impressions of a '14 CX-5 GT after long road trip

socalcx-5

Bought the car about a month ago, just got back from a 1200 mile road trip and wanted to share my thoughts. It might sound like I'm complaining about a lot of things, but let me make it clear up front that I really like this car a lot and think it's about as fun to drive as a crossover can be.

-engine/transmission; this was my biggest issue with the car upon test driving it, but I'm happy to report that it's more powerful than I originally thought. It takes a little getting used to the pedal response/shift points, but once you do the engine feels sufficiently powerful. On the highway I still found it best to drive in 'manual' mode and downshift a gear or two when passing. One annoyance I did find in fully automatic mode, was cruising at 70-75 MPH the transmission couldn't decide between 5th and 6th gear. I would have my foot on the gas and the engine would hold 5th gear at 3500 or so RPM, and when I eased off just slightly it would go to 6th but then slow down. I couldn't find that happy spot of holding 73 MPH or so with the car in 6th gear. This car won't ever be mistaken for a 6 cylinder or a turbo, but it gets the job done.

-fuel economy; the manual doesn't lie - the best MPG is found cruising 65 MPH and under. I was using cruise control on the 10 FWY in the middle of the desert and had it pegged at 85 most of the way and my MPG was stuck at 24 for most of the trip. Cruising around highways at 60-70 MPH however, and you start to see 30+ MPG. One sort of annoying thing - even with the cruise control set, my 'Current MPG' would jump all over the place, changing drastically every few seconds.

-interior; nothing substantial except for some nitpicky things: the seat heaters are weak, no 2 ways about it. The max setting is equivalent to most cars' lowest or middle setting. The high side bolsters on the front seats do become a small annoyance when getting in and out of the car frequently. The placement of the clock and other readouts is really low compared to most other cars and takes some getting used to. You really have to take your eyes off the road to see what time it is. No compass on the auto-dimming rearview mirror is disappointing. I definitely have the driver side mirror shake - it is practically unusable on the highway.

-xenon headlights; if you're debating the cost of the tech package, the xenons alone are worth it IMO. They're fantastic.

-fuel tank; small compared to other cars in this class, which takes a little bit of the fuel economy advantage away in terms of frequenting the gas station.

-handling; the car's best asset, far and away. Our other car is a BMW 3-series, and the Mazda feels comparable, though definitely a little lighter in terms of the steering response. Light years ahead of my old Honda Accord and the other crossovers we test drove. Took the CX-5 through some mountain twisties and it was a blast. Car behavior is extremely predictable and inspires confidence.

-color; we went with Liquid Silver at my wife's choosing, and I couldn't be happier. I had wanted Meteor Grey, but now that I see some on the road, it's just too dark and a little blah (IMO of course). Liquid Silver should really be called Gun Metal Grey, as it's a very smokey, dark silver and not at all typical.

all in all I think this is a great car and am very happy with my purchase,

Wow nice review!

I wanted to do a similar thread, since I just came back from florida to quebec (2800km in 2 days).

i have pretty much the same impression as you:

this CX5 is as close to a car for driving dynamics as any suv must be in this class. i used to have a mazdaspeed 3 and apart from the power, the handling and steering is as enjoyable.

my main gripe, is the small gas tank, if it was just a bit bigger like you mentionned, It would be great for this kind of a trip.
Also, the driver side mirror shaking was a pain (getting it checked/fixed this week) that and the hood bounce and the lever for steering adjustement (buzzes on bumpy roads).

for all the tom tom haters out there, I fully enjoyed mine, and coulnt have imagined doing this kind of a trip without it.
some have also complained about the seat comfort, I can say for myself that my driver seat was very comfortable, and I just changed my position and hight on a regular basis to help not get tired.
heated seats work fine on mine, leaving them on level 2 is perfect, because on level 3 they are hot enough to make my buns sweat.

i have dealer installed hid, and they where great for night driving. some people in front of me didnt like them as much tho and tought I was on high beams... maybe they are too high and need to be adjusted.

I just had my first oil change just a few days before my trip down to florida, and I think all this mileage on new oil just woke up the engine, it feels smoother, stronger, more quiet than before, and driving at 70 mph was so effortless, pedal input was just a slight push and feedback for acceleration was great.
I really enjoyed driving this "car" and came back even more impressed and happy with my purchase.

The transmission hunting gears is an indication that you are going too fast for optimal conditions essentially. If there is much of a headwind (15mph or so) at all, 75 is too fast to take advantage of 6th. You would be best to lock it in 5th, which at those engine loads wont affect fuel economy noticeably (it will be low).

The instant fuel economy changing fast is normal. It goes to show how sensitive fuel economy is to engine load. This is why the Hypermileing nerds can achieve above EPA economy. They pay close attention to engine load an use minimal throttle inputs. Cruse control does not give the best fuel economy. It varies engine load wildly in order to keep a speed no matter what. Search for Driving with Load (DWL). This is what truckers are taught to do in order to save diesel. Its best to just look at average fuel economy if the constant changing is annoying.

+1 Instantaneous fuel consumption can be interesting but, Ave MPG is the bottom line of the real world cost.

Just got back from my Vegas trip in my 2014 Touring AWD, on the way there from the Bay to Vegas, 1st tank: 26.4mpg (mixed driving), 2nd tank: 27.1mpg (all highway driving with some hills), 3rd tank: 23.4mpg (city idle in Vegas, going up the hill on Highway 15 at high speed), 4th tank: 30.5mpg (from Vegas to Lost Hills(hwy46 near highway 5))

The car was responsive throughout when passing and going up hill, went up all the hills easily and can keep up with the flow of traffic. The only thing I sort of hate is when the transmission shifts really early/fast in city driving when I want to pass some cars from stop light, which usually results in downshifting again.

The ride was decent, not extremely comfortable for the long drive, at least to me after driving for 3 hours and 45 min before making one stop for break.

I drove my CX-5 sport manual on a little trip of about 330 miles. I hate to drive very far anymore, but the CX-5 made it enjoyable. The instant economy at 70 miles per hour was 34mpg at 80 it was 30mpg. After the trip my average economy was 28mpg but when I figured it out myself I came up with 29mpg. I had a 06 Scion XB manual, it could go 80 but it let you know your were going 80. Once I got above 70 I'd reach to shift again only to realize that I was already in 5th. With the CX-5 I'd be in 6th gear and check my speed and be shocked to see that I was going 95.

The transmission hunting gears is an indication that you are going too fast for optimal conditions essentially. If there is much of a headwind (15mph or so) at all, 75 is too fast to take advantage of 6th. You would be best to lock it in 5th, which at those engine loads wont affect fuel economy noticeably (it will be low).

The instant fuel economy changing fast is normal. It goes to show how sensitive fuel economy is to engine load. This is why the Hypermileing nerds can achieve above EPA economy. They pay close attention to engine load an use minimal throttle inputs. Cruse control does not give the best fuel economy. It varies engine load wildly in order to keep a speed no matter what. Search for Driving with Load (DWL). This is what truckers are taught to do in order to save diesel. Its best to just look at average fuel economy if the constant changing is annoying.

yeah, i get that the current mpg is going to change often, it's just that in other cars I've driven the number didn't change as often or as drastically, especially on the highway. Within 5 seconds my CX-5 would display 3 different numbers, all at least 10+ miles different from one another, and again that is going at the same speed on a flat stretch of road. Makes it kind of useless, IMO. Not a big deal, just found it odd/disappointing.

Also, I'll second that I find the seats in this car very comfortable. I experienced very little fatigue after driving 6-7 hours.

Wow nice review!

i have dealer installed hid, and they where great for night driving. some people in front of me didnt like them as much tho and tought I was on high beams... maybe they are too high and need to be adjusted.

What do you mean, they installed HID? They installed a drop in kit?

The dealer probably bought $30 DDM Tuning HID lights from ddmtuning.com and sold it to him for several hundred dollars more plus installation.

pjensen641 said:

yeah, i get that the current mpg is going to change often, it's just that in other cars I've driven the number didn't change as often or as drastically, especially on the highway. Within 5 seconds my CX-5 would display 3 different numbers, all at least 10+ miles different from one another, and again that is going at the same speed on a flat stretch of road. Makes it kind of useless, IMO. Not a big deal, just found it odd/disappointing.

Also, I'll second that I find the seats in this car very comfortable. I experienced very little fatigue after driving 6-7 hours.

PJenson has the fuel economy stuff right. The "instant" fuel economy on the CX-5 is not quite instant as apps like Torque connected bluetooth updates many times a second and shows a much better picture of what is always happening. The "skyactive" tech is much more efficient than a normal engine in light load operation so you can see how the effective fuel economy will be much more variable than another engine.

The dealer probably bought $30 DDM Tuning HID lights from ddmtuning.com and sold it to him for several hundred dollars more plus installation.

lol... not that bad

they are hid bulbs with ballast and it cost 75$ tax in.

not to bad, compared to the full 1795$ needed to get the tech package that the HID comes with.

I just wanted better lighting than the stock bulbs, which it does without getting stuff I didn't want.

That most like will create glare to the oncoming traffic, but I will do it myself too anyway.

Back