I've just been lucky so far with the CLA but I know there will come a time when it will need costly repairs but like I've said before I'm aware of that and I can accept that. You're not telling me anything I don't already know. All I said was I didn't experience any issues with the infotainment screen in my CLA and was using that experience as a basis for comparing it to the screen in the Mazda 3 and right away you came out attacking the CLA unprovoked. I never said how great the car was and that everyone should get one. You make the first attack that I think was uncalled for. This is no different to cyber bullying. I think I've said all I needed to say so I'm going to end the discussion about my CLA right here because that's not what this thread is about. So why don't we just focus on the topic, huh?

Last edited:
No, the Corvette guys really didn't have any issues for 2 years; they did have issues during year 3, 5, 7, 9,.....

But don't take this seriously. We weren't bashing you - just your car. Here's a funny story for you: Back in the early 80s I bought a winter car, a 1975 Monte Carlo. It was hit a few times by a drunken night club patron while I was inside. Anyway, one night after a recent snowstorm had left large snowdrifts at every corner, I went to Caldor, a local department store. As I exited my bashed up Monte Carlo and approached the store entrance, some younger teenagers who were crossing through the parking lot yelled out, "Hey, your car looks like a piece of sh_t!" As I looked at them, they started sprinting away, expecting me to be so incensed that I'd be sure to run after them with bulging eyes and clenched fists.
Instead, I laughed hysterically at the thought that they figured I'd be so insulted.
I still laugh today when I think about it.
So again, don't get insulted. We all share our love of Mazdas. I bought my first in 1977. And no, it was not universally loved by all.

Back