iPod Integration: Success! (with pics)

This does seem to answer the question those who love to look and play with their Ipods while driving.

Wolf,
Good point, that can be taken either way.

We can honestly say this setup is far more safer than the iPod in the glove box senerio that Mazda offers! Ask anyone who has the Mazda connector installed that (and has more than say 200 songs on the iPod) has not taken the unit out because the user interface is so bad to navigate.

I like getting into my car and spending 10-20 seconds selecting a playlist then driving. That is impossible to do in the Mazda version.

I did a full report in October on our blog on the both setups.

Alpha Wolf said:
This does seem to answer the question those who love to look and play with their Ipods while driving.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think NEITHER is ideal. The Audio Link is a tad better, but really, good integrated iPod controls, controlled THROUGH the radio, are the safest and easiest. But the key word in that sentence though, is GOOD.

Rabbit,
I think a "TAD" is respectfully a bit far stretched in my opinion using both connectors! As you posted earlier in the thread about ripping the whole head unit out, I felt the same way when the MAZDA connector was installed. As a matter of fact, as good of sound quality the Mazda connector allowed I resorted back to the FM transmitter because of how difficult sorting 4-5000 song was (it is impossible). As I stated before, the audio link gives the operator "complete" iPod access control with basic track up and down and FFW/RW functions on the headunit (and wheel).

I could not agree more with you on complete headunit control. For one, I don't believe any manufacture completely does this (feature for feature) but some have some playlist attempts at it. Two, the software and comunication to allow this would be quite involved and possibly infringe with APPLE interest.

CXRabbit said:
Honestly, I think NEITHER is ideal. The Audio Link is a tad better, but really, good integrated iPod controls, controlled THROUGH the radio, are the safest and easiest. But the key word in that sentence though, is GOOD.

Last edited:
TO,

I can't say that no car manufacturers offer it in an OEM radio (because I haven't looked at the higher end vehicle "tech packages"), but absolutely aftermarket radio manufacturers make and sell it. My husband HAS IT in his car. Complete iPod control, and exceptionally GOOD iPod control, right through the head unit. He never needs to, or wants to, touch his iPod (iPod is hidden away in his center console). The unit I am considering also does it.

Husbands:
ipod_02.sized.jpg

The one I'm considering:
iva-w200.jpeg

ivaw200.jpg

There is no problem with Apple in doing it - it's a GOOD THING for Apple and they know it. No, Alpine or any other manufacturer isn't going to go out and copy the iPod interface exactly, but the functions ARE there (and easily accessible). My husband's radio is a joy to use... you can access any Playlist, Album, Artist or Song just like you can through the iPod... and the process to do so is as simple.

I agree that your product is better than the Mazda one, but like I said, not at all the perfect solution IMHO. It's affordable and you get some control over the iPod while still maintaining full direct control through the iPod itself. But it isn't compatible with the Navigation system, and would force anyone to lose Satellite radio capabilities (at least at this point). It also requires a dock and/or running visible wires. These are not things I want or enjoy looking at. That's ME though -- I know some people are very happy with your product and they should be! It functions as advertised and not everyone is as picky as me ;)

Rabbit,

First, we don't make or sell the audio link connector, we make the FlexPED iPod carmount.

With two very different radio headunits on the market (simple digital and those new and limited to highend that actually have an operating system). My simple point was that "most radio's" (simple digital) don't have the abilty to be programmed to match the interface to iPod with near complete full features.

When I went to purchased my CX-7 I was sure to spec that there was some sort of iPod connector available. I had no reason for the Nav system (already having a portable) and knew the iPod connector was not available. I am happy to have the simple standard bose system but was VERY dissapointed with the mazda connector installed. Then I installed the audio link and became very happy.

My biggest thing of all this is that MOST people are not going to have high end options like you do and need a hard wired solution today. I think you said something like that too.

I guess we all have to wait for what is really an optimal solution, or pay the early adaptor fee!

CXRabbit said:
TO,

I can't say that no car manufacturers offer it in an OEM radio (because I haven't looked at the higher end vehicle "tech packages"), but absolutely aftermarket radio manufacturers make and sell it. My husband HAS IT in his car. Complete iPod control, and exceptionally GOOD iPod control, right through the .....

TO,

While I agree the IVA-W200 is "high end" in price, the one my husband has (CDA-9857) is not. You can buy the unit for about $300, + installation if you're not going to do it yourself. The Audio Link + FlexPed is like $170, so they are similarly priced. If someone can afford $200, they can afford $300.

Do NOT make the assumption that good headunits are always over-the-top expensive. That's simply not the case.

The bigger issue right now is that because the CX-7 is so new there are limited dash/bezel kits available so it's a matter of being patient.

When I bought the CX-7 I knew that good integrated iPod support wasn't possible... but the head unit's other glaring deficiencies did not become obvious until I was using the unit day-in and day-out (and yes, I tested it before I bought it). I am supremely disappointed in the tech-package head unit... but again, that's just me.

Last edited:
I think many and most people will not go along with $300+ in a new car (that could be leased) along with the $150-$+400 iPod. It is all in how much one wants to spend.

It is such ashame and a compromise to discard a perfectly good sounding headunit because it lacks a simple line input, and the fact you will then lose the clock, steering functions and whatever other car intergration are built in. I believe every radio now a days should have audio in regardless, so that simple sub $20 cable is all one needs, then (an here is my plug) the FlexPED can mounted anywhere for what ever device you own and what ever case or skin you have, not to mention you can take this heavy constructed device carmount with you to the next car.

I have to ask you this. If your Nav system option (that I know was not cheap, $2K-3K with other things too, I know) had simple audio input (for free to $100) would be happy or would you still want more intergration at the higher cost that you speak of? I think you will answer: "it should just do it" and I that price you are right!

BTW, this conversation interests me very much because most of the time people are on the other side of this fence and not willing to pay.

CXRabbit said:
TO,

While I agree the IVA-W200 is "high end" in price, the one my husband has (CDA-9857) is not. You can buy the unit for about $300, + installation if you're not going to do it yourself. The Audio Link + FlexPed is like $170, so they are similarly priced. If someone can afford $200, they can afford $300.

Do NOT make the assumption that good headunits are always over-the-top expensive. That's simply not the case.

The bigger issue right now is that because the CX-7 is so new there are limited dash/bezel kits available so it's a matter of being patient.

When I bought the CX-7 I knew that good integrated iPod support wasn't possible... but the head unit's other glaring deficiencies did not become obvious until I was using the unit day-in and day-out (and yes, I tested it before I bought it). I am supremely disappointed in the tech-package head unit... but again, that's just me.

THOUGHT OUT said:
I think many and most people will not go along with $300+ in a new car (that could be leased) along with the $150-$+400 iPod. It is all in how much one wants to spend.

The iPod is a given, so don't include that in the price. You're talking like a $120 difference between an integrated headunit and the AudioLink + FlexPed (if you're installing yourself). You make it sounds like we're talking hundreds of dollars in cost difference, or that a good solution is thousands of dollars, and that's not the case.

THOUGHT OUT said:
It is such ashame and a compromise to discard a perfectly good sounding headunit because it lacks a simple line input, and the fact you will then lose the clock, steering functions and whatever other car intergration are built in.

You don't lose steering wheel controls. The only thing right now that I would lose is the center portion of the upper dash display -- but I'm hoping alpine will offer some kind of harness kit for that in the future.

It's not a perfectly good sounding head-unit. The amp and speakers are the primary drivers of the sound. And it's definitely not a perfectly FUNCTIONING head unit. There are some serious issues.

THOUGHT OUT said:
I believe every radio now a days should have audio in regardless, so that simple sub $20 cable is all one needs, then (an here is my plug) the FlexPED can mounted anywhere for what ever device you own and what ever case or skin you have, not to mention you can take this heavy constructed device carmount with you to the next car.

And operating the iPod while driving while it's in a cradle is not ideal. I've done it with my previous car. I think every car should have an aux in, but I think every radio that comes as part of a "tech package" should offer an integrated iPod solution option. There's no reason they can't do it. Don't say cost, because you KNOW how much car manufacturers upcharge for what they consider their "good" radios.

THOUGHT OUT said:
I have to ask you this. If your Nav system option (that I know was not cheap, $2K-3K with other things too, I know) had simple audio input (for free to $100) would be happy or would you still want more intergration at the higher cost that you speak of? I think you will answer: "it should just do it" and I that price you are right!

If it had an aux input it would have helped appease my unhappiness, but it would not have satisfied me completely... and that not just because of the iPod thing. There are other issues.

You also have to consider that the Tech-Package includes a LOT more than just the head-unit with navigation. In that price you get the moonroof and bose speakers/amp (which we know as part of another package retails for about $1,500), plus the advanced smart-key system, perimeter alarm, rearview camera (which likely can be used with an aftermarket system) and THEN the head-unit w/navigation. Let just say the smart-key system, camera and alarm are worth $700... that's $2,200 worth of "tech" not including the head unit. That means I paid $1,800 for a headunit that in an aftermarket system for the same price, would have had it's ass kicked. (of course, that would assume I paid full retail price (which I didn't) - I'm merely going on the MSRPs for this argument).

THOUGHT OUT said:
BTW, this conversation interests me very much because most of the time people are on the other side of this fence and not willing to pay.

Music is important to me and my family. My husband is an audio engineer/producer and vp of sales for a CD/DVD replicator (working with bands and record labels). We have a recording studio in our house. We're a 3-iPod family. iTunes is networked throughout our home. We're all musicians and our daughter is also into drama/acting. Not a day goes by that music isn't part of our lives and we DO NOT listen to CDs anymore.

You come into our home and can tell we don't spend money on furniture or decorating... we don't live in a mansion... modest typical suburban ranch-style house. We're not rolling in dough. But the money we do spend, we spend on the things that really mean something to us, and music is right at the top of the list.

It's a common misconception that aftermarket solutions are expensive because most people see what they pay at the dealership for "upgrades" and think "wow, a NICE system must cost twice as much" -- when usually the nice aftermarket system with more options costs the same or, a lot of times, less.

I could say the biggest mistake I made was not just going with the stock radio in my CX-7 so I'd feel less bad about ripping it out... but ultimately, I do LOVE the smart-key and moonroof and will still use the rear-camera. Unfortunately, Mazda didn't OFFER the car with smart-key on it's own... it was bundled in with other things I was on shakey ground about wanting. It was a hard decision for me. And in the end, it's looking more and more like I will end up ripping the head unit out (I just saw someone on ebay sell one for like $200 - LOL - he/she must have gotten fed up too).

Last edited:
It has been obivous you are an audiophile, I understand everything you are saying.

Just remember there are 100,000,000 iPod users out here and that number is growing and another 30,000,000 mp3 players. Of these millions of people only a small percentage of them are willing to upgrade their stereos. Case in point, in a typical parking lot how many cars have upgraded headunits versus how many of these people own an iPod? iPod wins. Now the question is what are they doing about getting the iPod to play in the car? I bet and know the FM transmitter is MOST peoples solution, why? because it is cheap and it works. It is all about the cost, ease to install......(for many).

I have seen very few aftermarket radio that connect back to the steering wheel.

My last word is the FlexPED is a low profile design that allows your hand to wrap around the iPod and use it as intended with your thumb. Thanks for making me realize that people might not understand that, I will have to add some photo or a movie to show this.

CXRabbit said:
The iPod is a given, so don't include that in the price. You're talking like a $120 difference between an integrated headunit and the AudioLink + FlexPed (if you're installing yourself). You make it sounds like we're talking hundreds of dollars in cost difference, or that a good solution is thousands of dollars, and that's not the case.

You don't lose steering wheel controls. The only thing right now that I would lose is the center portion of the upper dash display -- but I'm hoping alpine will offer some kind of harness kit for that in the future.

It's not a perfectly good sounding head-unit. The amp and speakers are the primary drivers of the sound. And it's definitely not a perfectly FUNCTIONING head unit. There are some serious issues.

And operating the iPod while driving while it's in a cradle is not ideal. I've done it with my previous car. I think every car should have an aux in, but I think every radio that comes as part of a "tech package" should offer an integrated iPod solution option. There's no reason they can't do it. Don't say cost, because you KNOW how much car manufacturers upcharge for what they consider their "good" radios.

If it had an aux input it would have helped appease my unhappiness, but it would not have satisfied me completely... and that not just because of the iPod thing. There are other issues.

You also have to consider that the Tech-Package includes a LOT more than just the head-unit with navigation. In that price you get the moonroof and bose speakers/amp (which we know as part of another package retails for about $1,500), plus the advanced smart-key system, perimeter alarm, rearview camera (which likely can be used with an aftermarket system) and THEN the head-unit w/navigation. Let just say the smart-key system, camera and alarm are worth $700... that's $2,200 worth of "tech" not including the head unit. That means I paid $1,800 for a headunit that in an aftermarket system for the same price, would have had it's ass kicked. (of course, that would assume I paid full retail price (which I didn't) - I'm merely going on the MSRPs for this argument).

Music is important to me and my family. My husband is an audio engineer/producer and vp of sales for a CD/DVD replicator (working with bands and record labels). We have a recording studio in our house. We're a 3-iPod family. iTunes is networked throughout our home. We're all musicians and our daughter is also into drama/acting. Not a day goes by that music isn't part of our lives and we DO NOT listen to CDs anymore.

You come into our home and can tell we don't spend money on furniture or decorating... we don't live in a mansion... modest typical suburban ranch-style house. We're not rolling in dough. But the money we do spend, we spend on the things that really mean something to us, and music is right at the top of the list.

It's a common misconception that aftermarket solutions are expensive because most people see what they pay at the dealership for "upgrades" and think "wow, a NICE system must cost twice as much" -- when usually the nice aftermarket system with more options costs the same or, a lot of times, less.

I could say the biggest mistake I made was not just going with the stock radio in my CX-7 so I'd feel less bad about ripping it out... but ultimately, I do LOVE the smart-key and moonroof and will still use the rear-camera. Unfortunately, Mazda didn't OFFER the car with smart-key on it's own... it was bundled in with other things I was on shakey ground about wanting. It was a hard decision for me. And in the end, it's looking more and more like I will end up ripping the head unit out (I just saw someone on ebay sell one for like $200 - LOL - he/she must have gotten fed up too).

I wouldn't have changed my radio, but i'm having to even though i installed the AudioLink. I can't live without Subwoofer level control and a radio that doesn't have a High Pass Filter. When a dash kit comes out, i'm gettin a Double Din Pioneer.

I agree that subwoofer sound is always an improvement. Regards to the iPod, you still would have wanted to change it out playing CD's.

StickShiftCamry said:
I wouldn't have changed my radio, but i'm having to even though i installed the AudioLink. I can't live without Subwoofer level control and a radio that doesn't have a High Pass Filter. When a dash kit comes out, i'm gettin a Double Din Pioneer.

THOUGHT OUT said:
Just remember there are 100,000,000 iPod users out here and that number is growing and another 30,000,000 mp3 players. Of these millions of people only a small percentage of them are willing to upgrade their stereos. Case in point, in a typical parking lot how many cars have upgraded headunits versus how many of these people own an iPod? iPod wins. Now the question is what are they doing about getting the iPod to play in the car? I bet and know the FM transmitter is MOST peoples solution, why? because it is cheap and it works. It is all about the cost, ease to install......(for many).

You just described me. I readily took the easy way. I live in a place with an uncrowded FM dial so a transmitter was an obvious choice for me. I bought my nano for running. That I can now use it for road trips too, & charge it up to boot, is great. It just wasn't important enough to me to find a high end, perfect solution. What I have now works well enough for me.

Hopefully the market will provide solutions for all types of users so everyone can be happy.

THOUGHT OUT said:
I agree that subwoofer sound is always an improvement. Regards to the iPod, you still would have wanted to change it out playing CD's.

I still am happy with mine. I have the non-tech pack and I don't have satellite radio so while the display is not perfect. The Ipod works along with my CD player and radio fine for me. But I just listen to the music so I just select the play mode and turn it on and let it run. The most playing with it I do is to jump over some of my wifes artists to get to one of mine.

THOUGHT OUT said:
It has been obivous you are an audiophile, I understand everything you are saying.

Just remember there are 100,000,000 iPod users out here and that number is growing and another 30,000,000 mp3 players. Of these millions of people only a small percentage of them are willing to upgrade their stereos. Case in point, in a typical parking lot how many cars have upgraded headunits versus how many of these people own an iPod? iPod wins. Now the question is what are they doing about getting the iPod to play in the car? I bet and know the FM transmitter is MOST peoples solution, why? because it is cheap and it works. It is all about the cost, ease to install......(for many)

You have really just made the argument on WHY car manufacturers SHOULD focus some of their engineers on updating their radios and tech-packages. Hence the reason so many new cars this year have aux inputs. But when a car has a "tech package" the very least it should cover is iPod and Cellphone support... they've become "staples" in our music and communication culture. That IS the easiest solution. For the people who want it they can get it right when they buy their car from the dealership.

StickShiftCamry said:

The Pioneer is nice... is it this one?

avicz1500.jpg

Back