Mazda 3 or Chevy Cruze, or ???

levets

:
Mazda 3
Hello all.

I'm sure most of the forumites here are already owners of a Mazda 3 but I'm keen to hear from anyone who's recently bought or is planning to buy a new (2016) Mazda 3 and compared it with similarly priced and equipped vehicles from other manufacturers.

Disclaimer: I'm able to get employee pricing, and have the choice of Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Mazda. So I'm not looking at anything else really. Golf (or some VW) did really well in ratings, but given their recent debacle and that it's outside of my sphere, I'm not considering it.

On paper, and in my research, the Mazda 3 kept coming out a winner in this price range and size vehicle. For me, other close contenders were the Chevy Cruze and the Honda Civic (slightly more pricey) of cars I could get and would probably want.

I currently own a 97 Civic (yes, 97, that wasn't a typo) and at this point it's costing more than a car payment to keep it running, so....

My finances are such that even with the discount, I would be looking at a base model with no frills, so I was also considering "bang for my buck" into the equation.

As I said, I own a Civic, and I love my Civic. I hate the Honda dealership where I have my car serviced because I've had to come back more than once on three different occasions for them to fix the repair they didn't fix the first (or second!) time. The price, and the fact I've had one, and the ratings being less than stellar have put that into a distant 3rd place on my list. Plus, maybe it's just time for something else despite how I love my current Civic and what a great car it's been for these past 18 years.

I really thought, after all my research, I wanted a Mazda 3. But I wanted to give the Cruze a fair shake too.

I test drove both today (both automatic), back to back, Cruze first. Here were my impressions:

Cruze:

Cons:
Acceleration to get on to the interstate was an absolute joke! This car has no power whatsoever. Remember, I'm coming from a Civic saying that!
Getting into the turbocharged counterpart moves up from LS to LT, adding price.
Big black area under rearview mirror that was visually distracting.
Sight lines where not great for view surrounding vehicle, and over your shoulder right blind spot check was impractical.
They only had two, both in colors I did not like, one being a color I definitely do not want (already have two that color) and the other not so great.
Ride was a bit "clunky". It seemed to pick up bumps in the road in a way you could both hear the car clunk and feel it. Otherwise the suspension and ride were nice.
Strange feeling of turning into corners - seemed over-responsive, like a bicycle whose front forks have been bent back (don't ask how I know). As soon as I began to turn the wheel it was sharp into a turn already.
Tilt steering did not tilt downward as much as I like, and as far down as I had it, the steering wheel obscured the analog speedomoter and tach. Those aren't necessary because there's a center digital version, but still, kind of annoying.
Cowl under front end means a lot of curb scraping. It's lower than my Civic which catches stuff all the time.
Gas fill on wrong side of car (this is actually 99% of a dealbreaker for me!)

Pros:
The cabin at window height felt roomy. I didn't have room to spread my knees width-wise, but the length was OK (I'm 5'3" so leg room is not an issue for me!).
I liked the Black/White interior fabric color scheme.
I was very comfortable driving, where the armrest was, where the shifter was, where everything was, and that I could reach everything on the center console.
Ride was generally smooth and responsive (though over-responsive for turning).
CD Player! Yes, I'm tech savvy, but I didn't want to put ALL of my CDs on drives (would take years!) so sometimes I still like to just grab an old CD I've not yet imported into my computer and pop it in.

Mazda 3:

Cons:
Felt smaller inside - less spacious than the Cruze (and maybe even my Civic) - roof felt closer to my head, windows closer to me, etc. I felt like I was closer to the outside world as well. I didn't feel cramped, but I felt "closed in" a little more than the Cruze (though could spread my knees). The leg area, while long enough for my short legs, was definitely small.
Interior design was lackluster. Not as nice as the Cruze and everything was very "Plastic-y". The layout of a center screen with a control down by the hand brake is a new and very different design to me so that would take some getting used to. But this added to the "basic" feel. In some way, I expected a "sports car cockpit" based on what I'd read (and that may have been true with the base 2015 models with the trim line that's been discontinued). It was under-whelming.
Noise. I noticed this immediately. I saw a poll on a forum (not sure if this one or another) and that was the number 1 complaint. The Cruze was by no means silent, and at this point in its life my Civic screams like a banshee when I put it in Park! So anything would be less noise than what I have now. But there's this low frequency road noise component like the floor is acting as a resonator that brings up the overall ambient noise level. It would mean turning up my CDs (but wait!) louder :)
Trunk is smaller, but still plenty of space, probably as much as my Civic.
No CD player :)
No rear charger outlets.
Fold down seats only accessible from trunk.
Brakes were over-responsive compared to every other vehicle I've ever driven. Barely touched them and almost came to a screeching halt. I think the Traction Control or ABS kicked on at one point.
Finally - and I'll come back to this - push button start...

Pros:
More cool colors, models, and packages from which to choose.
WAY more power than the Cruze. It accelerated better than my Civic (which is better than the Cruze).
Ride was good - equal to the Cruze - where the Cruze was clunky, the Mazda was noisy. The handling overall was better. IOW, the Mazda was a better driving car for me.
On that note - it's more "fun" to drive!
Electronics: HD radio, backup camera - with my pricing I might be able to get into the bllndspot and rear crosstraffic warnings, which I think are worth spending money on as opposed to paying more for the special paint job available on the Cruze.
While I wasn't as comfortable with my arms in this car, the seat was way more comfortable.
Gas mileage wins over Cruze.
Safety rating wins over Cruze.
Gas fill on correct side of vehicle.

Concerns:

The modern stuff. It's nice to have it, but when it breaks, you're out. No key - what happens when the battery in the fob runs dead? I guess I have to keep a spare or three in the car itself. Touchscreen - how long is it going to last? How much toll is sitting in the hot sun, and the constant heating up and cooling down of outdoor temperatures and interior condensation before that screen dies? How tough is it?

No CD, OK - because it's got USB, bluetooth, audio jack (so does the Cruze) and HD radio and so on. That's not a major concern but most of this depends on that touch screen - there's no LCD type screen that's proven itself for longer IME. It's got Pandora as well. But I suppose you'd have to pay for some kind of streaming on that, no?

I think this is where cars are going - I hear the Sonic is loaded with tech features like this - but is this technology too new still (even though it's been out a while)?

How long before that ignition button wears out?

I guess I'm concerned that when this stuff goes out, it will be "electronics" and somehow not covered by the lifetime warranty the dealer offers (I'll check of course) and cost a way more than say the alternator when it's time to replace that.

The new Recall - they had models on the lot they couldn't sell until they addressed the recall. Ignition switch (button) and fuel issue (fire).

Service record? The Cruze isn't great, but I've not seen a lot on the Mazdas in general.

The car I drove had one with tan/white interior, which I actually liked more than the black. But will that white get dirty too soon?

FWIW, this is going to be primarily a daily driver - back and forth to work, kids back and forth to school, out for errands, etc. Mostly metropolitan area (with too much traffic) from city to suburbia, traffic, stop and go, etc. Some of that is on interstates, but not long haul. Oh, the Cruze, despite the name, doesn't have Cruise Control, which I do use a lot on our local insterstates whenever possible. The Cruze really concerns me with its lack of power - getting onto the interstate, passing, and handling in traffic - no sprinting ahead of the slow truck to cut over - gonna just have to let them pass me.

The snug cabin of the Mazda3 feels a little suffocating, even for my diminutive stature - but the sight lines were WAY better than the Cruze. SOme of this could be a factor of my just going with a basic seat positioning - both have tilt and telescoping steering column, angle seat back, forward/rear move seat, and raise/lower seat positions. It's possible I could have felt like the roof was lower in the Mazda because I was also "sitting higher" the way I had the seat.

Still, I felt very "snug" in that car. That might be a concern long drives - IOW, the Cruze would definitely be a more comfy long-trip car, but we don't do that many long trips really (and would just tough it out until we get another vehicle for that).

Finally, there's this:

Cruze: Family Man Car. Dadmobile. Mature, Responsible, Adult. Not sporty, not fun, plain jane, but respectable.

Mazda 3: As close as I'm ever going to get to a Mid-Life Crisis Sports Car (seriously). Fun, sporty, tech friendly, maybe a little "edgier" while still being fairly conservative.

So kinda, maybe the Cruze is the car the responsible dad in me should buy, but the Mazda3 is the car the man who's still desperately clinging to his freewheeling lifestyle wants to buy (i know, sad that it's a Mazda3 that represents this for me!).

I know people here bought one most likely.

Was your decision the right one? What else did you consider? Am I missing anything major (recalls, service, longevity, other cars)?

If I get a Cruze, it's going to have to have more powerful engine.

If I get a Mazda3, it's not perfect, but good enough - beggars can't be choosers, and I'd be very happy with it, but I am concerned about the road noise and electronics longevity. It's about as roomy as my Civic - maybe a little less (but you can't adjust the seat up in my Civic) but that's my one other big drawback.

Last edited:
It'd be easier for us to give advice for topics relating to ambient temps, intense UV rays, and detrimental effects they may cause to a car's electronics, interior, exterior, etc if your location was a bit more specific. Here in San Diego, I consider it mandatory to have at least a windshield/dash cover which can reduce interior temps by a good amount. The added bonus is that it protects the NAV screen from direct sunlight and its surface temperature-raising abilities.
Honestly, the Cruze reliability is many tiers below that of the Mazda. Consumer Reports magazine rated Mazda #2 out of almost all companies selling vehicles in the US. Only Lexus is above it. I think Honda came in 8th. Chevrolet came in far down the list.
Also, only Mazda had 2 of its models in Car & Driver magazine's top 10 vehicles for under $80,000 for 2015. What's amazing is that Mazda is one of the smallest manufacturers. In comparison tests, the Mazda 3, 6, CX5, and CX3 all trounced the competition in their respective classes - better handling, fuel economy, and ergonomics than them all.

Thanks for the response Concept.

Hampton Roads is in Southeastern Virginia - Virginia Beach and Norfolk environs (though near the Atlantic, I'm far enough inland where salt air isn't an issue).

I got to thinking about interior color last night - and how hot black versus white (or almond) would get merely to the touch in the summer, the making some kind of windshield protector a necessity (front and maybe back as well?).

At work, I'm able to park in a covered concrete garage, so it's away from the elements during the day (unless you consider college students and other car doors "elements"!).

In the driveway, we get morning sun that would come through the rear window. Afternoon and evening sun are blocked by trees and the house itself.

I'm beginning to think an interior windshield shade would be a wise investment no matter what. As you say - mandatory.

Daytime highs in the summer here are in the 90s, reaching into the 100s. Overnight lows in the winter are below freezing, with 20s being about as cold as it ever gets except for freak occasions. We just had our first cold snap of the year (mid-October) and there were frost on my cars in the morning, though it didn't go below about 38 overnight.

I guess maybe I should be looking into how much a windshield shade would mitigate external temperature swings and which would be the best type for doing so.

I've been poking around forums and I noticed a lot of people talked about how Mazda was entrenched in some areas but virtually non-existent in others - ours is the latter. We only have 3 dealerships locally (compared to easily 25+ Chevy dealerships). My father has worked for Chevrolet for years, and I seemed to find more info in cursory searches online about the Chevy's (plus my dad's experience with them as a service manager) but I knew their reliability was pulling them down in a lot of rankings. I just didn't see as much, or have heard as much, regarding Mazdas specifically or in general. I can't even remember seeing much in the way of TV commercials!

After my test drives yesterday, the more I pondered it, and read online, the Cruze's woeful lack of power - which seems present even in the 1.4 turbo (not to mention decreased mileage on top of that) means the Mazda 3 is the only choice for me now. I have "nit-picks" about the Mazda, but that's going to be true of any car really.

I also read that some of the road noise in the Mazda 3 could be negated by a different choice of tire than stock. I'll have to wear out the stock tires before upgrading, but at least I know that's something to be looking for when the time comes.

I think all this means is, should I pick up the Mazda3, I'll need to also need to be on top of babying it as much as possible to increase it's longevity. Maybe that's my excuse for cleaning out the garage and garage-keeping it. As I really should with anything that's an investment like this (considering 1 is as much investment as I'm going to be able to make).

Steve

Last edited:
Yes, especially if you get the deep crystal blue. Making sure you have garage space is a prerequisite for new car ownership if you already have a garage.

the radios in the new 3's are wonky looking and acting, the bluetooth works great in my dad's 2014 6 which uses same bluetooth hardware. the usb is funky and starts on the same songs everytime. the interior quality on the 3 is far above the other 2 on your list to me. its well laid out and comfortable. honda's have weak paint and cheap interiors and tend to have major paint issues very young in age. engine wise they are decently reliable but honda typically wont let you check your trans fluid on automatics and this can lead to issues and extra cost down the road, i have seen it too many times. a friend has a 2012 civic and it feels and drives cheap. my 08 3 feels more powerful more refined, rides and handles better. the seats are more supportive and the gauges are not weird. my other friend had a rental cruze and it felt decent seat wise but cheap on the plastics, it was too slow to get out of its own way and looked like a typical cheap chevy that has not changed much since 2005. but the choice is ultimately yours and yours alone. the 3 wins most head to head comparisons it is in. i had an 03 mazda protege 5 that got totaled and i got an 08 3 because of how good the protege was and after 7 months i am very pleased with my decision.

Disclaimer: I'm able to get employee pricing, and have the choice of Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Mazda. So I'm not looking at anything else really. Golf (or some VW) did really well in ratings, but given their recent debacle and that it's outside of my sphere, I'm not considering it.

My first gut reaction is, the Cruze doesn't belong on that list being that it is a Chevy and I don't trust the long term reliability of any GM product. Whether it is a "world car" platform or not.

I try and keep my cars for 8 years or more, and my past GM experience for long term reliability is not as good as Honda and Toyota. I've never had a Subaru, so I can't talk about that. I did have a USA Ford made Mazda 626 in the past and that was bad news, too. Although, I've had pretty good luck with Fords.

I'm betting on my Japanese made Mazda being equal to Honda in reliability.

So far, I've never had any car as reliable as a Toyota, though.

Thanks everyone.

I got the 3 two days ago!

I'm in love.

Funny - my 97 Civic is still actually quieter driving!

First day to work - stuck in mad 1.5 hour traffic (where you have to stay in 1 lane) so I didn't really get to enjoy it.

But since then I've been able to get out on the road in all kinds of various conditions and I am EXTREMELY happy with the performance.

Coming from the 97 Civic, all of the electronics are wonderful - hands-free calling is a blessing. Haven't gotten to play with the USB yet for songs, but I gotta say just having HD radio is great - I found some additional stations in our area that I couldn't get before that are way better than the terrestrial radio stations. Sound system is not "awesome" or anything, but I didn't expect it to be. I also have an ear problem that just started with the weather change when I went to pick it up so I really haven't had a chance to listen critically and adjust settings, but my son liked the bottom end.

Now that I've had a chance to get in and adjust the seats I feel like there's actually a lot more room than when I initially test drove (as much or more than the Cruze).

I'm hoping the headliner is a type that won't come down!!!

Great choice. FYI, my 2015 Mazda 3 replaced my 2005 Honda Accord. It was a top of the line model with touch screen navigation. I've had it for over 10 years and 274,000 miles and the changes in weather, temperatures, summer sun, and freezing winter temps the screen had no issues at all. This was a 10 year old screen with 10 year old technology. I'm sure, or hope, that screens now are much better so don't worry about the longevity of the screen. Oh, I was too lazy to clean out our garage so the car was always parked in our driveway with no sun shield or tinted windows.

The Nav screen in the 3 is not as shielded as the one you had in your Honda. I once left my 3 out in the sun on a 95 degree F day for a bit over an hour. When I started up the car, the screen was all blue. After I arrived at home I shut off and restarted the engine. The screen came back to life.

My point is that you should never expose electronics to direct sunlight when ambient temps are that high or higher. Higher-positioned NAV screens are safer for the driver, but they should be shielded when exposed to the intense rays of the sun.

Yeah, driving today, in 67 degree (f) exterior temperature, we had the A/C on because the sun streaming in was so hot. So I felt the back of the display it was soaking up rays - pretty hot. So I can imagine how it would react on one of our summer 90+ days (for months at a time). Gonna get a shield tomorrow. Until I get space in the garage, at least that will help while in the driveway and parking lots when I'm there more than a few minutes. Can't do anything during driving of course, but at least at work it's a covered garage.

Wow, that's interesting. One of our other cars is a 2014 Mercedes CLA250 and if you've ever seen the interior you'll see that it has a screen very similar to the one in our Mazda 3 and like my Mazda it also has an all black interior and I've had it for exactly 2 years now (bought it in late October, 2013) and I never noticed any issues due to temperature... we've driven it to Florida twice in August and June. I guess the screen in the Mercedes is better shielded. Good to know.

The Mercedes CLA (2014), according to Consumer reports is rated much worse than average for reliability. Keep an eye out for the following problem areas:
Electrical
Body integrity (squeaks, rattles, etc)
Power equipment
Audio system

Keep in mind that it's not necessarily constant heat that damages electronic hardware; it's more often cyclical temperature swings - the greater the variance, the greater the stresses upon the components that populate the circuit boards, and the greater the chance that some will fail.

Yeah, thanks for the report. Without getting into a lengthy discussion of opinions. preferences, subjective qualities, different people buy different cars for different reasons. I'm no spring chicken and I've owned 9 vehicles and the Mercedes is the only non-Japanese brand I've ever bought. Despite what Consumer Reports, or any one else for that matter, says my CLA has been the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. That's not to say any of my other vehicles weren't good but they are/were good for different reason. I don't know how long CR had their CLA but I have almost 30,000 miles on mine in 2 years and so far it's been flawless. Will it be the most reliable car I've ever owned? No.. and I don't expect it to be. Is the maintenance and repair cost going to be a lot more than my other cars? Yes. I knew that going in and I accept that. I'm at a point in my life where I don't have to always go for the lowest cost option. Sorry for getting a little defensive but i defend all my car purchases and for different reasons. I know I don't have to defend my purchase to anyone so I'll just stop right there. But thanks for the heads up on my CLA.

Yel,
I had to mention that because after reading your post, others may get the impression that the CLAs are typically more reliable than Mazdas. Of course, in any 10 year period, most Japanese vehicles are far less expensive to own, even disregarding the purchase price. Our 10 year old Lexus has not had one issue - truly the most reliable large vehicle we have ever had.
But really, I did the same thing you did, but 14 years ago. I bought a new 2001 Corvette coupe. Consumer reports rated its predecessors' reliability as worse than average. I felt that I had no choice because the Corvette had no direct competition, and I wanted a street starship so to speak.
Anyway, I learned the hard way that the good looks and high performance weren't worth the expenditures that popped up every 2 years on a consistent basis. Now I warn others not to make the same mistake I did.

I didn't get my CLA for its reliability history, or lack of. As mentioned before I've had my 2005 Accord for 10 years and 274,000 trouble free miles. I've also had a 1994 Toyota pickup for nearly 300,000 miles before selling it so I can appreciate reliable vehicles but they, along with some of my other cars (Celica, Eclipse, Protege5, RAV4, Datsun 210) are just boring in my opinion. Others my disagree but that's just me. I can appreciate reliability (which is why I chose my 2015 Mazda 3 as my daily driver) but I can also appreciate (and fortunately afford) pure pleasure which is why I got the CLA as my "weekend driver". BTW, as mentioned also my CLA has been trouble free for 2 years and 30,000 miles. As soon as it starts giving me problems I have no problems getting rid of it and getting something else.

I think the real question would be in regards to owning an uninspiring pseudo sport lux sedan as a weekend car.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

YelPro, i do have to agree with the others here. the cla 250 is not very well rated, and while your experience maybe better than others that does not make it a good car. the car is slovenly especially for its rated power and price and mercedes has not been known for its reliability as of late and it is by no means a sports car. the speed 3 outclasses it as well as the focus st and subaru wrx/sti and they all cost less and have better track records in terms of reliability. yes the germans are good at making a cheaply built car look and feel upmarket but when you do some digging you find the real car lying under that nice interior is an unreliable poorly built car that has too many 0's at the end of the price tag. dfor my personal uses i will take a more reliable car i can get a stick shift in and go take out and have fun in but not have to pour money into just because i drove it. thats why i like mazdas they are well built and handle great and the speed ones have plenty of get up and go without the "german" engineering which is just hiding faults with a leather interior.

but it is your life and your choice to make so i cannot say anything to you about being stupid or the like as you are an adult who can make choices all your own. all i am going to say is good luck.

Last edited:
Back