Ipod Intergration w/factory Nav

Got My Neo Installed !!

Well my installer came by and installed my neo for me in under 40 min right in my driveway for 60.00 - anyone living in the Northern NJ area looking for the same deal shoot me a PM and I will give you his info...The sound is GREAT although I still need to learn how to advance songs and playlists and such. I have NO idea how to set the presets on my sirius ..... Anyone that could provide some insights I would be appreciative, regardless I am SO happy to finally be able to bring my ipod with me and listen to my music !!

Just picked-up mine from installer.

I don't have a "real" review yet because I'm spending too-much time doing what *they* were supposed to.

- They did not correctly set the dip-switches, so my 80GB iPod Classic was "locked-out" when I docked it. I had to pull into a parking lot, find the box, read the instructions and set the dip-switches. Better.

- The next thing I did was to pull-in to a Home Depot to grab some KrazyGlue. The DICE Cradle is not exactly the most "solid" piece of equipment. All the plastic interchangeable pieces snap together, but not snugly. Plus the "swivel" joint cannot be over-tightened, yet it still moves... so I got some KrazyGlue and basically welded all of the parts together so they do not swivel, slide, shift and move. I will wait for it to fully dry/cure before running it through its paces with both the iPod and iPhone.

On the good side, I could hear the audio through my system and it sounds great. I am very pleased to be able to hear my music pumping through the system.

So - ignoring the deficiencies of the cradle and the oversight by the installer, I look forward to giving a more comprehensive review after spending a few days with it.

Good evening.
-sf

Day II with Neo

Right out of the gate, I will go on record as saying the directions are lacking BIGTIME for those of us with Navigation. Such being the case, you have to be intuitive and fiddle around ALOT to figure this thing out. I still have yet to figure it out and totally confused. The only thing I have gotten it to do is start playing music by itself with NO control other than volume.

I installed my "KUDA" today too, which was a PITA as the metal tabs did not want to go into the seam. After scratching my bezel, I bent the tabs and silicone the unit to the bezel in addition to the screw inside the GB. Then I had to tape it with painters tape to let it set up overnight. As for the dice adptr had to silicone that as well to the KUDA, problem is the wire comes in the back side of it so I could not center it on the KUDA and had to favor the bottom. So with everything silicone and setting, wont be able to play with this thing till maybe tomorrow.

Another thing that confused me was that I have SR 1 - SR2 - SR3 - SR4 -SR5 - SR6, not sure if I have to program all the presets on SR1 to channel 10 and SR2 to 20 etc....anyone with info on this matter please advise

will update after I figure things out......so far very happy as the sound is awesome !!

Well - I am finding things out as I go;

iPhones and the NEW iPod Classics use a different "mode" (hence the dip-switch adjustments) than previous iPods.

If I left the dip-switches in the standard default positions, it would lock-out the iPod interface, BUT it would allow the track, artist, time info to be displayed within the NAV on-screen display.

If I set the dip-switches to allow control of the iPod, it restricts amount of control and data to/from the iPod. NEO claims it's due to a change in the protocol with the newer iPod & iPhone.

Since I don't really care about having the text display on-screen, but WANT to be able to navigate my iPod... I choose to leave it set to the latter setting.

Also, after letting the KrazyGlue dry... the DICE mount is now as solid as I need it to be. I just hope it doesn't become brittle over time.

I also lined the inner-surface of the cradle insert with adhesive felt to keep the iPod & iPhone scratch-free.

The next thing to do is to get the feel/timing of advancing to the next track without changing the "mode" from TRACK to PLAYLIST using the steering wheel controls.

Stay tuned, boys & girls.

Wrong Neo ProLink?

I purchased the Neo ipod adapter and went to install it today. I have the Bose w/Nav. The Neo did not function....it was charging the ipod but it did not play it nor would the Sirius screen come up on the Nav. I noticed the white box the Neo cam in had the code PODMAZV1 stickered on it. I checked my sales receipt and I did order the PODMAZR2V1 so I think they may have sent me the wrong one. Can someone with this unit that is working properly confirm that the code on their white box had the R2? I can not get in touch with Neo until Monday, but assuming they sent me the wrong one, I want to have it packed up and ready to ship back to them.

Thanks.
Mark

They sent the wrong one - AND there's more.

I have not nailed-down "why"... but:

- IF I turn-off the car while stereo is on SAT/Sirius, and I remove the iPod and IF the ipod is NOT docked in the cradle when the vehicle gets started again... the Sirius screen is not available. I can hit the SAT button all I want, but it will not show up until I shot OFF the car, dock the iPod and restart the vehicle. THEN it shows up.

If I remember to dock my iPod FIRST, then it's fine... but if I use the remote starter and then try to plop the iPod into the dock, it doesn't work. There's no SAT screen.

Now... I have not tested if I shut-off the vehicle while in FM mode... I am curious that if I leave it in SAT, it looks for the connection of the iPod when I start the car... but it might not look for it if it's in AM/FM mode.

Will test.

This informative thread has kind of left off on a down note. Scott, do you mean they sent you the wrong one, or were you referring to Mark? Any word from Neo on your issue with having to have the ipod docked? Is the firmware upgradable? I know a lot of us have been waiting patiently for such a device, and even a few shortcomings won't stop us from picking one up, but I'm wondering if it might be worth holding out a little longer until they patch some bugs.

Also, what dip switch settings did you use for your iPhone?

No no - I was reiterating that *I* think they sent Mark the wrong one. *NOT* that I was sent the wrong one. Mine works fine.

The settings I use for my iPhone AND my iPod Classic are the same. The DEFAULT Dip-Switch settings are all-4 of them set to "ON"... the 2 stereo-side switches and the 2 iPod-side switches.

To get control of the iPod interface on the CLASSIC iPods (not the earlier ones) you need to set the dip-switches for the iPod (clearly labeled on the unit) to *OFF*. This stops you from being locked-out of the CLASSIC iPod controls. ALL OTHER iPods WILL WORK WITH FACTORY SETTINGS.

Apparently; Apple "changed things" when they began shipping the newer "classic" iPods. It sounds fantastic. Enjoy.

I got the Neo Car kit for my CX-7 with Navigation and installed it today.
Yes, it works and the audio quality is of course much better than a crappy FM modulator based solution. (yippy)
I rewired the front buttons by cutting traces on the two circuit boards and adding a few wires, so now the Media button actually works and selects the iPod! Perhaps now my CX-7 factory nav is the only one with a working Media button? (cheers)
But...still my LED display shows Sirius when selecting the input and when I have my screen in Audio mode it becomes obvious how Neo Car is simulating a Sirius Sat module.
"Fixing" the software inside the DVD navigation unit is impossible for me without having the source code, so I have no other choice than to live with this less than perfect display and user interface. I have no idea who at Mazda can't be that ignorant and seriously making a system like this iPod prepared is a no brainer (the accessory protocol of Apple is a fairly simple UART based serial protocol).
By the way, one of the connectors on the rear of the Sanyo DVD navigation unit is unusued! What is that connector for?
Frankly speaking, the Media button is fully wired up for some reason I would imagine. I can't stop wondering if the unit actually is prepared for media inputs but perhaps Sanyo just never released the interface specs?
Does the wiring diagram say anything about the connectors on the nav system?
I should have sued the Mazda dealer for selling me my CX-7 claiming that an iPod adapter would soon come back in 2006 when I bought it...it was frankly part of my decision (smash) and the very same tech oriented customers who like the tech package quite obviously are also the typical MP3 player user.(hand)
Next step is to integrate a Mac Mini (Apple's Front Row is awesome in a car!) into my CX-7 and use the extra audio input of the Neo adapter and switch the video with the Navigation unit. I've decided to re-define the SAT button to toggle between Sat Navigation and Mac Mini (simply route a wire to a KVM type switch). Anybody knows the pinout of the navigation unit under the passenger seat?

Plugs in Nav/Radio

I'm looking for some help getting the plugs out of the back of my nav/radio. I have the Neo wire plugged in now but I need to remove it to return it (unit is defective). When I installed it I just pulled the radio out without unplugging any wires and reached my hand in the back to plug in the Neo cable. I can not unplug it the same way...it is to hard to pull out so I need to unplug all the wires so I can pull the entire radio out. I am not able to get the other two main plugs pulled out with my hand so I can pull the radio out. Is there a "trick" to this? Do I need a certain tool? Are these plugs snapped in that I need to press a release button somewhere? Any help wouold be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark

Neo Removal

Mark,

I would suggest that you do not remove the plug from the radio itself since it appears to be impossible without removal of HU. Perhaps you should consider disconnecting the wires from the Neo Unit itself, after all if your unit is defective thats the only thing they have to swap out anyway.

I know that when my dip switch settings needed adjustment, that is what I did with my Neo. Simpy and quick, total time was under 5 minutes for removal and reinstall. So my advice is unless you absolutely have to remove the wiring, leave it in place and just remove the unit itself.

Good Luck

Mark,

I would suggest that you do not remove the plug from the radio itself since it appears to be impossible without removal of HU. Perhaps you should consider disconnecting the wires from the Neo Unit itself, after all if your unit is defective thats the only thing they have to swap out anyway.

I know that when my dip switch settings needed adjustment, that is what I did with my Neo. Simpy and quick, total time was under 5 minutes for removal and reinstall. So my advice is unless you absolutely have to remove the wiring, leave it in place and just remove the unit itself.

Good Luck

Thanks. That is what I ended up doing at their advice. But I would still like to know how to disconnect the other plugs should I end up not getting this to work. Don't want the wire just hanging out back there especially if I have to get any work done on the HU under warranty.

Neo ProLink Does not track to next song

I just installed the Neo ProLink PODMAZ-R2V1 in to my Mazda CX-7 2008 and even that it works and sounds great, I was not able to skip to next track, FF, RW, select paylist, etc from the head unit nor the streering wheel. Also, the screen does not show the title name nor the track name, what it shows under each is TITLE: DICE ELECTRONICS and ARTIST: VOL:59, if I press the preset 2, artist changes to ARTIST: BAS:50, etc. Has any one had this problem?

For anyone that may experince the same problem I figure it out.

For some weird reason my Neo module during the setup stage, configured channel 50 to SEL:AUX1 instead of SEL:IPOD. After playing around with it for about 2 hours and no success with technical support to see if they had heard about the initial problem by sheer luck, I pressed the preset channel 50, then pressed the SOUND button on the screen, followed by pressing Track Down and to my surprise, the thing got resolved. Chanel 50 read SEL:IPOD, and the screen did show the title and artist.

Last edited:
Dip Switch Settings

Depending on which generation iPOD you are using will dictate how you dip switch settings need to be. For example, I have the latest nano and my ipod got locked out when I used it. After resetting the dip switch settings, I was able to stop the lock out problem. However, I am still unable to advance tracks with the steering wheel controls. Not a big deal for me as my iPOD is mounted (kuda mount) and I simply use the click wheel if I want to advance a song.

If you read back in this thread you will see the dip switch post which will give you some guidance. Good luck with it, the sound is awesome and I have no regrets.

WWNJCX7

Right now, I am using the HK Drive+play unit with the wired FM modulator. The sound is decent, but I'll be getting the Neo unit next month and I have a question. What iPod model are people using? For me, the most important feature would be the name/title display and steering wheel controls. I don't care if it gets locked out when plugged in as I would rather use the steering wheel or LCD. That is as long as I can navigate my iPod's menu with those methods. I am also getting a new iPod and want to make sure I get a model that will function correctly. I really only use it for my car, so I don't mind getting an older model if it will work better. Thanks

Will the IPod touch or new Nano be subject to the either display or lock-out problem?

Last edited:
The directions are cryptic that come with the unit... BUT, you need to make sure a few things are "set"... you need to turn "categories" *ON* on the Nav unit within the Sirius interface... THEN, you must set it's mode to "tracks" and set all the presets within the bank of Sirius channels to be between 11 and 19.

The steering-wheel control (as far as the stereo thinks) is to advance to the next channel preset (when the "categories" part is enabled in Sirius). And the "numbers" that correspond to a "track" on your iPod are between 11-19.

SO: Go to any bank of Sirius channels EX: SIRIUS1 and set each preset channel sequentially starting from 11... so they should show 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16.

SET: Make sure "categories" is enabled (I forget which button to press on the screen)

DIP SWITCHES: Make sure the Dip-Switches on the iPod side of the Neo are set correctly for YOU iPod.

If you are using a NEWER iPod Classic or iPhone, you need to set the switches OPPOSITE the default shipped setting.

In this mode (because of what Apple changed) you WILL have the ability to control the iPod through its interface - BUT- it will NOT pass metadata to the screen in the Nav unit. It will just show static info.

IF you decide to leave it in the standard/default Dip-Switch setting... you WILL get read-out on the screen... but you will be locked-out of the iPod's direct control and the iPod display will only show the "Connected" icon.

I don't care if any song data displays on my nav screen because the iPod shows it clearly with album art... AND, I usually have my display set to NAVIGATION... so I'd rather be able to see my iPod screen.

I may not be 100% accurate with my instructions... but it should get you close... to the point where you can figure it out. :)

Setting Catagories

If anyone can chime in on the proper way to "set categories" it would be helpful. I thought that the Neo unit was set on category so long as you had channel 10 set in Sirius ? Perhaps there is another way which I am over looking having to do with the head unit itself.

The operating instructions that come with the Neo are lacking to say the least

thoughts and comments appreciated.....

You "SET" the category in the Mazda HeadUnit itself - in the Sirius screen. As if you actually had the Sirius running. I do not recall the exact button, but it's on the screen in the upper-right, if I remember correctly. I will chime-in when I get home, after checking before the commute.

It's the button that toggles HOW the "track-advance" button is going to work within Sirius... you basically want to tell it to only advance to "stations" within that category.

Back