Looking for a performance boost for my P5 Auto

Silverfox

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
As the title states I am looking for a way to get just a bit more performance out of my P5 Auto without breaking the bank or killing my gas mileage, if anything I would like to improve the mileage as I don't really find it to be the best on the hwy atm.

Thanks for any idea's guys.

Sean

air intake is the simplest way that i know. Buying one of those ebay ones work and are fairly cheap. When your looking at the intakes avoid any turbonators that pop up in your search.

Mtx swap will net around 20-30 whp and about 3-4 mpg then you can run the mp3 ecu for more power and gas mileage

Either lose the auto nothing but mpg and power robbery. Or sell it and buy a Honda ;)

Tweety, please refrain from posting your negative opinion every single chance you get.

Some people don't have the interest, knowledge or money required to swap out their tranny, or have other motives for why they purchased an auto in the first place.

Silver, the best thing you can do is lighten the car. Remove things that are not important to you, like seats, spare tire...

Weight is going to be the biggest enemy in performance.

After that, feel free to look at intakes, manifolds, exhausts, plugs, etc etc etc

How is it negative? The manuals in our cars don't lose as much power and get better gas mileage. And a Honda will get better gas mileage than a protege stock for stock. If you want more power and mpg that's simply the best way to go. Just like if you want power best thing to do is turbo but money becomes a factor with that so not many people do it

Fact isn't opinion

the auto suffers and the fun factor is low...you can safely turbo you auto, beef up the tranny with some lentech goodies,uis a rrfpr from begi, fm o2 mod, stay at 6 psi...and have a blast!...not cheap though...
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,388
  • mahk11.jpg
    mahk11.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 994
How is it negative? The manuals in our cars don't lose as much power and get better gas mileage. And a Honda will get better gas mileage than a protege stock for stock. If you want more power and mpg that's simply the best way to go. Just like if you want power best thing to do is turbo but money becomes a factor with that so not many people do it

Fact isn't opinion

^^^^ This

the auto suffers and the fun factor is low...you can safely turbo you auto, beef up the tranny with some lentech goodies,uis a rrfpr from begi, fm o2 mod, stay at 6 psi...and have a blast!...not cheap though...
attachment.php
attachment.php

I think im in love.

attachment.php
i was in love once too! she's still turbo'd but at 160k miles and 10 ne winters she slowly slipping away...but she still can oput a smile on my face!!!

Attachments

• under the hood large.jpg
    under the hood large.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,120
  • P1010193.JPG
    P1010193.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 663
  • PICT5472[2].jpg
    PICT5472[2].jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 666
  • valve cover cut.jpg
    valve cover cut.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 662
WOW that is a very nice ride you have there Bazooca, I am not looking to go anywhere near that as I am just looking to gain a small bit (nothing special) and see if I can get a little better fuel mileage out of it at the same time. I have auto for the wife as she is the primary on the car and I am not looking to make it alll loud. I am not overly happy with the Hwy mileage as it just seams to burn threw the fuel far to fast for a 4 cylinder car :( I will look at doing the Injen cai and a Magnaflow catback for now and see where that goes. I found only 1 header for this car, would going this route will I then add a high flow cat after the header and before the cat back?

Thanks guys.

Sean

If you don't want it to be loud racing be is pretty quite. How is your alignment? You should be able to get at least 28 mpg on highway with an auto

If you don't want it to be loud racing be is pretty quite. How is your alignment? You should be able to get at least 28 mpg on highway with an auto

as of now the alignment and suspension are tight and on the money, I replaced all my bushings and front lower control arms. I currently have 206000km on the car and it runs like new with no noise what so ever while driving. As of now I can last a week on $20 for going to work and back which I am very happy with, I just find that when I go on the hwy it goes threw the fuel much faster then I would like. That's why I am thinking with some small performance upgrades the extra efficiency of adding these will go along way to it running better threwout the rpm range and while on the hwy.

i think you be better of as tweety say's with the racing beat cat back....i get (as you can see below) avg 26+ mpg that's a combination 25 around town and 75 highway

Last edited:
bazooka joe:5919663 said:
i think you be better of as tweety say's with the racing beat cat back....i get (as you can see below) avg 26+ mpg that's a combination 25 around town and 75 highway
That's some damn good gas mileage too bad you only drive in town

Not really sure where to find these things here (Montreal, Canada) but from what I have found so far the Magnaflow cat-back is around $400 where the Racingbeat comes in closer to $700, I have no clue on header or cat as I think the cat is currently part of the manifold if I recall.

Back