iPod Integration: Success! (with pics)

tebling

:
Mazda CX-7
After reading some of the negative feedback on the factory iPod installation, I decided to try the AudioLink / FlexPed route for my wife's CX-7. See this thread for more background:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123650502

This was also my first experience with an iPod, and I couldn't be more pleased with both the player and the integration. I'm no stranger to HD based mp3 players in cars either - I have a Dension DMP3 (160GB) in my truck, and formerly ran a PhatBox in a New Beetle.

I've put up a gallery of pics from the install:

http://picasaweb.google.com/snarglefraz/MazdaCX7IPodIntegration

(Note: this install does NOT apply to models with the nav package, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.)

Getting the console bezel off was probably the most difficult part of the install. It does take a lot of force to get it off, and I imagine if you're not very careful (and I was!) it would be easy to cause some expensive damage. Just take your time and use the right tools. I used a razor blade to gently pry first from the sides, then a series of progressively larger screwdrivers to open up the gap. The bezel is held in mostly by clips that give way under pressure, and you need to pull out and slightly up. Once the "easy" clips are off, there are a pair of clips (one on each side) near the head unit that require you to pull them to the outside of the console before they let go.

The head unit itself is just held in by four screws, and easily comes out. The AudioLink cable plugs in to the one empty connector socket on the back.

As you can see, I chose a different location to mount the FlexPed than the one on the Thought Out blog. I chose this location mostly because it is closer to the driver and higher up on the dash, making it less dangerous to use while driving. It doesn't conflict with any of the dash functionality and has the added benefit of being just beneath the factory display high up on the dash. In practice, this works out really well!

I chose to mount the FlexPed using the provided adhesive. I carefully followed the directions, including the part about heating all surfaces with a hair dryer and allowing 20 minutes to cure. I was a bit skeptical because the FlexPed is pretty beefy, but so far the adhesive shows no signs of weakness.

The AudioLink cable works as advertised - and you can change tracks on the iPod using the steering wheel control, which is quite slick.

If you don't have the factory nav system and want iPod integration, I'd definitely recommend going this route.

-tim

Look good. Never been a fan of the flex thing myself, but you did a nice job.

Everyone should keep in mind too, if you have OEM Satellite you will have to disconnect it to use the Audio Link. Not only do I have the nav system, but I have Satellite radio, and that's proven to be the bigger part of the dilema. The Neo iPod adaptor will work with the CX-7 (even with Nav), but Satellite has to be disconnected :(

CXRabbit said:
Look good. Never been a fan of the flex thing myself, but you did a nice job.

Everyone should keep in mind too, if you have OEM Satellite you will have to disconnect it to use the Audio Link. Not only do I have the nav system, but I have Satellite radio, and that's proven to be the bigger part of the dilema. The Neo iPod adaptor will work with the CX-7 (even with Nav), but Satellite has to be disconnected :(
Has anyone proven that the Neo iPod adaptor will work with NAVIGATION??? Because if it does I will get it.

Thom_y said:
mixmasterlove,

Does this mean you're giving up on the Mazda solution ?
No, I am just interested in it also...never know it maybe better. I know that alot of people say thet the NEO is great and that the MAZDA sucks.
Does anyone know the difference between the 2, feature wise.

mixmasterlove said:
Has anyone proven that the Neo iPod adaptor will work with NAVIGATION??? Because if it does I will get it.

Dunno if anyone has confirmed it directly, but it says right on their website "Factory Navigation radio IS compatible.".

Now, that doesn't mean you're going to get any kind of display from the iPod on the navigation screen. It just means it works. You can control the Neo with steering wheel controls and the radio itself, according to them.

I haven't done it yet because of the satellite radio issue. I'm HOPING, in time, Mazda or aftermarket comes up with a splitter (similar to the one used on the Mazda 3) that allows some kind of iPod connection AND Satellite. I'm also waiting with baited breath on what Mazda's solution for the nav system will be -- HOPEFULLY they'll be smart and come up with something that integrates well with the touch screen, AND will also allow Satellite radio connection not to be lost (even if that's a little more down the road).

Personally, I'm getting frustrated on waiting. I'm thinking of trying one of the newer wireless FM transmitters. My original iTrip was a pain in the ass. But perhaps some of the newer ones with button presets may make it easier to change FM channels on the fly when one is on a road trip a changing from town to town with variable open stations. I know the hiss/static has been annoying. Too bad Mazda hasn't come up with a better solution for us NAV owners. It seems Mercedes and BMW (2nd generation) are the companies with the best integration solutions.

Thom_y said:
Personally, I'm getting frustrated on waiting. I'm thinking of trying one of the newer wireless FM transmitters. My original iTrip was a pain in the ass. But perhaps some of the newer ones with button presets may make it easier to change FM channels on the fly when one is on a road trip a changing from town to town with variable open stations. I know the hiss/static has been annoying. Too bad Mazda hasn't come up with a better solution for us NAV owners. It seems Mercedes and BMW (2nd generation) are the companies with the best integration solutions.
Xtrememac.com offers the best FM TRANS......the Airplay

If the factory headunits are DIN sized on the CX7....then Alpine makes factory iPod integration with their HU.......am using one in my wife's Sportage...this setup is amazing with in-dash iPod display, and one-wire install....for $200.00!
(shocked)

I'm frustrated about the whole iPod thing so I hear ya.

I didn't try the Airplay, but I did try a RoadTrip (Griffin) and it works well. Pretty clean reception and it plugs right into the cigarette lighter comfortably. It's fits that little area on the CX-7 well. With a black RoadTrip and a black iPod it would look better than the white (which is what I have). I'll try to take some photos. It's easy to use because it's like an iPod dock... you just plug your iPod into it and it charges and transmits (no wires anywhere).

Last edited:
nice job, i'm planning on same setup soon, only w/ a black ipod on other side of stereo than u...thanks for pics. where do u start prying from first?

njcx7 said:
where do u start prying from first?

I loosened up the sides of the bezel toward the bottom (just below the HU). Once those are loose, you can do the bottom. Then do the top, but you'll only be able to go so far without loosening the two special clips on each side slightly below the HU.

I off the phone with the people from NEO and their iPod adapter is NOT compatible with the NAVIGATION kit, even though their website says it is. So know we know that it is NOT compatible. As soon as I hear something from my guy in Mazda I will let everyone with NAVIGATION know.

Back