Looking for a performance boost for my P5 Auto

How is lighter not adding performance? It goes faster, turns better and gets more mpg right? Smells like performance to me. Loosing weight is same as adding power to compensate for heavier s***. The only way lighter isn't a performance enhancement is in crashes.....don't crash.

Best thing you can do for performance is a header for NA that deletes the precat. I highly recommend a thunder header if you can get one..... NO idea how people are install headers on this car but whatever works.

However with that said the best bang for buck is turbo.

How is lighter not adding performance? It goes faster, turns better and gets more mpg right? Smells like performance to me. Loosing weight is same as adding power to compensate for heavier s***. The only way lighter isn't a performance enhancement is in crashes.....don't crash.

+1 my Honda weighs a lil under 2200 lbs and only has 90 hp plus whatever gains from the exhaust but, it will outrun my mp3 with an intake especially above 80. And it gets 34 mpg with a bad o2 sensor and I run the piss out of it. Light weight is the way to go. For my guesstimates every 100 lbs is equal to about 10 hp

+1 my Honda weighs a lil under 2200 lbs and only has 90 hp plus whatever gains from the exhaust but, it will outrun my mp3 with an intake especially above 80. And it gets 34 mpg with a bad o2 sensor and I run the piss out of it. Light weight is the way to go. For my guesstimates every 100 lbs is equal to about 10 hp

Totally the way to go XD

Well, Silver...

My car is anything but quiet, so I do not recommend a 2.5" megan cat back system. I would go with RB from the reports here on the forum. Nice agressive sound.

Although it is not quite, I have increased my gas mileage quite a bit, and you are familiar with my thread. My P5 runs better than it ever has since my upgrades. Shoot, you can sell a suspension system as better gas mileage too because you're lower to the ground. LOL! Anyway, coils, plugs, and wires. I went with NGK irridium plugs and stock coils and wires.

I will say I am in my late 30's and am looking to improve my car tastefully not as I may have done when in my 20's, I am sure if I start to like it more and get the bug I may jump into some of the more advance mods but at this time I am just concentrating on a bit more output and mileage.

LOL! I've always been a hobbiest myself. I'm in my 30's too, and the bug bit me again pretty quickly. I also tend to obsess a little when I want something a certain way. I haven't worked on imports in almost 12 years until now, but I like it just the way I used to. Lots of positive comments when I'm driving too. Some guy in a brand new Camero SS pulled up next to me and complimented my P5. That was pretty cool!

Why when flames give 100?

But seriously what it does is help with the areodynamics which gives an increase in gas mileage

Sounds good, I will be looking to go with a header (once I learn what is a quality piece for this engine) and a high flow cat (Magnaflow direct fit) and the RacingBeat cat back. I will also go with coil overs but they will wait as the suspension is tight on the car now so no need to replace at this time, I will also be looking to get either the RX8 rims or MS3 2010 rims whichever I find when the money is ready :) oh and an Injen CAI will round this off. I will then assess where I am at that point as to the next direction of mods but I know I may move to brakes :)

Well, I have no experience with this particular auto trans, but...shimming the accumulators usually only takes a couple hours, can be done from under the car, and will increase your straight line performance. If you're curious as to what it entails, just google it. I've done it on a few Volvo/Toyota transmissions with excellent results, and it pretty much only costs you your time (and you might have to buy about 9 inches worth of all-thread or bolts with the heads cut off).

Bigger rims will hurt performance
I would have to say that depends on the rim's width/weight vs. oem rims and if the tire is similar in width & OD & weight to oem. With the right combo it changes nothing except diameter of wheel and sidewall height of the tire.

I would have to say that depends on the rim's width/weight vs. oem rims and if the tire is similar in width & OD & weight to oem. With the right combo it changes nothing except diameter of wheel and sidewall height of the tire.

x2 there. It does depend on how you do it, but I just put 18's on, but went with a waaayyy skinnier side wall. The diameter is about 1-2mm taller than my stockers with a 50 series side wall. No hinderance with my performance. In fact I went from a 205 series to a 215 series, so I have more tire on the ground now too.

Back