Infotainment System Bugs

The Mazda interior, including its infotainment system won accolades (I think it was Car & Driver magazine) as the best in its class. Not even Volkswagen could outdo Mazda in this category.
Really, no matter what the designers come up with, it will not be perfect for all owners. That's the way it is with every vehicle that was ever sold to the public.
The important thing is that the more common complaints get acknowledged and fixed.

The Mazda interior, including its infotainment system won accolades (I think it was Car & Driver magazine) as the best in its class. Not even Volkswagen could outdo Mazda in this category.
Really, no matter what the designers come up with, it will not be perfect for all owners. That's the way it is with every vehicle that was ever sold to the public.
The important thing is that the more common complaints get acknowledged and fixed.

Exactly!
The interior of out cars is really a step above the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow....the power of suggestion really works for some. Kinda reminds of the Taylor Swift song and how a reference was made about Starbucks. People believe what they want to believe based on suggestion or if they read it somewhere...hence it must be true.

The poor interior in the Mazda3 was one of the top three things that we disliked about the new Mazdas when we first looked at it. VW interior is meh at best. However, it's better made and looks better in our opinion than the Mazda. However, you shouldn;'t compare the two as it's like comparing Apples and oranges. Heck, I am surprised C&D didn't they compare the interior of the M3 to a Lada? Geesh. Any way, the fact that the accolades you refer to came from C&D speaks mountains. They lost all credibility in my eyes many years ago.

The fact is that any honest service advisor will tell you that they have tonnes of complaints on the infotainment system. All they can do is tell the customer that hopefully the latest update will fix many of the bugs. As far as features or lack of, they tell the customers that maybe a future update will address the quirks. Again, that's if you know someone on the inside (like I do) who is willing to speak about it, instead of carrying on the "white knight" type attitude where it's the best car and a step above the rest, yada, yada, yada.

Any how, aside from the interior esthetics including cheapish feel to it and the horrible infotainment system including poor FM, the Mazda3 is a very solid car...at least it has been historically. However, only time will tell. New studies are suggesting that cars built within the last few years aren't going to be as reliable as generations past.

I trust JD Powers. They're not involved in "beauty pageant" type politics within the auto industry.

Here's an article about the link between vehicle dependability impacted by owner experiences with technology. If you read it, there is no mention of reliability with the Mazda3 line:

WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif.: 25 FEBRUARY 2015 — Bluetooth connectivity and voice recognition issues are the most frequently reported problems after three years of ownership, according to the J.D. Power 2015 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS) released today. Study findings show that technology is playing an increasingly critical role in owners’ perceptions of overall vehicle reliability, which, in turn, is impacting their likelihood to repurchase the same brand next time around.

The study, now in its 26th year, examines problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of 2012 model-year vehicles. Overall dependability is determined by the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The study has been enhanced in 2015 to better measure the quality of today’s vehicles, particularly related to new technologies and features now being offered.[1] The study covers 177 specific problem symptoms grouped into eight major vehicle categories.

The top two problems reported by owners are Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice recognition systems misinterpreting commands. These are also the most frequent problems reported by owners at 90 days, according to the J.D. Power 2014 U.S. Initial Quality Study.SM

“As we’ve seen in our Initial Quality Study, owners view in-vehicle technology issues as significant problems, and they typically don’t go away after the ownership honeymoon period is over,” said Renee Stephens, vice president of U.S. automotive at J.D. Power. “Furthermore, early indications from our upcoming 2015 U.S. Tech Choice Study show that vehicle owner expectations of advanced technology capabilities are growing. Owners clearly want the latest technology in their vehicles, and they don’t hesitate to express their disapproval when it doesn’t work. Their definition of dependability is increasingly influenced by usability.”

Because issues with technology impact overall dependability, they also impact repurchase intent. The study finds that 56 percent of owners who report no problems with their vehicle say they “definitely will” purchase the same brand next time, compared with 43 percent of those who report three or more problems. Together with the fact that 15 percent of new-vehicle buyers indicate they avoided a model because it lacked the latest technological features—up from just 4 percent in 2014[2]—technology clearly plays a key role in affecting future purchase decisions.

Key Study Findings

Among owners who experienced a Bluetooth pairing/connectivity problem, 55 percent say that their vehicle would not recognize their phone, and 31 percent say the phone would not automatically connect when entering their vehicle.
The number of engine/transmission problems remains high. Nearly 30 percent of the reported powertrain problems are a result of automatic transmission hesitation and rough shifting.
Six of the top 10 problems are design-related as opposed to defects or malfunctions.
By vehicle category, the most frequently reported problems are related to exterior, followed by engine/transmission and audio/communication/entertainment/navigation.
Overall vehicle dependability industry-wide averages 147 PP100, or approximately 1.5 problems per vehicle.
“At the three-year point, many owners are thinking about replacing their vehicles, and we find that how they feel about their current vehicle’s quality and dependability impacts their intent to consider purchasing the same brand again,” said Stephens. “Oftentimes, the issues owners experience can be resolved with a software update or, in the case of Bluetooth pairing problems, dealers can step in to help. In cases such as these, proactively reaching out to owners presents an opportunity for automakers and their dealers to engage with customers in a positive way.”

Highest-Ranked Nameplates and Models

Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a fourth consecutive year, with a score of 89 PP100.

Buick (110 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up three rank positions from 2014.
Following Buick in the rankings are Toyota (111 PP100), Cadillac (114 PP100), and Honda and Porsche in a tie (116 PP100 each).
Notable rank improvements from 2014 include Scion (121 PP100), improving by 13 rank positions from 2014; Ram (134 PP100), improving 11 rank positions; and Mitsubishi (140 PP100), improving 10 rank positions.
General Motors Company and Toyota Motor Corporation each receive seven segment awards.

GM models receiving an award include the Buick LaCrosse; Chevrolet Camaro; Chevrolet Malibu; Chevrolet Silverado HD; GMC Sierra LD; GMC Terrain; and GMC Yukon.
Toyota awardees include the Lexus ES; Lexus GX; Scion tC; Scion xB; Scion xD; Toyota Corolla; and Toyota Sienna.
The 2015 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 34,000 original owners of 2012 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded in November and December 2014.

Find more detailed information on vehicle dependability, as well as model photos and specs, at www.jdpower.com/dependability.

- See more at: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study#sthash.39DxG4Vf.dpuf

Additionally, Mazda rates very very close to the bottom in initial quality with the 2014 models (gee what a coincidence...not): http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

Google;6362937 Any how said:
I don't know what you guys get in the USA, but over here in Japan, most of the interior is made of soft touch materials, there is a thick layer of noise insulation material EVERYWHERE, even under the engine cover, loads of it in the trunk, engine bay, wheel arches.

My boss's gasoline BMW X1 is noisier than my car, and the interior is not any better.
Most credible reviewers praised the 3's interior feel.

Im into the 10th month of ownership and I couldn't be happier. Is the car perfect? No, but what car is?

I just brought the 2015 GT fully option 3 days ago. the unit so far is responsive and good to use. I switch from using touch screen to this knob (or the combination)things. The navigation sometimes a bit off, but 3d map looks good so i can tolerate that. nice feature where the system remember the last device and play the last played song (unlike MyFordTouch need to update database almost everytime vehicle start) However, It sometimes cannot detect my usb (1 out of 30 times when start). One more thing, It happens to me once that the light sensor set to the dimmest setting to my HUD and info screen which make me cant see anything, need to set it to manual, then back to auto in order to make it work again. Just wish they car reenable the wifi so i can disable the speed restriction. It really troubles me and the passenger to use the knob to pause the song. also please add a voice to search over the song titles. going through all the alphabet with the knob takes me too long. the Bose noise compensation wonderfully done (I also add a undercoating to my car and make it even quieter dealer says upto 60% but i dont really believe it)...yet still, it is good and I just barely can heard the engine noise while i m sitting beside the truck.0

I think Google needs to buy a Ford Focus and get back to us as to how reliable it is compared to the 3. According to Consumer Reports, which compiles owner data for the previous 5 years, the Mazda line of models placed 6th out of 23 brands. VW came in 17th - I guess their interiors did not impress, just as their sub-par reliability pushed them near the bottom. Japanese cars dominated the top 10 with 70%.

I had a 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer before my 3.
It feels like I bought a car that costs 10 grand more than my "old" Lancer. Even though they are priced similarly, the Mazda just feels like it's in a different class of cars.

Bruns,
For some reason, we apparently don't have as much sound insulation (here in the US) as you do in Japan. We do have soft-touch interior surfaces and the general design of the interior has been compared to Audi's.

I am making a list of bugs that people have come across and going to send it to Mazda.

What bugs have you folks run into? Also, what version OS is installed? Mine is v20.00.007

Here is another bug: usb music load but sometimes cannot change to next song. root menu can be still accessed, previous song work but just cannot go to next song.

This just in:
In the Consumer Reports 2015 Annual Auto issue, Mazda came in second place out of 28 brands in the "Best and Worse Car Brands". Here are the results, which were based upon road-test score, predicted reliability, and percentage of recommended test vehicles:

Lexus
Mazda
Toyota
Audi
Subaru
Porsche
Buick
Honda
Kia
BMW
Acura
Volvo
Hyundai
GMC
Volkswagen
Lincoln
Infiniti
Nissan
Chevrolet
Cadillac
Mercedes-Benz
Scion
Chrysler
Ford
Dodge
Mini
Jeep
Fiat

Also, owners voted the Mazda 3 (2.5) and the Mazda 6 as Most Satisfying in the compact and midsized classes.

The Mazda 3i Touring (hatch and sedan) were included in the list of Best New Cars Under $25,000. The Mazda 6 made the midsize cars list.

Yes, it was a very good year for Mazda. CR went on to say:

Mazda is the sporty-car brand that really builds only one sports car. But from the iconic MX-5 Miata roadster, the Japanese automaker has been able to distill some form of its fun-to-drive identity into every new model it unleashes. That trend has extended to its growing SUV lineup, including the small CX-5 and even smaller CX-3. At a time when automakers are turning their backs on what made them great, it is refreshing to see a brand that understands itself and replicates its sporty DNA in every new car it makes.

In Japan.
The Axela (Mazda3) won best midsize hatch of the year 2014 AND BEST Car of the year.

And for such a small car company, that is truly impressive. Yes, the infotainment system isn't perfect, but everything that really counts to a driving enthusiast, is.

And for such a small car company, that is truly impressive. Yes, the infotainment system isn't perfect, but everything that really counts to a driving enthusiast, is.
Mazda is a small company? Seriously? Mazda is the 15th largest automaker worldwide. BMW is #10.
I think you meant to write ...everything to a "Mazda" enthusiast counts (not car enthusiast) :p

Last edited:
This just in:
In the Consumer Reports 2015 Annual Auto issue, Mazda came in second place out of 28 brands in the "Best and Worse Car Brands". Here are the results, which were based upon road-test score, predicted reliability, and percentage of recommended test vehicles:
Yes, it was a very good year for Mazda. CR went on to say:
Once again, the sheep, I mean general public are easily influenced by their ratings. CR ratings are about as controversial as Yelp ratings.

The only takeaway I ever got from CR was their worst or not recommended list. Time and time again, anything they recommended turned out to be actually a dud (from experience including friends and family). This includes everything from electronics to vehicles. For me, although not perfect, I will stick with JD Powers for ratings.

Come on Google,
Even the real Google likes a rotary!

5b48c009372563db8f22684df4ed7c86.jpg

Once again, the sheep, I mean general public are easily influenced by their ratings. CR ratings are about as controversial as Yelp ratings.

The only takeaway I ever got from CR was their worst or not recommended list. Time and time again, anything they recommended turned out to be actually a dud (from experience including friends and family). This includes everything from electronics to vehicles. For me, although not perfect, I will stick with JD Powers for ratings.

Well, let's see....
CR recommends the Mazda 3 because if its reliability throughout the years. Are you saying that this recommendation holds no value and that Mazda 3s have historically been very troublesome?
CR Recommends Lexus as being very reliable. How many unreliable Lexus vehicles have you owned? I have owned many makes and model vehicles and I can say without a doubt that CR is spot-on when it comes to Lexus. They have been the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I'm talking 10 years with absolutely no issues. Are they as fun to drive as a Mazda? No way, but CR's reliability rating for them is soooo true.
CR recommends the Toyota Camry hybrid. You really believe that you would never trust this car for reliability?

Your mistrust has no basis when it comes to the overall picture. I bought my 01 Corvette (in 01), despite the unreliable rating that CR placed on this car and boy did I suffer because of that decision. My MX5 has been stellar - exactly as depicted in CR's auto ratings. This is why I sold the Corvette (the MX5 spoiled me)

let's just be clear folks. i have no brand loyalty. i get this is a mazda forum and some people will never accept any negative criticism or see any...that's part of some people's psychology.

concept, I am not going to try change your mind. I've lived long enough to know it's pointless. There's ample [reliable] information on the internet regarding consumer reports and who their rating system is not so reliable should you choose to examine it :)

any how...mazda will be changing the infotainment system software altogether for the 3s starting with the 2016 model years. the ugly display screen will also receive a makeover and look-wise, it seems to be better.

the poor reception which seems to be attributed to the built-in antenna into the windshield which has plagued the infotainment with reception issues will also have either a large or small sharkfin antenna. the base model will likely retain built in antenna. some of the 2015s already are starting to see the changes with the antenna.

sadly those who own a 2014 and 2015 Mazda3 won't be able to have their infotainment s/w upgraded. that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

in any event, mazda is making positive changes....and that's always a good thing :)

IMO.... the car reliability/problem area ratings have value. I send back my car survey every year. Unless the thousands that send back their vehicle surveys every year are lying this info is of value. That data has been accurate on every vehicle I have owned.

Subjective tests & recommendations are one things but the reliability feedback is useful just like TrueDelta.

JD Powers... ironically found this article from 2010 written by Michael Karesh (True Delta)

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-jd-powers-2010-vehicle-dependability-survey/

My car has the built in antenna only for digital TV,
The radio one os in the shark fin(hatchback)
In japan, I have NEVER experienced bad signal

Plus, the screen itself is removable so I don't see it being a big hassle to replace.
If they do come up with something cooler, I will definitely work out a way of retro fitting.

Back