Introducing the cp-e CX-7 Dual Exhaust!!

We've been considering making exhaust products for the CX-7 for some time now, and we were finally able to pull the trigger last weekend. The guys had access to a CX-7 so they spent a few days prototyping a dual exhaust. Our goal was to produce one that not only frees up restriction in the exhaust system, but also one that won't drive you nuts when you're cruising! To that end, we utilized two of our highest quality mufflers which happen to be very quiet. They're made in the USA, are hand TIG welded, and look absolutely gorgeous sitting under the CX-7. Anyway, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

194277.jpg

194280.jpg

194279.jpg

Now, just to clarify, there are two sections to this exhaust system, and they can be installed independent of each other. There's the test pipe, which runs from the end of the downpipe to the rear muffler section. Then there's the rear muffler section, which can be bolted to the existing stock CX-7 exhaust. So if you're just looking for a better sound, you can simply opt for the muffler section. If you're looking to gain a little more power, then get the full system which replaces the second cat. We don't have any dyno numbers yet, but we'd be surprised if this setup didn't pick up a little power over stock :D

And sound clips? We've got them, and they're going to blow you away. The sound is so mellow and deep, but far from overwhelming. There's no drone. None. When you're in the car with the windows up you have to struggle to even hear the exhaust! But from the outside, its obvious the CX7 has been modified, and it's all business at wide open throttle. Hang tight and we'll put some sound clips up! (rockon)

Sub for updates. When will this be available retail? Also, does the test pipe delete any cats? The CX-7 is now Mazda's #2 selling vehicle, so hopefully we'll continue to see new aftermarket parts roll out. Thanks guys!

Yup, we're going into production here shortly! We wanted to sort of blitz the market, so the welding fixtures are already finished, and we're just waiting to finalize pricing and a few other details before production begins. In fact, we've already started taking pre-orders, so if anyone is interested you're more than welcome to give us a call (301-576-6142). Price will be very reasonable, and I believe the guys are trying to keep it in the neighborhood of our new SPEED6 dual exhaust MSRP, which is $800. As soon as we have a finalized price I'll post it up!

The test pipe does delete the second cat, and you can even split the exhaust system into two parts. we wanted to keep things modular so you can mix and match the test pipe and the rear section with the stock exhaust, depending on what you're looking for: Sound, performance, or both. I think our system currently is the only one that has this feature.

Some vehicles use an O2 sensor behind the second cat. I don't know at this time if the CX7 does. Will removing the second cat cause a CEL error?

Thats sexy. Could we get a pic of the back of the car, and what the tips look like?

As erhayes mentioned, are there any other drawbacks of removing the 2nd cat? I assume that will cause you to fail inspections if your state has them?
We don't have them here, just throwing out the question.

Thats sexy. Could we get a pic of the back of the car, and what the tips look like?

As erhayes mentioned, are there any other drawbacks of removing the 2nd cat? I assume that will cause you to fail inspections if your state has them?
We don't have them here, just throwing out the question.

Thanks a lot!!! (drive2)

Let me see what I can do about pictures. I'll see if I can snap one from the rear with the vehicle on the ground.

Removing the second cat does not result in a check engine light because the two oxygen sensors only monitor the efficiency of the first cat, and not the second one. So you can remove the second cat with no negative side effects. People have actually been doing this on the SPEED3/6 vehicles for some time now, and its really a great bang for the buck upgrade. If you go into the SPEED3/6 forums you should be able to find a few dyno's for test pipes.

Hey CP-E. Looks great!. I noticed that you prototyped a FWD CX7. Will there be fitment issues with a AWD model?

I emailed CP-E. They said the prototype was originally off of a AWD model. The test pipe will also fit with the stock muffler.

Hey guys, thanks so much for your patience! We've got a few projects going on at once here, so apologize for posting and then running away.

We are working on a dyno, but we don't have a date set in stone yet. We fully intend on dynoing the combination, and as soon as we have a date I'll share it with you guys.

So, FINALLY, here are the sound clips of the setup. They pretty much speak for themselves, but if you guys have any questions then please feel free to post them up. Sometimes video clips can be a bit deceiving, so if you'd like some input from someone who's driven the car I'll be candid and share my thoughts about it. Anyway, here's the good stuff:

Drive away

Drive by

Idle

In cabin

In terms of drone and associated annoyances, there is none. With the windows up while cruising the car is as quiet as stock, but when you lay into it the sound gets louder than stock. It doesn't sound ricey at all either, as you can hear the surprising rumble in the sound clips. In the end, we're all pretty impressed with how the system turned out if I may toot my horn just a little (lol2)

Anyway, if you guys have questions I'll be happy to answer them, and thanks again for your patience (drinks)

Back