Just arrived - 2017 GT AWD Eternal Blue

Admit it, you miss the manual, at least a little bit. I always liked the Accord V6 manuals.
V6 with a manual is the best! My 2001.5 VW Passat GLX is in this configuration too!

Admit it, you miss the manual, at least a little bit. I always liked the Accord V6 manuals.

I've had the Honda for 4yrs and it's been fun but I'm finally ready after ~42yrs of driving a stick! I'll have my street bike to satisfy my shifting needs(usa)

Last edited:
Make sure to turn on your oil life monitor by setting up your "Oil Change" maintenance schedule to "Flexible"

YRW - I've changed it to Flexible but the gauge still says 'service interval' (or something similar) at 6k miles. Is it supposed to say 'oil life remaining' on this gauge?

Last edited:
YRW - I've changed it to Flexible but the gauge still says 'service interval' (or something similar) at 6k miles. Is it supposed to say 'oil life remaining' on this gauge?
For 2017 CX-5 the instrument cluster display and Maintenance Monitor are different from my 2016's. Your Maintenance Monitor view in instrument cluster is displaying the "Scheduled" setting from Maintenance Monitor, not the "Oil Change" setting.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_9930.PNGIMG_9932.PNG

Make sure you check oil when your engine is hot. Level will be a little lower when it's cold. And yes, you might have some consumption until the engine gets broken in.

Why would you check the oil when hot? If anything it will read higher when cold as more of the oil in the head and crankcase has had time to run down into the pan.

Why would you check the oil when hot? If anything it will read higher when cold as more of the oil in the head and crankcase has had time to run down into the pan.
There's a slight expansion when hot, gives you a truer reading of how close you are to the full mark. Waiting 10 minutes or so will allow plenty of time for all the oil to run down.

There's a slight expansion when hot, gives you a truer reading of how close you are to the full mark. Waiting 10 minutes or so will allow plenty of time for all the oil to run down.

Exactly, and checking when the engine is cold means even more oil has run down into the pan, which will yield a higher reading.

Per Mazda service manual:
2013 - CX-5 - Engine
ENGINE OIL LEVEL INSPECTION [SKYACTIV-G 2.0]
1. Position the vehicle on level ground.
2. Warm up the engine.
3. Stop the engine and allow at least 5 min before continuing.
4. Remove the dipstick, wipe it cleanly, and reinstall it fully.
5. Remove the dipstick and verify that the oil level is between the F and L marks on the dipstick.
If the oil level is below or near the L mark, add engine oil. (See ENGINE OIL
REPLACEMENT [SKYACTIV-G 2.0].)
If the oil level is above the F mark, penetration of fuel into the engine oil can
be considered. Replace the engine oil. (See ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT
[SKYACTIV-G 2.0].)
6. Insert the oil level gauge completely until it attaches to the cylinder head cover

Do what you want, makes no difference to me.
By the way, the same set of instructions are in your owners manual.....

Last edited:
Picked it up Friday. Traded in my '14 V6 6MT Accord Coupe.

Love the car and the color - it looks so much better in person than in color guide. Dealer threw in illuminated door sills, all weather floor mats, chrome bumper protector, and fancy valve stem caps. We had planned on waiting until y/e but he gave a such great price on my trade that I basically got what I would have sold it for privately which was effectively retail with the tax effect. He also gave 20% off on the rubber cargo mat and retractable cargo cover. We thought we wanted the roof rails since our friends just installed them on their new Silver CX5 and they looked great. The dealer set them on top of our car so my wife could see what it looked like but it seemed a bit too blingy with the Eternal Blue so we didn't get it.

We like everything about the car - looks, fit and finish, quietness, and ride quality. It rides smoother than my Honda which had 18" wheels. The power is fine except when you hit a steep hill it struggles slightly but it's more than adequate.

I checked the oil level today and it was down maybe 1/8th on dipstick so I topped off with M1 0W-20. It had 62 miles when we bought it and has 282 now. Am hoping the factory just didn't top it off as I'm not aware of oil consumption on these engines? Will keep an eye on it though.

This is our 8th Mazda and all them have been trouble free so we are hoping this will keep up the tradition!

Will post pics soon..

Here they are:

View attachment 217028View attachment 217029

Last edited:
Exactly, and checking when the engine is cold means even more oil has run down into the pan, which will yield a higher reading.
I agree with you. I've tried measuring the oil level at hot engine 10 minutes after the engine off, and measuring cold engine the first thing in the morning for many vehicles; the results are always the oil level is higher when cold, although not by much. So there's no risk to top the oil off or overfill by measuring the oil level cold.

The benefit of doing it the first thing in the morning is you don't get burned by hot engine on some vehicles, and you don't even need to wipe the dipstick clean to measure the oil level as the oil level will show clearly on the dipstick at the first pull. :)

Will post pics soon..
Here they are:
attachment.php

attachment.php
Nice! It seems you didn't get front license plate bracket installed on your new CX-5? It looks much cleaner without front license plate I guess it's not required in Tennessee. Don't know what would the next owner do without the bracket if he's from the state requires front plate?

I was curious about this as well when I checked after yrwei52's suggestion -- mine was already on Flexible and says 7000. I do have fewer miles than you (maybe 80ish?). Maybe the number typically goes down after driving it a bit.

I was curious about this as well when I checked after yrwei52's suggestion -- mine was already on Flexible and says 7000. I do have fewer miles than you (maybe 80ish?). Maybe the number typically goes down after driving it a bit.
The display for Flexible Oil Change Interval from Maintenance Monitor on 2016(.5) CX-5 is showing how much the "%" of the oil life left, but for 2017 it's showing how much the mileage of the oil life left. Flexible OCI is up to the maximum of 12 months / 7,500 miles whichever comes first for 2017 (12 months / 10,000 miles for 2016(.5)), so each time you reset the Flexible OCI, it'll go back to 7,500 miles. Since you've been driving your new CX-5 for about 80 miles, the oil life goes down from 7,500 miles to 7,000 miles left. The mileage of oil life is not only related to how many actual miles you've been driven but also added other factors such as short drives or stop-and-go traffic to further reduce the oil life on mileage. If you have a 2016 CX-5, driving 80 miles won't change anything and it'd still show 100%. They definitely have different way of calculation between the two.

I still prefer showing % instead of miles for oil life left.

Nice! It seems you didn't get front license plate bracket installed on your new CX-5? It looks much cleaner without front license plate I guess it's not required in Tennessee. Don't know what would the next owner do without the bracket if he's from the state requires front plate?

If it is like the previous CX-5, it gets screwed right to the front bumper. There are already dimples to guide the bumper piercer...

Last edited:
Correct, and they've included the front plate holder as well.
So Mazda does give you the front plate bracket / holder just in case someone else needs it. At least your dealer didn't drill holes to install the plate bracket / holder like dealers here in Texas.

So Mazda does give you the front plate bracket / holder just in case someone else needs it. At least your dealer didn't drill holes to install the plate bracket / holder like dealers here in Texas.

If they don't just ask for one anyway

Back