Just arrived - 2017 GT AWD Eternal Blue

There's a slight expansion when hot, gives you a truer reading of how close you are to the full mark. Waiting 10 minutes or so will allow plenty of time for all the oil to run down.

This was the SOP for checking oil levels in my Z06. Yes, it would WILDLY fluctuate based on temp. 11.5 quarts though, and I am unsure how the dry-sump system played into it.

This was the SOP for checking oil levels in my Z06. Yes, it would WILDLY fluctuate based on temp. 11.5 quarts though, and I am unsure how the dry-sump system played into it.
Yep, Mazda says:
"[FONT=&quot]it is recommended to check the oil when the vehicle is at operating temperature because the reader will give a more accurate read of the amount of oil. When performed at a colder temperature the consistency of the oil may not be able to allow an accurate read. "
[/FONT]
I noticed slight expansion with lighter weight synthetics a few cars ago, almost like ATF. As long as it's between full and add I don't see what the big deal is or how you check it. Happy 4th all!

Yep, Mazda says:
"[FONT="]it is recommended to check the oil when the vehicle is at operating temperature because the reader will give a more accurate read of the amount of oil. When performed at a colder temperature the consistency of the oil may not be able to allow an accurate read. "
[/FONT]
I noticed slight expansion with lighter weight synthetics a few cars ago, almost like ATF. As long as it's between full and add I don't see what the big deal is or how you check it. Happy 4th all!

My method of checking oil has always been to INSURE that 5 quarts exactly go in (which is done, as that's all I give the dealership, and they used it all). Then I will check it cold first thing in the AM the next day. I will always check it cold like that. This way I have a mental base-line of where it "should be", and it is always within a few degrees of that temp, more or less.

Or you can check it at an exact temp, like my Z06. It gave oil temps exactly, so I always checked it at 180*F oil temp. The CX5 doesn't have that luxury, and I noted in my Z06 that at that temp, an oil-check at 5 minutes would be NOTABLY different from one at the 10 minutes. Again, maybe that's dry-sump. I dunno.

Point is...if der is oil on dat dar stick, and it ain't foamy...motor on!

Back