looking to buy a cx-5. is AWD worth the money?

So, if I get stuck in snow by myself, I could be there in -30 weather for hours.
For me, AWD is a must and it is a safety matter.

AWD is one small tool in your winter motorists toolkit. The most important tool is the one sitting in the drivers seat. Having AWD does not prevent flat tires or other mechanical failures that could leave you stranded in life threatening weather. Additionally, AWD does not prevent you from getting stuck. Slide off a snowy road into the gutter and, chances are you will be stuck so well that AWD will not even come close to getting you out.

The bottom line is, when driving in remote areas, it is irresponsible to depend 100% on your vehicle (even if that vehicle is a Unimog). Whether on motorcycle or car, in remote areas, snow or desert heat, I am always prepared to survive at least a few days. In extreme winter this entails a little food and water and a mummy bag. In the summer heat it entails drinking water and sun protection.

I'm surprised Japan still has areas where one couldn't summon help via cell phone (although the American West still has vast areas without service). Even with cellphone service I would have minimum survival gear in the event the service is not useable. Do NOT rely on AWD to keep you alive. It's a very small advantage and, with the capabilities of most modern FWD drive cars, I would not consider AWD mandatory, even in N. Japan. I do hope you run full-on snow tires (AWD or not).

Totally aggree, I don't rely solely on my awd, that's for sure.
I get 4g reception anywhere I go to in japan, even in very remote areas. But a tow truck would still take hours to get to me.

Over here it is mandatory to run full winter tires(not all season BS), so I have Michellins X-ice all around.

At the end of the day, it's what makes you feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnipeg was a skating rink yesterday after some very light dusty snow compacted down into sheet ice.

Even with AWD I was sliding round all over the place - I wouldn't have gone driving in a 2WD yesterday for love nor money.

I have an AWD Mazda3(japan model only), and it has the exact same system as the cx5.
This system is AWESOME! It engages instantly, allows you to fully drift on snow/ice and the Traction control works great to stop any wheels that is slipping.

Of you get a lot of snow where you live, then go for the AWD. It not only offers better traction, but also more fun in the cold months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.5? Dude you should get that thing tuned, there is some overhead on the 2.5 motor. Do you plan to do any mods or just keeping it stock?

I do a fair amount of towing so I went for the AWD. If it weren't for that I might have just gone for FWD. If you know how to drive in the snow and ice and have reasonable tires FWD is fine most of the time.

The larger issue in winter is being able to stop with control, not go, AWD isn't going to help you with that...

Latest posts

Back