Is anyone else disappointed in their car? (Long story)

Yeah, I have never seen a car with as much heat shielding as this car has. Basically from the manifold to the muffler is one huge long heat shield. All the reflected energy has to pop out somewhere and the hole's at the aft end of the car.

Back on topic...as soon as I read the forums on this car, it's easy to be "disappointed" but, then I go out for a drive and I remember why I bought this hooligan car in the first place. Every car I've ever owned was as big a hooligan as I could afford at the time. My last performance car, the apogee of hooligan cars, a supercharged 5.0, I had for 13 years and beat on every time I drove it. I'm a little nicer to this car, being 13 years older now but, I still grin like mad every drive.

Drive what you like, as long as you can pay for it, it's all good.

Last edited:
(skipping all pages)

personally, I won't modify heavily in the engine compartment. Just an intake is good enough for me. And i like my car to be quiet so no freaking loud exhaust. Stock is loud enough...

i would mainly modify for looks and modify my suspension/stiffness for better driving and cornering. i dont go to the tracks that often so almost stock is enough for me as a DD. :)

To OP, if you're looking to do moderate to heavy modding MS3 is the wrong car. WRX/Evo has much more potential in that area, plus more support and options.

I was done with heavier modding and its issues with my 02 WRX, so MS3 was perfect, car I'm happy with in stock or lightly modded form.

I left mine stock and enjoy it other than the turbo seals needing to be fixed and it not having blue tooth or an mp3 capable head unit. I have a heavily modded Mustang for when I feel like shitting myself. The Mazda is just a good compromise between power and utility and an excellent beater.

Light mods for the MS3 highlights what the car is good at. But they can also highlight the annoyances - namely the overly complex controls in the ECU.

I'm enjoying the car with the light mods I've done. But also at times I think that I should go back to mostly stock and get a dedicated track car. For now I'm still attached to the MS3 at the track, and the dedicated track car would at first be a step down from the MS3.

My MS3 has put up with a brutal 30k miles, so I can't complain.

For 23k I got a brand new car with 263hp/280ft-lb torque, runs 5.5 0-60 and 14sec @100 -1320. It handles quite well, very practical, fairly good on fuel and is a blast to drive. I can’t complain. With coil overs and decent tires it will probably hold its own on the track as well, next on the mod list..

Last edited:
I'm not taking my car to the strip, autocrossing it or doing track days, so it's more than powerful enough for what it is.
It's a hot hatch or compact wagon with some get up and go. I added a MSCAI and TurboXS Hybrid BOV and that's all I'm doing for power.
I like the look of being lowered, but rough roads and my lower back say that the suspension is fine the way it is. I slapped some 18X8 rims and 245's on mine and it's got a lot of grip now; At the expense of rubbing issues that would probably be worse with a lower stance.

Overall, I am satisfied with the car.
Would like it better if it was RWD though, LOL.

The car is a terrific daily driver, but I haven't been all that impressed with it on the track. By next spring at the latest I'll either have to sink upwards of $3000 into wheels/tires and springs/dampers(or coilovers) or buy something more suitable.

I took off my Cobb SRI for the last time after going back and forth but finally went back to stock. Car accelerates smoother and actually goes somewhere when flooring it in 1st and 2nd(no crazy tires spinning) and 6th(better throttle response). With Cobb SRI, power dies off fast based on my dyno with it and very sluggish before 3k rpm especially in stop and go traffic when heat soaks gets the best of the engine. I like this car as is from the factory and still very much into it when stock where powerband more predictable in straights and turns. It's my fun to drive fast daily driver. As far as fun to drive and dedicated track car, my s2k>ms3

3816468886_0df9e4bdfd.jpg

Last edited:
hyperpm, I find the exact opposite to be true about the cobb sri. when i have it on the car is smooth and better freeway throttle response in 6th and its sluggish before 3k rpm with the stock airbox on.

Yeah I hear more positives with Cobb SRI but not for me. I never did the battery disconnect and running amsoil dry filter but after a month would think ECU would've adjusted. I do have a model where fins were defective(crooked) but not sure if that in itself contributes to how car behaves with SRI on.

Last edited:
The way to get the most performance out ogf your car is to take a performance driving school.

The way to get the most performance out ogf your car is to take a performance driving school.

I'm too cool for school, and too stingy to pay the outrageous prices for it. $25 for a weekend autocrosses is suitable for me. If your driving like an idiot at faster than autocross speeds on the street, you probably deserve what's coming.(sleep)

The car is a terrific daily driver, but I haven't been all that impressed with it on the track. By next spring at the latest I'll either have to sink upwards of $3000 into wheels/tires and springs/dampers(or coilovers) or buy something more suitable.

I suppose it's track chops depend on your expectations and commitment.

Honestly if you're running with the stock tires I'm not surprised. I don't know of many cars out there that are very good on the track with OEM tires and suspension. Just don't tell me you're comparing it to previous experience in a track prepped RWD car?

For a FWD hot hatch, I don't think there is much of a better choice for occasional track duty and fun dd duty.

FWD definitely has it's limitations.

Mazda already modded the heck out of a Mazda 3. I thank them for that. I added nice wheels and tint. Now all I have to do is keep it clean and it stays bitchen!! And FAST!!

I love everything about the Speed3, even the torque steer. Not crazy about the brake dust and the extra soot in the tail pipe though.

Back