Is the 2.0 Protege engine an interference engine??

Tedster

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Please let me know soon... my timing belt just broke while i was driving. :( They will put in a new one tomorrow and wont know if all is well till after they put it in...
Thanks...

Last edited:
wait, who's going to say "not another thread about this question!!!"(uhm)

how many miles on your car when it broke?

ok, i'll ask the even more obvious question: did the engine sound like it ran into a guard rail when the belt broke? if its an interference engine, you would hear all sorts of hell-ish sounds coming from the engine - and i'm talking metal on metal sounds, like crashing into another car sounds.

its not an interference, for those that say it is, take the timing belt out and rotate your engine
i bet you wont hit anything

ive done it before, the piston doesnt hit the valves, so therefore non-interference

Last edited:
its not an interference, for those that say it is, take the cams out and rotate your engine
i bet you wont hit anything

ive done it before, the piston doesnt hit the valves, so therefore non-interference

of course they wont hit if you take the cams out - the cams hold the valves open.

a non-interference engine will not have any contact if the valves ever go full open with the pistons at top dead center.

No, no sounds at all... i was driving on the freeway, goin around 70 maybe. Just lost power, started slowing down, stepped on the gas, nothing. Pulled to the shoulder and finally the engine died. I tried restarting and it just sounded normal but just didnt start...

No, no sounds at all... i was driving on the freeway, goin around 70 maybe. Just lost power, started slowing down, stepped on the gas, nothing. Pulled to the shoulder and finally the engine died. I tried restarting and it just sounded normal but just didnt start...

you can thank your non-interference engine for that ;)

Oh and it has 186k miles...
So is $450 good price for a timing belt and water pump job?

Well its fixed and it didnt ruin the engine... it didnt rip in two, just shaved some of the teeth off the belt.

As far as you know, the 186,000 miles on the Protege were also on the original timing belt? If so, that's a little over twice recommended service interval. Not bad. I don't think I'm even going to consider doing it when I crest 90,000 miles in a few months.

my fp-de went to 190k on the original belt. i had to replace it when it jumped 3 or 4 teeth. ran like s***. it then died like 10k later. i took it apart last month, jumping 3-4 teeth on an interference motor would most definetly bend valves or damage a piston. there were no signs of that what so ever. im getting tired of people saying these are interference motors when they are not. i jumped 3-4 teeth and took it completely apart less than 10k later, so I know first hand. you yuppies that listen to the bs being spread can piss off and stop misleading these people who don't know about cars. stop being a google expert

It is definitely non interference.

my fp-de went to 190k on the original belt. i had to replace it when it jumped 3 or 4 teeth. ran like s***. it then died like 10k later. i took it apart last month, jumping 3-4 teeth on an interference motor would most definitely bend valves or damage a piston. there were no signs of that what so ever. im getting tired of people saying these are interference motors when they are not. i jumped 3-4 teeth and took it completely apart less than 10k later, so I know first hand. you yuppies that listen to the bs being spread can piss off and stop misleading these people who don't know about cars. stop being a google expert

I will vouch that it is non-interference, just make sure to replace the timing component wheels as well when you do the timing belt. Whoever owned mine before me and after the original owner had the belt replaced, but I do not believe they replaced the timing components, they did replace the water pump though. So I just bought mine 3 weeks ago and I have only driven it once, I just happened to have to go out of state and found out I had no heat, then the car started making a racket. Turned out to be the timing components eating through the side of the Timing cover along with the belt. OD is at 292000 bought it for 2300, simply due to the fact there was absolutely not a single deposit in the head and it ran like a sewing machine. I did not however pay close enough attention, as it had two broken motor mounts and was in very desperate need of a power flush and oil change. AT this point I have over 3000 in it. I replaced the front struts, motor mounts, hoses to radiator, fixed the intake that was installed on it. My wife is freaking out on me because it is still in pieces waiting for the New timing component kit and belt. I already have a new cover. However, I was wondering if I should replace the valve cover gasket. It is a good quality silicone one and has a good 1/16 to an 1/8th of protrusion from the valve cover. All the grommets are good and there is no oil leaking into the spark-plug areas.

listen guys...the FACTORY states that the 2.0L DOHC engine in the Protege5 from 2000-2003 are are interference engine. FACT>

Back