CX-90 PHEV: First gen issues?

sangs

:
mazda
I own CX-5 for last 5 years.

I am considering leasing CX-90 PHEV as there are some incentives like $7500 credit making it a good deal option. But my main concern is that this is first PHEV big car from Mazda , there might be some issues pop up in coming months or even recall. Usually first versions are always risk . Subsequent versions, bug fixes will be done.
What you guys think ?

I think your hesitation makes sense and the strategy of waiting for new models to get tested in the wild first to see what problems arise is sound. But, it doesn't always work. Look at the current generation of CX-9 and the issues owners are having with the cracked cylinder head and oil/coolant leaks and Mazda's less than exemplary response to helping these owners that is well documented on this forum. I waited until 2019 to buy my CX-9 GT and now I'm sweating it out until I make my every 6-year new car purchase and can trade mine in before something goes wrong.

I've been lurking on the CX-90 forum and so far the only real complaint has been about a defect with the blind spot monitoring sensors. I made the mistake of buying a first year model Buick Lacrosse in 2010 and it was an absolute nightmare that I will never repeat. Good luck whichever way you decide to proceed.

I have a CX-90 PHEV PP - this is my 2nd 1st Gen vehicle (other was a 2009 Acura TSX) - so yes you will encounter bugs and issues. The big motivator was the $7500 lease credit and additional discounts that made the vehicle the same "price" as my 2021 CX-9 GT...

The drivetrain still needs refinement - it isn't as smooth as it should be - , I have front suspension creak noises, the front cross traffic alert is way too sensitive, and the Battery performance varies on temp, what electronics are in use and how much A/C or heat you're blowing..

The looks inside and outside are amazing, and the driving is still very Mazda...

I think your hesitation makes sense and the strategy of waiting for new models to get tested in the wild first to see what problems arise is sound. But, it doesn't always work. Look at the current generation of CX-9 and the issues owners are having with the cracked cylinder head and oil/coolant leaks and Mazda's less than exemplary response to helping these owners that is well documented on this forum. I waited until 2019 to buy my CX-9 GT and now I'm sweating it out until I make my every 6-year new car purchase and can trade mine in before something goes wrong.

I've been lurking on the CX-90 forum and so far the only real complaint has been about a defect with the blind spot monitoring sensors. I made the mistake of buying a first year model Buick Lacrosse in 2010 and it was an absolute nightmare that I will never repeat. Good luck whichever way you decide to proceed.

Could you please point me to that blind spot issue. I loved that feature in my CX5. so it's not new feature for Mazda and I think it might be a fixable issue from Mazda.

Sure, here you go.

Replaced My CX-9 2019 for the CX-90 PHEV - Do Not buy the first Gen. I have had nothing but issues since I purchased it in August 2023. These issues have been as follows; AWD sent to dealer 3 times before they replaced the Transfer System. That seemed to fix that issue, then the next day not charging fully to 26 Miles, never had this issue prior. Then they seemed to correct it with the two Recalls that just came out. Now I have a Hybrid Charging trouble. My vehicle has been at the dealership more (months) than in my possession.

Otherwise to me its a beautiful driving and looking SUV with Amenities, when everything above functions.

Last edited:
I'm a car nut who follows the car market really closely before ever making a purchase, and I've been following the CX90 since before its reveal and the CX70 (i.e., the CX90 without a third row :cautious:) since before its reveal this week. Love Mazdas (we have a 2019 CX-5) and love the look of the CX90 but was waiting for the CX70 since slightly smaller and less costly would be better for me. But, as most now know, the CX70 is CX90 size, without a third row. So, being a little thrifty, I pivoted back to focus on the CX90 since there are gently used or CPOs out there to be found - and I actually prefer buying CPO vehicles with 15K or less miles for the cost discount and increased warranty.

Well, I am shocked to see how many CX90s - in every trim - are available with less than 10K miles, even lots with 5K or less and the prices are almost universally 17-20% less - with 19% showing up again and again, so lets call that the median discount.

The number ofCX90's available are really high for a new model - i.e, there hasn't even been enough time for people to be 2 years out on a lease and returning those vehicles. There are two other possibilities.

First, these weren't selling as well as Mazda hoped; therefore, dealerships shifted many of them to loaners and "manager's cars" so they could be sold for less as used vehicles without setting off red flags about "huge discounts" on the new model. And let's face it; with near-luxury pricing that was much higher than Mazda's historical ranges, the possibility that many would go unsold - especially at the higher trim levels - was a known risk. (I mean, my wife drives a beautiful premium package BMW X3 we bought for $40K with less than 15K miles. The new CX90 has to compete with CPO luxury cars too.)

Second, and this is the uglier option, people bought the vehicles and returned them because of QC issues. We've all heard about some of those.

I suspect that the pricing issue (and the loaner / manager's car games that led to) is the main factor, and by a wide margin.

Have others noticed this? Different opinions on why so many are available used or CPO and at such discounts?

Replaced My CX-9 2019 for the CX-90 PHEV - Do Not buy the first Gen. I have had nothing but issues since I purchased it in August 2023. These issues have been as follows; AWD sent to dealer 3 times before they replaced the Transfer System. That seemed to fix that issue, then the next day not charging fully to 26 Miles, never had this issue prior. Then they seemed to correct it with the two Recalls that just came out. Now I have a Hybrid Charging trouble. My vehicle has been at the dealership more (months) than in my possession.

Otherwise to me its a beautiful driving and looking SUV with Amenities, when everything above functions.
I would have instituted the "Lemon" law in your state if that happened to me. It works great to handle cars like this. Lemons happen in every batch. We have had three cars (not Mazda) go through lemon law situation and it works but you must follow every direction meticulously.

My 2024 CX-90 PHEV has been flawless. Yes, there have been a couple recalls on mine but I never had the issue the recall addresses. It's been a flawless car for me so far. Amazing car. Better than most out there.

my 20
I'm a car nut who follows the car market really closely before ever making a purchase, and I've been following the CX90 since before its reveal and the CX70 (i.e., the CX90 without a third row :cautious:) since before its reveal this week. Love Mazdas (we have a 2019 CX-5) and love the look of the CX90 but was waiting for the CX70 since slightly smaller and less costly would be better for me. But, as most now know, the CX70 is CX90 size, without a third row. So, being a little thrifty, I pivoted back to focus on the CX90 since there are gently used or CPOs out there to be found - and I actually prefer buying CPO vehicles with 15K or less miles for the cost discount and increased warranty.

Well, I am shocked to see how many CX90s - in every trim - are available with less than 10K miles, even lots with 5K or less and the prices are almost universally 17-20% less - with 19% showing up again and again, so lets call that the median discount.

The number ofCX90's available are really high for a new model - i.e, there hasn't even been enough time for people to be 2 years out on a lease and returning those vehicles. There are two other possibilities.

First, these weren't selling as well as Mazda hoped; therefore, dealerships shifted many of them to loaners and "manager's cars" so they could be sold for less as used vehicles without setting off red flags about "huge discounts" on the new model. And let's face it; with near-luxury pricing that was much higher than Mazda's historical ranges, the possibility that many would go unsold - especially at the higher trim levels - was a known risk. (I mean, my wife drives a beautiful premium package BMW X3 we bought for $40K with less than 15K miles. The new CX90 has to compete with CPO luxury cars too.)

Second, and this is the uglier option, people bought the vehicles and returned them because of QC issues. We've all heard about some of those.

I suspect that the pricing issue (and the loaner / manager's car games that led to) is the main factor, and by a wide margin.

Have others noticed this? Different opinions on why so many are available used or CPO and at such discounts?
My 2024 PHEV been running well since I leased in Nov 2023. On visit has been for some TSB (front suspension creak, sensor and Hybrid Battery Malfunction)... still have the "kick in the rear" at low speeds on the trans issue, so I'll have that addressed at the 5K oil change.

Othewise the car has run well and looks amazing with the white interior.. I was hoping for a smaller CX-70, but will be sticking with the CX-90..

For those who are considering a 2024 CX-90 PHEV, one important thing to look at is the Build Date shown on the driver side door panel. Better pick anything no older the 9/2023. All recalls (8 or so, including the notorious hydraulic leak issue that keep us out of a car for a long while) are before that build date. You can also go to Mazda web site, type in the VIN number found on the windows sticker and you can tell if the car has any recall already serviced or to be serviced.

I looked at the Mazda dealerships in Austin, TX area where I live and today their total (all 3 Austin dealerships) inventory is 51 (23 Preferred, 17 Premium, 11 PP) on the lot.

Last edited:
Back