looking to buy a cx-5. is AWD worth the money?

The difference between the two vehicles would be minimal, the CX5 back wheels will drive within a half revolution of the fronts slipping, so fast you can not feel it or see it happening.

I can kick the back end out in my FWD Mazda3 going around the corner on slippery surface, so it doesn’t say much. Understeer or oversteer are not good measures. To test properly, you need two similar vehicles, one with full-time AWD (subaru forester perhaps), and compare to CX-5, then perform a series of tests.

Considering you were the one who posted in the first place, with no real-world experience of the CX-5 at all, I look forward to you doing the tests and hearing your results.

The difference between the two vehicles would be minimal, the CX5 back wheels will drive within a half revolution of the fronts slipping, so fast you can not feel it or see it happening.

The reason I came to this forum is actually i'm contemplating upgrading from my mazda3 to the CX-5 for more space, so I'm definitely not a hater of the CX-5, au contraire, i like it quite a lot. Comments like yours help me to get a better idea of how the AWD model handles itself in various conditions.

I still have some reservations about the AWD system, though, and the fact that it permits half a wheel spin is more than a full-time system will allow, as that is enough to break the front end loose. Granted, it likely will not be an issue in 99% of my driving scenario.

On to more research!

I can kick the back end out in my FWD Mazda3 going around the corner on slippery surface, so it doesn’t say much. Understeer or oversteer are not good measures. To test properly, you need two similar vehicles, one with full-time AWD (subaru forester perhaps), and compare to CX-5, then perform a series of tests.

I tried this (after reading this post) and I was able to 'kick the back end out' on my CX-5 in a snow storm. At first it would not do it, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal hard and fast I got the rear end to break traction and swing out. Not sure what that means, but you can get oversteer in a CX-5, if the conditions are right and you want to.

To the OP, I live in Richmond BC just under Vancouver, and I can tell you that AWD is definitely not needed here.
Its a matter of preference. And lets be honest, how often does it really snow here in lower mainland? Like once or twice a year?

AWD and all season tires won't get you anywhere if we get a dump of snow in Vancouver. You 'might' be lucky if it's light snow. The ideal setup would be AWD and Snow tires.
Believe me, I came from the Suby family, and I had AWD and all season tires. One night I got off work at 3am and it snowed like crazy. I was lucky to be able to make it home that morning. My car slid through an intersection while stopping for a red and thank god no other vehicles were there.

So in the end, it's comes to what you want vs what you need. Needless to say, I bought the AWD GS model cause I wanted it lol. Rain is reality in lower mainland. I don't like losing my traction at every traffic light in the rain.

Kedis: I'm not going to argue about snow tires either, but, my GLK 350 4Matic has climbed some pretty decent hills after a snow dump here in WV - with all season tires. In 2004, I got caught in an ice storm in KY while driving a Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD, and, that car handled it just fine on all season tires.

Regards:
Oldengineer

I went back and forth, back and forth, but, in the end I decided AWD wasn't worth the extra $$$ and the couple less miles per gallon. If it's so bad that FWD isn't good enough, then I shouldn't be out. I had a couple bad mornings this Winter already, and my FWD Touring CX-5 did just fine.

I'm not using snow tires, I have Goodyear Assurance ComfortTreads that seem to do pretty well in the snow, slush and yuck.

Last edited:
Worcester Massachusetts has literally got more total snow accumulation than any other place in this whole country with a population over 100k. I drive 95 miles round trip every day with a FWD CX5. If I had to do it again I would still get the FWD as I got everywhere I needed to and I have the OEM all seasons with 45,000 miles on them, which surprisingly are still ok in this snow. Get the FWD and if you have reservations still get some good snow tires. I believe this SUV is almost unstoppable even with FWD. It might be the best handling 2WD vehicle I've driven to date in the snow.

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if it was actually far less than half a rev slip.

You're right - it's far less than half a revolution, more like a few degrees. I don't know where that rumor got started. The amount of slip is dependent upon whatever resolution the wheel speed sensors have and modern wheel speed sensors have been increasing in resolution since they were introduced 30 years (or so) ago.

I have an AWD Mazda3(japan model only), and it has the exact same system as the cx5.
This system is AWESOME! It engages instantly, allows you to fully drift on snow/ice and the Traction control works great to stop any wheels that is slipping.

Of you get a lot of snow where you live, then go for the AWD. It not only offers better traction, but also more fun in the cold months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worcester Massachusetts has literally got more total snow accumulation than any other place in this whole country with a population over 100k. I drive 95 miles round trip every day with a FWD CX5. If I had to do it again I would still get the FWD as I got everywhere I needed to and I have the OEM all seasons with 45,000 miles on them, which surprisingly are still ok in this snow. Get the FWD and if you have reservations still get some good snow tires. I believe this SUV is almost unstoppable even with FWD. It might be the best handling 2WD vehicle I've driven to date in the snow.

I appreciate your post very much. I live in an area that gets some snow but not very much (except for this week, geez). Nashville gets a little snow every year, with a week or two of heavier snow/ice every 3-4 years. Given the level of winter precipitation we typically get AWD might be a good idea, or might be overkill. I have wondered how well the FWD would operate in the snow and now I have a better idea.

I live in Florida and have a CX5 FWD and sorely miss my AWD Subaru. I couldn't believe how much better AWD is on rain soaked roads. I feel it is a definitely a safety feature.ed

I live in Florida and have a CX5 FWD and sorely miss my AWD Subaru. I couldn't believe how much better AWD is on rain soaked roads. I feel it is a definitely a safety feature.ed
How so? Can you give examples of when/how you feel AWD might make you safer?

How so? Can you give examples of when/how you feel AWD might make you safer?

Pulling across traffic to make a left turn on a multi-lane highway with limited visibility.
You don't see cars coming, so you start out across the road.
As soon as you've started moving across the lanes of traffic, from your left, a car traveling at 2X the speed limit comes around the blind turn. He will hit you if you don't get out of the way in 2 seconds.

With FWD you floor it, traction control kicks in, but you don't accelerate very quickly. With AWD, you floor it and you safely get out of the way.

The above case only applies to highways with very limited visibility. If the driver starts counting on AWD to help him get off the line quickly and into small gaps in traffic, he's gonna have a bad time.

Yes, it's "worth" it (key word "worth, as it relates to net cost). Higher resale value/lower depreciation at the end of normal ownership period in CA makes it worth it for mountain travelers here. Depreciation being the largest single automotive cost factor sb considered.

I think you've nailed it piotrek91.

I think AWD is mostly a convenience feature and assuming it will keep you safer is more often than not a recipe for disaster. That is, except for the rare cases where a bit more acceleration traction can get you out of trouble.

In my 20+ years of driving I've never been in such a situation, but I guess it could happen...

I live in the north of japan, and I often drive by myself. I teach in very remote areas
This places are dead quiet, and next car could take hours to drive past.

So, if I get stuck in snow by myself, I could be there in -30 weather for hours.
For me, AWD is a must and it is a safety matter

Thank you!
I love the fact I can drive a cool hatchback in Japan anytime of the year.

I dont get why the USA misses out on so many models. It is the biggest car market in the world after all.

Back