Is anyone else disappointed in their car? (Long story)

AutoEuphoria

:
'08 CPW Mazdaspeed 3
I bought my MS3 new in late '08. I loved the car at first...handled really good, power was nice, looked really good, and was still very practical.

However, once I started down the "modding" path (as I always do with cars...can't leave anything stock for long) the magic slowly started to fade. I soon found that these cars are nearly impossible to modify, at least in my experience. I don't know...maybe I'm the only one, but it just seems like no matter what I do I can't find a combination that works.

I originally just had a boost controller and tried setting it for just under the normal boost cut/fuel cut/whatever range. This worked ok, but I could never get any consistency from day to day. On my turbo Hondas I would set the controller for 15 psi and it would stay there no matter what. For some reason I could never get the same luck with the MS3. I'd set it for 16.5 or 17 and I'd run that for an afternoon, then it would go up to 19 at night (hitting fuel cut/KR/etc), then back to 13 the next day, etc.

So I added a Boost Cut Defender, but didn't have much luck with that. Saw AFRs that were just way too rich (like 9 or less). Safe, but all that extra gas was just choking out any extra power that could be made by running more boost.

Then I ditched that plan and went back to stock. I then added a downpipe and midpipe (both catless) BPV, and an intake. Then I started seeing the boost go above safe levels even on the stock tune (spiking past 20). I also noticed my fuel pressures were dangerously low, and was constantly getting KR.

I forked over the $600 for a Cobb AP, and had zero luck with that. I was using the OTS maps (v 1.02 and later 1.03 when they were released), but was still getting way more KR and boost than I felt was safe. Spiking and holding past 19-20 when the target was 17-18, still getting fuel/boost cut...still seeing low fuel pressures.

So I upgraded the fuel pump (that worked just fine...fixed the low pressures) and sold the AP. Back to the stock boost/tune. Got bored really fast. I switched back to the MBC route and went with a MAP clamp this time. That actually worked for a while, but still was seeing loads of KR in the higher gears, low AFRs (expected), stuttering, inconsistent boost, and generally running like s***.

I just recently took the MAP clamp, BPV and MBC off and am back to stock again. I'm having issues with the boost going all over the place, but I'm pretty sure that is just the ECU trying to recalibrate itself. If it doesn't, I'm just going to take the intake and exhaust off and go back to 100% stock

At this point I just don't know what to do. (sadbanana)

I'm not willing to spend $1k+ for a tuning solution when I don't even know of any tuners in my state, and I still don't know if that would even fix the problem.

And that's just the tuning issues. I've also had the constant creaks from the windshield area, the dash, the suspension, and the seatbelt. The seatbelt got so bad that I had to spray it with WD40 just to keep from going insane.

So anyway, long story...but anyone else disappointed in how difficult it is to modify this car and have it run right? What is up with all the overboosting, Knock Retard, low fuel pressures, gear-limited boost, throttle body that won't open all the way, etc?

Also, one final question...does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to give up one of my only hobbies because the car I own doesn't respond well to mods, especially considering I'm basically stuck with it for a couple more years (due to the massive instant depreciation). I'm just not in the position to spend $1000 or more to attempt to fix the problem. Now, if I knew 100% that it would take care of everything then I would consider it, but every single product out there has both positive and negative reviews. Seems like with everything people either love it or hate it. I have not seen anything that has worked for 100% of the people who have tried it without causing any other issues.

Last edited:
sorry to hear all that crap happening to you. I would go back to stock levels, upgrade the suspension and kick ass at autox. but thats me

i know the catless exhaust can cause lots of issues with the ap, so a custom tune might have helped, but as you said there was no one near you.

my amr map ended up almost blowing my motor, so i had to fork over even more cash to another tuner to fix it, now its running great. but yea this car is such a moody b**** when it comes to modding its rediculous.

do you know how much power you were putting down when modded? im happy with my power levels for now, suspension is next on my list untill the warranty is gone.

Why not, oh I dunno, leave it stock or near-stock? Seems like a lot of us are satisfied.

Seems like that might be the way I have to go. Just never been my MO, I guess. Always gone down the Power then Suspension then Looks route with the cars I've owned.

I have to admit, I have my moments with mine as well. I am sitting pretty well stock, only mod is the cobb sri, and twm short shifter. I tried a rear trans mount and wasn't happy with that at all. The seat belt and windshield creak started to bother me, but then I just cranked the stereo up. I am in it for the long haul though, as mine is rapidly accruing miles.

Overall I am very satisfied, but things could be better. If your mostly stock, thats probably a good thing, as it doesn't take much tinkering with these to get things seriously out of whack, and likely to blow up the engine. If your in the market for crazy mods, get a different platform, this isn't it.

I guess I'm in a somewhat different boat than you. I was tired of upkeeping my modded '02 WRX, so this time around I wanted something that had good stuff right out of the box. MS3 winded up being the pick of the litter for me. I knew I would do bolt-ons and exterior/interior bits to make it reflect my personality. But, I've been satisfied with it being relatively stock. I'm getting older and I need more comfort/visual appeal/refinement than POWER. The MS3 was a good compromise of all that compared to my power/rattling/loud Subie :)

I can't say I am with you Auto....

I like a few others here have basically kept mine in stock form. My only real power booster is a ms cai. I have upgraded the struts/shocks to the Koni FSDs and have a rear mm. I still enjoy hte car, it goes fast enough for what I need and it looks nice.

There are a few quirks like the rattles that bug me but for a car this quick in the $23k range I just can't complain. They rattle, i fix them.

Like Hank, I came from a car that I dumped thousands of dollars into trying to eek out every last drop of HP and skidpad Gs... only to step back and ask myself WTF did I just do? So, I went into the MS3 with the intention of getting a package that was nearly complete right out of the box, then doing some basic mods to suit my tastes. It seems those like me are happy with the car, but those looking to make huge power are not and jump ship to another platform.

Why not, oh I dunno, leave it stock or near-stock? Seems like a lot of us are satisfied.

Yes, but I wonder that about all who mod. All y'all can avoid a lot of frustration by deciding to be content and leaving things alone. Or, buy the car you wanted in the first place.

Edit: I've been perfectly happy with my completely stock '07 for 2 years and 25K now.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't quite understand the obsession with making "mad power" with this platform...I've got an intake, TIP, and AP and I don't really think it needs to be any more powerful.

The AP gives me the ability to fiddle around with tuning to suit my driving style, which has been fun. I'm not saying I won't end up with any more power mods down the road, but I'm not convinced that adding anthing thing else in that department would necessarily make it a more enjoyable car to drive.

The only thing I'm mildly disappointed with regarding this platform is the low number and relatively limited scope of viable suspension tuning options that are currently available... (dunno)

I have to say that I am very happy with my MS3. This is the first import I ever purchased and I did a lot of research before buying the MS3. Sure, it has its quirks and what car doesn't. I have shown restraint with modding this car and it has been very good to me. All mods have yielded gains in a cumulative way. After a costly,disappointing modding experience with a previous car, I learned to upgrade with caution. This MS3 is and continues to be a fun,powerful, great handling car that delivers on the promise of speed.(thumb)

i've pretty much gone back to stock and prefer it to the modded state.
sure it's slower but it drives lexus like now w/o the mounts rofl

and im beating on it compared to when it was modded w/o worrying to
much.

I never had intention of making big power with this car. Just bold ons here and there and some visual mods. It is my DD and suits my purpose.

I def. agree with the mod bug.. It can be annoying.. Cost alot. I feel for me 300-350whp is fine. Especially for the street. Sometimes it costs alot to get it. Sometimes it dsnt.. Just gotta go into it with knowledge in making sure your getting the right car for the goals you want..

is this your first mazda? i assume so. otherwise you would have already learned these lessons. next time if you want to mod your car a good amount either buy a miata, RX*, or something other than a mazda

is this your first mazda? i assume so. otherwise you would have already learned these lessons. next time if you want to mod your car a good amount either buy a miata, RX*, or something other than a mazda

Why is that?? Isn't there enough out there to do enough to it??

Why is that?? Isn't there enough out there to do enough to it??
nobody has ever really figured out mazda's ECUs. there are workarounds and ok solutions but nobody has ever taken the time to crack the entire thing to figure out how it really works. without that the car can't be properly tunee it with the stock ECU in place - you just end up putting a lot of bandaids on the problem. that or you go full standalone which is a lot more work than most people want and in many states means your car won't pass emissions so won't be able to be registered. it was true for the last gen of cars and is still true for this gen. it probably will continue to be true for the next gen.

Not my first Mazda...third, actually. Had an Mx6 and an FD before. Thought that Mazda would have gotten better over the years, but I guess I was wrong. I was thinking about going down the suspension w/ wheels road for a while. Maybe I'll just do that instead. I need to do something to get my interest back in this car.

nobody has ever really figured out mazda's ECUs. there are workarounds and ok solutions but nobody has ever taken the time to crack the entire thing to figure out how it really works. without that the car can't be properly tunee it with the stock ECU in place - you just end up putting a lot of bandaids on the problem. that or you go full standalone which is a lot more work than most people want and in many states means your car won't pass emissions so won't be able to be registered. it was true for the last gen of cars and is still true for this gen. it probably will continue to be true for the next gen.

So basically its a deal where if you wanna go intake and tbe.. Find and ems and hope it works out as best as you can and try and reinforce it??

Back