Infotainment System Bugs

It's not supposed to be adjustable in that sense. It's an on/off feature, with it on, it blinks three times, when it's off, it blinks once. That's how it's designed.

It's not supposed to be adjustable in that sense. It's an on/off feature, with it on, it blinks three times, when it's off, it blinks once. That's how it's designed.

That was not what I got out of the manual. It seemed to state pretty clearly that the number of blinks could be adjusted, unless I somehow really missed it, and I re-read it several times.

The manual I have refers you to the personalization features for changing the lane change signal, section 9-10 (actually on 9-11).
Factory setting: ON.
Available settings: ON / OFF
No mention of being able to vary the number of flashes.

That was not what I got out of the manual. It seemed to state pretty clearly that the number of blinks could be adjusted, unless I somehow really missed it, and I re-read it several times.

Doesn't seem to state that, where exactly did you see that?

I must have an old edition of the manual. Here's what mine states on page 4-50 under "Lane Change Signals" where they discuss operating the turn signal lever up or down halfway:

"A personalization function is available to change the number of flashes. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-10."

Page 9-11 mentions this

"The three-time flash function can be changed. Refer to Settings on page 5-55."

Then, in a nice little merry-go-round ride, the table on page 5-55 simply refers me back to where I started on page 4-49! Weeee!

I found the setting to turn it off or on just by fiddling with the system. I would really have liked to have changed the number of flashes, but I'm guessing Mazda decided to nix that, and I have an old manual.

EDIT: My manual says that it was printed in "June 2013 (Print 1)."

Last edited:
That is weird. My manual is June '13, Print 1 as well. Mine also says the number of flashes can be change on 4-50 but the personalization section definitively says the only setting options are ON/OFF. When they say the number of flashes can be changed, I'm guessing that change is either 1 or 3.

My manual says that it was printed in "Sep. 2013 (Print 1)". On page 4-52 it talks about the Three-flash turn signal and it states that it can be switched to operable/inoperable using the personalization function. So the one-touch function is either turner on (3 flashes) or turned off. One or the other. Anyone else have the Sept 2013 (Print 1) book like mine ?

Last edited:
I just downloaded the newer version.
FWIW, the "Smart Start Guide" has been updated as well.

Last edited:
I'll have to grab a new PDF. My PDF version is probably old, too. I bet that's exactly what it was--1 or 3 flashes, and maybe some Japanese-to-English translation issues made it less clear.

Last edited:
Not sure on the hotspot thing, perhaps there are some permission you have to set?

In regards to mute try "pause" or "audio off" by voice command.

Cheers! :)

I had the black screen happen to me for the first time a couple days ago. Radio worked fine but screen was blank. Shut the car off, turned it back on and all was well again.

Also, every time I use Pandora I have to go on my phone and hit allow. It's an iphone5 running the latest version of ios7. The phone is connected through the Bluetooth and is plugged into the USB, fwiw. I haven't read through the entire thread, so I apologize if it's been covered. Is this normal to come up every time?

I just got the update on Thursday and I'm noticing some issues with my system that I didn't have before. It seems there are times that the screen kind of jumps up and down a little, almost as if there is a bad connection that is being moved around but I know that isn't it since it only seems to do it when I first start up and its importing contacts and such from my phone. Once past that it seems to be okay. I also noticed when on a phone call and I select send audio to handset the radio kicks back on and it didn't do that before. Anybody else experiencing these bugs? I'm wondering if the dealer used the right update or if it did a downgrade. I'm actually wishing I didn't do the upgrade as I wasn't having any problems before and now I am.

Also I noticed the "naviextras" message says I have a 29 day trial when it didn't mention that before the upgrade either... Kind of disappointed here.

Boy, deja vu all over again. I just want through all of these updates with fixes and new bugs introduces with my (two) 2012 Focus Titanium hatchbacks. I spent a couple of years going through multiple updates, and it wasn't until just before I traded my second one for my 2014 Mazda3 that Ford finally got it mostly right. I sure hope it doesn't take Mazda that long, although the MyFordTouch system was WAY buggier most of the time than my Mazda system is.

Boy, deja vu all over again. I just want through all of these updates with fixes and new bugs introduces with my (two) 2012 Focus Titanium hatchbacks. I spent a couple of years going through multiple updates, and it wasn't until just before I traded my second one for my 2014 Mazda3 that Ford finally got it mostly right. I sure hope it doesn't take Mazda that long, although the MyFordTouch system was WAY buggier most of the time than my Mazda system is.
How frequent where the Ford updates? Mazda has so far dropped about every 6 weeks. 16, 20, and now 25 have been released since September. Hopefully we will see a 30. rev of the firmware in Jan.

I got my firmware updated today. The dealer (Koons) said I was their first one. I had a 10am appointment and decided to wait. I got out of there at 1:30! The service rep came out at 12:30 and told me they had downloaded the update and tried to install it twice but it wouldn't take. Very weird. Luckily I can work anywhere my laptop can connect and they have good wifi and comfortable chairs. :)

How frequent where the Ford updates? Mazda has so far dropped about every 6 weeks. 16, 20, and now 25 have been released since September. Hopefully we will see a 30. rev of the firmware in Jan.

They weren't every 6 weeks, that's for sure. More like every several months. I think I performed 4 or 5 updates while I had the two Focuses.

Back