Infotainment System Bugs

Is there any way whatsoever to install updates yourself? I spoke to my local dealership today and the guy I talked to sounded like he had no idea what I was talking about and said he would need the car ALL DAY to update my software. Mazda should be making this way easier for the dealers to handle or just make it easy for owners to do. I shouldn't have to hassle with car pooling and not having a car all day for something like this.

Current bugs I am experiencing:
- Favorites randomly reset
- Slow boot time when USB flash drive attached (8 GB) / USB drive not recognized
- Slow boot time when iPod attached via USB and only plays the first track even if I manually select a different one.
- Night mode on the display doesn't automatically turn on even though its set to automatic.
- Sometimes voice commands just don't seem to work. I would need to test it more to be more specific but I haven't had the patience to do so at this point.

How many of the above issues are fixed by a firmware update (to the knowledge of those who have done it already)?

Last edited:
I haven't done the update yet but was told it would take about an hour and that it won't fix my primary issue. I'm going to wait till they've done a few more, hopefully released another update, and I'm in for an oil change or something anyway.

I'm also waiting for oil change time to get my firmware updated.

I had the audio favorites go away the past 2-3 days. Map favorites still there.

Today I had weird issue where the voice control was stuck on Wait For Tone for 2-3 minutes before it timed out. Lost all audio during this period... I was about to turn off the car and turn it back on but was driving and by time I got to place to turn car off/on the audio started again so it looks like the timeout on the voice control is around 3 minutes.

I to wish they make the updates available for us to do via the handsfree site someday maybe. Noticed they updated that website since I last checked it but no updates available yet for gracenote or maps. I heard sony may sell gracenote...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...e-of-gracenote-audio-recognition-service.html

Also, every time I use Pandora I have to go on my phone and hit allow. It's an iphone5 running the latest version of ios7. The phone is connected through the Bluetooth and is plugged into the USB, fwiw. I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if it's been covered. Is this normal to come up every time?

fwiw, I always have to "allow" Pandora to access the Mazda as well. you would think theres a setting to allow it to permanently open up automatically.

also waiting for another 4k miles to get an oil change/firmware update

for my 2014 mazda 3 GT w/ tech:
-navigation screen shakes back and forth when stopped in traffic (signal str impaired, but contributed by metallic window tint on car)
-navigation voice stops giving turn by turn despite volume being on (but still mutes driver side sound)
-favorites randomly reset on audio, nav and phone
-voice command stops working randomly

Got the latest firmware update today, the dealer is 45 minutes away, and the UI didn't lock up while using my iPod. Have to play with USB sticks next.

Annoyingly, but expectedly, all my favorites were gone, as was my HUD setting.

First screen crash today. Blue screen I drove home from work and the screen returned when i restarted the car.
I took a picture of it, would this help to send to Mazda?

First screen crash today. Blue screen I drove home from work and the screen returned when i restarted the car.
I took a picture of it, would this help to send to Mazda?
Not really unless you are using 25.xxx already. They will just tell you to get the new update.
The crash has not happened to me.
I don't use all the advanced features. For me, GPS, BT (phone, music streaming), FM, HD Radio.
It's wife's car. She has not complained yet.

Plan to update the firmware at 1st oil change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am finally test driving an S-GT tomorrow. I currently have a Subaru Outback 2.5i premium, which is a perfectly nice vehicle and very practical, but I am looking for something more fun, sporty, & sassy that still gives me at least some cargo capacity, thus I will be considering a hatch only. That being said, my biggest fear is the infotainment system. It seems that everyone on the forums that has the touchscreen has issues with it. The audio system in my Subaru is fairly basic, so I don't have any issues with it except for it being outdated and plain. I have never had an issue with the backup camera except that it is very small. I'm excited about possibly having a more advanced system, but I do not want it at the expense and frustration of having to go to the dealer for constant updates and fixes. That would really get old. Is anyone here HAPPY with the infotainment system? If I just use the basic features, maybe I won't notice all the problems? Thanks for any input.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am finally test driving an S-GT tomorrow. I currently have a Subaru Outback 2.5i premium, which is a perfectly nice vehicle and very practical, but I am looking for something more fun, sporty, & sassy that still gives me at least some cargo capacity, thus I will be considering a hatch only. That being said, my biggest fear is the infotainment system. It seems that everyone on the forums that has the touchscreen has issues with it. The audio system in my Subaru is fairly basic, so I don't have any issues with it except for it being outdated and plain. I have never had an issue with the backup camera except that it is very small. I'm excited about possibly having a more advanced system, but I do not want it at the expense and frustration of having to go to the dealer for constant updates and fixes. That would really get old. Is anyone here HAPPY with the infotainment system? If I just use the basic features, maybe I won't notice all the problems? Thanks for any input.

I wouldn't worry too much. I've had my car for a almost 3 months now. Never had much problem with the infotainment system to start off with. Only one time the HUD did not pop up, restarted the car and it came up. Another thing was one time the navi voice came on saying lost signal while I was in an underground parking lot, music did not come back on the driver side. Again, restarting the car fixed it. And other than sometimes slow boot up time, it's been fine. Didn't really care about updating the software but when I went in to get a rattle checked, they updated it for me without me asking. It reset all my settings. Other than that, no problem since. I use XM, stream both pandora through usb and the pandora app, listen to mp3 on my phone via usb, HD fm, and navi.

My previous vehicle was a 2011 Subaru STI. Take it from me, the infotainment system(sound system in general) blows the Subaru's out of the water. It looks and feels better and most importantly, it sounds MUCH better. Like low, I've only had the HUD not come up once, and I've also lost my favorites once. Very minor issues for an overall superior experience. I have not had mine updated since I bought the car a couple months ago. Going into the dealer on Saturday so I'll see if there's an update to be had.

The "problems" are more of an annoyance than anything else. I haven't bothered to get mine updated - just not that big a deal.

I think I read this on another forum first, but they have another update release in the last week. v27 is now available. I went to the dealer for something else and asked about it and they insisted an update wasn't available. I asked them to double check and they called me later and said sure enough, v27 was available and they have installed it. No bugs yet, only been two days.

I'm going in for my first oil change and infotainment update next Wednesday (22nd). Hopefully it fixes all the mess of bugs I have. It refuses to even connect to my iPod Classic now. It worked fine for quite a while when the car was new, then it got buggier, kicking me out sometimes, and then it just stopped connecting completely. Voice commands are a mess and usually don't work.

I'm getting my update on Saturday morning. My main issue is with iPod integration and I'm hoping v27 irons that out.

Others of my wish list:
Voice to text
Passenger being able to enter GPS navigation info while driving. Maybe tie it into the passenger airbag on/off sensor?

Last edited:
Passenger being able to enter GPS navigation info while driving. Maybe tie it into the passenger airbag on/off sensor?

Like many people here, I hate electronic nannies. I hope for a hardware fix to make the Nav active for data entry when the car is in motion. Knowing which wire to snip is one question, and what are the unintended consequences of doing so? I doubt Mazda is going to make it easy for us to figure this out because of liability concerns, but maybe an anonymous source will post an Infotainment pinout diagram that shows the wiring for those of us who are brave about cutting wires under the dash.

Does the GPS display become inactive to data entry when the car is rolling down the road in neutral, or does the system only prevent GPS use when the transmission is in-gear?

P.S. If any wires are to be cut I recommend soldering a switch in place so OEM behavior can be restored easily before taking the vehicle in for warranty repairs, or whatever.

Adding a bug: I've many (hundreds likely) contacts on my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.0x) as I use it for work.
When trying to add contacts to the favorites contacts, as well as when trying to call someone, the list only goes to the letter M. No matter if I pick sort order by first,last or last,first, I can scroll down to M, after that, the letters are not bright as if empty and there is no way to get there.
That's a real pain as I do not see a way top create contacts in the car itself. One can edit details but not create a contact it seems. (I've yet to read the manual, I only poked around in every menu I could find).
So there might be a number of contacts limit the car can access through Bluetooth, or an incompatibility with iPhones. I'd need to try with an android device.

I have the same problem. It is very frustrating. I also can't seem to get TXT or emails to work.

Another question: I have seen a commercial on TV showing a FaceBook icon as one of the menu items on the screen. Is this even a feature?

I have the same problem. It is very frustrating. I also can't seem to get TXT or emails to work.

Another question: I have seen a commercial on TV showing a FaceBook icon as one of the menu items on the screen. Is this even a feature?

If you have an iPhone, go into the bluetooth menu, find Mazda and click the "i" to bring up the info menu for that bluetooth connection. Set notifications to on. Text messages will work but emails still won't. Receiving messages only. No sending. Use Siri.

Facebook is handled through Aha. Along with Twitter.

Latest posts

Back